CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after owning this bike for almost 2 years and being frustrated with the tiny "storage" cubbies and inability to easily install a tank bag (all plastic and no good strapping points) I was going to go the SW Motech EVO quick release route as another member did (I made a 3D model of the tank ring when I used the system on my previous bike so I could share it with my second bike at the time) but went another, cheaper way. 4 holes in the fuel door, some misc hardware (nylon inserts, rubber washers and plastic nuts/bolts) and there you have it. The bag is a Sedici T2 Tank Bag from Cycle Gear.

I cut off the magnet flaps, and installed it "backwards as I wanted the compartments to open away from me to make it easier to get into while sitting on the bike. I chose all plastic hardware as it's less susceptible to vibration (no coming loose) and don't have to worry about moisture affecting it. It's not perfect, and the bag has to stay on the bike, but it will do what I need it to do, which is give me room to put items I may need (phone, snacks, wallet, toll tag box) within reach without getting off the bike.

Oh, and yeah Honda, I love this bike, but you could have made those two "storage" pockets a usable size and/or provided us with an official tank bag solution.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
The one thing I ever won at a poker run, a really nice tank bag, with magnetic mounts. I gave it to my son in law for his bike. 😂

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@tweak89 Looks good. How much weight do you think the tank door flap can handle when lifted to fill the tank?
I'm not too sure, I don't usually overstuff my tank bag, even when touring. But, if I had a full water bottle in it or something like that I might remove it. But, with the way it's positioned, the bag itself will bear some of the weight as it will be resting on the tank with the door fully open. Luckily, the fuel door is pretty cheap, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Nice idea. I like it. But I tape my tour day's directions and reminders to pick up milk right above that door. If I mounted one of those, I'd get lost.o_O

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not too sure, I don't usually overstuff my tank bag, even when touring. But, if I had a full water bottle in it or something like that I might remove it. But, with the way it's positioned, the bag itself will bear some of the weight as it will be resting on the tank with the door fully open. Luckily, the fuel door is pretty cheap, lol.
I'd order a spare fuel flap now, while you can still get one. Keep in mind, this bike model is seven years old now and no more parts manufactured for it. I had trouble finding another set of Kuryakyn front floor boards after a car side swiped me and broke one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd order a spare fuel flap now, while you can still get one. Keep in mind, this bike model is seven years old now and no more parts manufactured for it. I had trouble finding another set of Kuryakyn front floor boards after a car side swiped me and broke one.
Already got one for $15 used. Mostly for when/if I sell it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts