CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly off topic, but I'm looking for fellow CTX rider perspectives.

We're planning a week in Arizona in October this year. There will be 4 people total looking to ride 2 bikes. The rental outfit we found doesn't have any CTXs in that location: for tourers it looks like our choices are BMW R1200RT, Gold Wing, or Harleys (Road Glide Ultra or Ultra Classic).

We can only get one RT, and the other rider in my group wants it bad. For those who've owned them, how do you think I'll find a Gold Wing to lug around on a 5-day tour of the southwest? I'm sure it'll ride fine, since we're using it for what it was made for! Just wondering about the weight in parking lots and busy cities we pass through.

Would any of you try to talk me into renting a Harley over the Wing? I road a Road King years back one afternoon and basically hated it - the vibration, the top-heaviness, the way you could feel the engine wanted to torque you sideways if you came close to stalling it. But then again I'm a much more experienced rider now. I think the Harleys are still 100lbs or more lighter, right?

I'm 99% sure I'll go for the Gold. :)

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I would say go for the Gold. It is heavier, but the ride will be awesome. Just expect to do some wrestling with it in close traffic and you'll be fine. It gets old for doing that over a long time but for a short rent it's not too bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having rented many bikes over the years, the HD touring bikes are a second or third choice. That unbalanced engine is not to my liking. Of that list, I would go BMW or Honda. I also didn't like being associated with the HD 'brotherhood', and the douchebaggery that goes along with it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Having rented many bikes over the years, the HD touring bikes are a second or third choice. That unbalanced engine is not to my liking. Of that list, I would go BMW or Honda. I also didn't like being associated with the HD 'brotherhood', and the douchebaggery that goes along with it.
What, you don't drink hard liquor? :smiley-party0005:

Reactions: Tallboy

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Road King and loved it very good bike a 2011 model, the new Rushmore models are another step forward, if you have a chance of a test ride give it a go. Goldwings are great bikes but feel far too big for UK roads which are in London just long car parks, whatever you choose have loads of fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I rented a wing from Eagle rider in Vegas a few years ago. I hadn't ridden one before so chose that specifically. It was really good for what you are doing. We put about 1500 miles on it. Yes they are cumbersome in the city, but not so bad. My only problem was, in bringing all our gear, I forgot my hot weather gloves. Grabbed a pair off the rack in Vegas. The ones with the fingers cut off. The sweat on my fingers created a problem every stop. Slippery on clutch and brake handles. Full fingered light leather is best for me.
I had no trouble with the bike otherwise, and actually liked it a lot. Great on the slabs in California and Arizona. Even what shows on the map as a side road in those areas can be divided four lane. I would choose the Wing again for sure.

My buddy had the BMW RT before. I rode it several times for 2 hours or more. All I could stand. The boxer vibrated the mirrors to make them useless. I was so uncomfortable I couldn't go more than an hour between stops. My daughter felt the same way on pillion. She has been all over with me, to compare. But it did perform and handle closer to the CTX. His was the 2004. He now has a 2011 Roadglide CVO. That's pretty **** good, for a HD....

But I(we) love my CTX, and can ride all day. Nothing goes numb, no cramps, can still walk in the evening.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was basing my options on what Eagle Rider, who seem to be the dominant rental outfit, had available. The competitors based around Phoenix all have much crappier websites, which I probably too unfairly judge businesses by. I found another outfit with more ST options (ST1300, FJR1300, Kawasaki Concours, R1200RT, K1600) and I'm going hold out before settling on an awkwardly huge bike.

Any thoughts on those options? Obviously we have some ST1300 fans and former owners here. I know I've found the R1200 to be amazingly comfortable to sit on and seems like it'd be a blast to ride. The Concours has a slightly more aggressive riding position that would have me concerned about multi-day rides but otherwise seems plush (I've only sat on one at a dealer). I've never even seen an FJR1300 in person and have no opinion on it.

I was amused to see that even BMW's flagship tourer, the K1600GTL, is several hundred pounds lighter than the Wing.

I don't think I'll reconsider a Harley unless everything else in the state is sold out. It doesn't seem to me like the rental fleets are necessarily overflowing with the post-Rushmore models.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
reading remarks on the ST-Owners forum the ST1300 and K1600 are closest to our CTX, yet still more sporty. The others you mention are just plain more aggressively sporty. But that's not from experience. Take it as an opinion based on the word of others who like those bikes better.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth go for the Wing,missed mine on our recent trip to Vienna,Ausria.
Although the CTX performed well and was more economical nothing compares to the Wing IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Indian and Victory of Scottsdale has rentals.
Rentals Indian & Victory Motorcycles of Scottsdale Scottsdale, AZ (480) 607-7070
You may find the Victory Vision not pleasing to the eye,but you'd be
hard-pressed to find a more comfortable long-distance bike.Smoother
than the Harley and less cumbersome than the Gold Wing.Probably
the best wind protection of any bike out there.The floorboards let you
stretch your legs.VV would be my choice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indian and Victory of Scottsdale has rentals.
Rentals Indian & Victory Motorcycles of Scottsdale Scottsdale, AZ (480) 607-7070
You may find the Victory Vision not pleasing to the eye,but you'd be
hard-pressed to find a more comfortable long-distance bike.Smoother
than the Harley and less cumbersome than the Gold Wing.Probably
the best wind protection of any bike out there.The floorboards let you
stretch your legs.VV would be my choice.
I contacted them, actually, wondering if they had any Indian Roadmasters in their rental fleet. They don't. They mentioned they have the Vision, but my understanding is the foot position on those boards is still rather feet-forward big-cruiser more than feet-mid like the CTX or straight under like other tourers. Not sure I want that.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I contacted them, actually, wondering if they had any Indian Roadmasters in their rental fleet. They don't. They mentioned they have the Vision, but my understanding is the foot position on those boards is still rather feet-forward big-cruiser more than feet-mid like the CTX or straight under like other tourers. Not sure I want that.

Jeff
I also ride a 2008 Vision, coming off a 2003 GL1800 Goldwing, and you would be amazed at how comfortable the ride is with your feet being forward like that. If it feels a little too far forward for the controls, they can be moved 1" or 2" back in less than 2 minutes by simply removing 1 screw, sliding the control back in it's slot and then putting the screw back in. The only other step necessary is to adjust the shift linkage for the gear shift and away you go. Be prepared for the big V-Twin thumping vibration as you pull away from a stop but once into 2 gear all is perfectly smooth. For riders of other V-Twin powered bikes there is a reason Victory's slogan is "Ride One and You'll Own One".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts