CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a lot of controversy over the need for a Gear Indicator on the CTX 1300. I get what both sides are saying but it is a choice and I made the choice to add one.

I am not the best rider out there and I get forgetful at times, including forgetting to get all the wat to 1st gear when I stop at a light. Now I just have a little reminder to help me know just what gear I am in at any given time. It will also tell me I am already in 5th gear when I want to upshift going 50.

I got a cheap Gear Indicator and housing from Amazon and for some odd reason that eludes me know I chose Green for the color.

Here is a bit about my insulation if anyone is interested.

It was about as simple as it could be, the direction were easy to follow and it took me less than 30 minutes for the whole job.
  1. Remove the seat and find the 4 pin diagnostic port. Remove the cover and connect the matching Gear Indicator plug.

1. Remove the cap form the port. There is one small tab that needs to be released to remove the cap. It looks like more but only one is holding the plug in. I remounted the cap for future use.

1. Plug in the Gear Indicator plug to the diagnostic port.

1. There is no programming, you just run through the gears and it figures it out. I did it once and it worked.
  1. Run the wire to your gage cluster, mount where wanted and you are good to go.

Video Running Through Gears

The whole thing cost me $57.97 and 30 minutes of time. I am happy with my decision and think it is a good addon.

Thanks,
James

Registered
Black 2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
Great post James! Recently bought my CTX, so I'm still in the "getting used to it" phase 馃槉. So far, so good...but a gear indicator would DEFINITELY be nice. Thanks for this! Ride safe, ride often, and enjoy it all - Diz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only had mine a few weeks so I am still in that phase as well. I am having fun getting use to my new bike and putting some of the personal touches we all like. Enjoy your CTX and thanks for the post.

Thanks,
James

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James, Can you post EXACTLY what you bought from Amazon? Thanks Joe
No that is my private information! haha

The gear indicator is this one: Amazon Gear Indicator Link

And the littiel housing (that is a bit too small) is this one: Amazon GI Housing Link

The gear indicator comes with the plug assembled, the pictures make it seems like you need to put it on but it was assembled and ready to connect when I got it.

Thanks,
James

Registered
The good thing is if you own many Honda鈥檚 it will fit them all(as long as there鈥檙e injected) .mines gone from my race blade to my wife鈥檚 ctx700 ,to my cb now on the 1300

Registered
Black 2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
I have only had mine a few weeks so I am still in that phase as well. I am having fun getting use to my new bike and putting some of the personal touches we all like. Enjoy your CTX and thanks for the post.

Thanks,
James
Following up...received and installed my gear indicator yesterday. Couldn鈥檛 be happier! Thanks once again 馃檹馃従 Ride safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts