CTX 1300 Forum banner

Added Bar Mounted Mirrors

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sleepngbear 
#1 ·
Finally got around to adding some bar mounted mirrors since the stock mirrors (even with my added blind spot mirrors) just weren't cutting it. I kept feeling uncomfortable not knowing what was happening around me.

You can find these or similar online at eBay or Amazon. I was scrolling through all kinds of mirrors that fit Honda's on eBay and stumbled across these.

Got some EMGO Honda OEM replacement mirrors for a CB1000R. Here the plastic covers that slide over the mounting screws are raised as I was adjusting them during my ride, stopping to adjust with a wrench, then road testing some more. I was real picky when searching for mirrors because many of the cool looking ones have too long aluminum arms that would place the mirrors way over the ends of the bars plus they probably vibrate more.

The stock Honda type mirrors come on short steel arms, have the mounts that screw into the existing mirror mounting holes on your lever mounts and they have the locking nut on the metal arms that screw into the mounts. That small detail is important since it lets you rotate the mirror arm where you want it then you can lock it into place with the locking nut. These things always confuse me since the arm and locking nuts are reverse threaded.

These don't look too bad since their shape sort of mimics the shape of the fairing mounted mirrors. The CB1000R is that "naked" that Honda builds in Italy so it has those different Euro-shapes for various components, versus the simpler more rounded mirrors for the new CB500 series which I also have since I used them on my previous CB1100.

Here's the part numbers if you're interested along with those two black screws that cover the mirror mounting holes on the lever mounts. They're nylon so just unscrew them, no need to be careful. At first I thought they were aluminum so I cautiously used a piece of aluminum to loosen them, doh.

Aloha,
Huladog

See less See more
#2 ·
...... and now I've removed them!

Noticed after riding with the bar mounted mirrors that my old eyes were having a harder time having to focus way back to the bar mounted mirrors.

With the stock fairing mounted mirrors (with those adjustable blind spot mirrors I added) my eyes are focused farther away along the same plane as the gauges/display so I don't have to strain and refocus.

Yeah, plus the bike looks a lot slicker without the bar mounted mirrors!

Aloha,
Huladog

#3 ·
Another reason I am likely to not use bar mounted mirrors. I am also having a harder time refocusing on points at different distances easily. I like the idea of putting those extra mirrors that attach on top of the existing fairing mirrors though. I do think those look OK with this bike and if mounted as far out as possible will be able to pick up on what is directly behind past the hands. Someone else here has those mounted.

#4 ·
I have another brand of mirror that looks the same as those.
I use them mostly for city driving and the fairing mount for the rest of my riding.
Each could be used as primary depending on your own ergonomics.
I like the fairing(stock) mirrors and would not remove them even if it was easy, but the added benefit for my own situation is nice.
Having said that doesn't mean I'm not open to changing again in the future (for various reasons which may or may not include old fart focusing syndrome which I may or may not have:wink:)
<-----Bears are not known for eating carrots!!!!!

#5 ·
I've also gone and ordered a pair of real reading glasses since I can't stand it now that I simply cannot see well enough to do detailed repair work around the house and on the bike!

At least I ordered a pair with outrageous bright green arms on the frame so I can see them laying around the house and nobody is going to mistake MY reading glasses as their own.

Aloha,
Huladog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.