CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a potential buyer of the CTX 1300. I am not fond of the looks of the front end but with the huge discounts offered and Honda's reliability I my close my eyes and buy anyway as my VTX1300R has 111,000 miles on it but runs fine. It has carried me on a dozen IBA rides plus 49 states & DC along with 8 provinces.

The one thing I am curious about is there any after market stuff available for the CTX 1300? I can't find much. One of the things I am interested is some sort of highway bars/tip over bars/engine guards or whatever a person wants to call them so I can mount an alternate place to move my feet. I am old and get stiff on thousand mile days. There are several other things I would be interested in.

Is there a good source for after market stuff?

Thanks
Leroy

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Hi Leroy,
I am sorry to say that there isn't yet a huge amount of aftermarket parts available for the CTX1300. You will find a few windshields, a couple of seats, and not much else that isn't a universal part. That said, I think I would have to think VERY hard about buying a bike that I considered to be ugly. Especially if you are going to spend a lot of time with it. Better to buy a gently used recent model that makes your heart flutter when you see it. Good luck, and I do hope you change your mind about the looks of the CTX. It's a fantastic motorcycle, its just not for everyone... And Honda hasn't done a great job marketing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum @leroys73.
As Shane said, there really isn't much aftermarket stuff for the CTX1300. There is a member here, @menosabe, who makes a bracket for mounting highway pegs and he does good work. The bike does have engine guards already but just not what a typical v-twin cruiser rider is used to seeing. They are the pegs sticking out just in front of the cylinder head covers. There really is a heavy steel bar behind the plastic cover there and it does protect the engine as it is designed to do. I also agree with Shane about the looks. Most of us do really like the looks, but if there is ever a reason not to buy this bike it would be for not liking how it looks. You can only close your eyes for so long and then what bothers you about the bike will bother you more. Many of us are from the ranks of sport touring or touring bikes rather than v-twins so this bike fits in well with the looks of that style. Though there are plenty of v-twin riders here who like the looks of this bike as well. It is important to like what your bike looks like.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@leroys73,
Welcome and ditto on what was said above. There is always a BUT though. You can love your child with all your heart even if that child is ugly.
So, I don't know how much the appearance percentage wise of your requirements is important. We are not trying to discourage you, but don't want you to be unhappy with your choice.
So far there are two solutions for the highway bars. One is mentioned above with a fellow member making a special bracket.
The other is a member that bought the offset Kury bars, made an extension coming out from the frame just behind where the pipes curve.
One is relatively low cost and looks good. The bracket looks better, is also adaptable for lights, and of course a bit more expensive.
Some have found that floor boards are enough, but it sounds like you need a greater range of movement.
You say you are old, beware, this is the sister group know as AARP CTX1300 riders group!!!!! (Ok, I just made that up, but you understand what I mean).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

Floor boards are available? Yes that might be a good idea. Most of the bike I like. It is the front end that looks goofy to me. The taller windshield helps the looks a lot. I am in love with the engine. I wanted a ST1300 because of the engine and weather protection but the seat height was just too tall for my liking, I am a short dude. The CTX1300 does seem to fit me almost as well as my VTX, maybe better at the bars.

Since just coming back from a 9000 mile trip I need to take my X in for some service so I plan to demo the CTX. I have considered the Triumph Trophy and since I like cruisers the Triumph Rocket III. But Honda reliability can't be beat and the CTX is the only one Honda has at present that meets my requirements. I just have to decide if I can grow to like the looks of the front end. We'll see.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
demo

I test rode a CTX1300 today. I liked the ride. Handling was very good as was the breaking. Of course acceleration was outstanding. The seat was comfortable and the bars were almost perfect. It does fit me well in stock form.

If I can accept the looks of the front and convince myself I am ready to buy I'll be working on the salesman to meet his competitor's price as in $6500 off sticker instead of $4000. $6500 off sure does make things prettier.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I test rode a CTX1300 today. I liked the ride. Handling was very good as was the breaking. Of course acceleration was outstanding. The seat was comfortable and the bars were almost perfect. It does fit me well in stock form.

If I can accept the looks of the front and convince myself I am ready to buy I'll be working on the salesman to meet his competitor's price as in $6500 off sticker instead of $4000. $6500 off sure does make things prettier.
Welcome to the forum! One of the after-market goodies that you can look into is a wind screen from Cee Bailey's. Multiple heights and tint levels can really do a lot to change the look and functionality.

Good luck with the dickering on the price -- hope they come down enough for you. Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yeah... Me too! Hope you get it! You will enjoy it. The looks will grow on you. I'm gonna be honest and that I wasn't sure about the looks of this bike at first but the more I look at it the more I like it. I've had several compliments on my bike as far as how it looks. So I think she's a keeper!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
The front end looks very different when you add the tall windshield. If you're not sure that you like the Honda tall shield, other options come from this website. Cee Baileys | Honda CTX 1300 Windshield
This company has other options that help customize the bike.
By the way, the designer that made the CTX1300 made it to represent the American bald eagle.
My wife is 5'2" and loves her CTX1300. We just did six 10 hour days riding thru SD, Wyoming, Montana. The bike is very comfortable and you can ride without feeling beat at days end.
As for the price, most of the riders on this forum bought there bike about a year ago or so and paid around $16000.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine for sale with MENOSABEs highway peg mounts with the cree LED lights, Russel day long touring saddle with heat and matching drivers back rest, factory tail trunk, ROx handlebar risers( 2 inches back), Garmin TPMS valve caps, both honda windshields( tall and stock short), Has a bridgestone run flat on rear with about 10,000 miles left on it plus the stock factory rear tire with only 800 miles on it. CEE Baileys saddle bag liners,
still has factory warranty left on it,,, $8400.00 this price includes all the listed options,, over 2000.00 worth

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
That's a great price. Shipping to you isn't that expensive if you aren't sure about how to get the bike to you . A few years back i paid $600 to have a bike transported from Pittsburgh to Dallas. Here is the link to help you get a rough estimate. Motorcycle Shipping | Get Quotes from Shippers & Transporters
Uship is the broker and transporters are usually independent so you might drop price a little if it seems to high.
Not sure on kniteriders case but most Honda warranty's are transferable.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes it transferrable,, and I got the 3 year full warranty. Shoot a plane ticket back home and I would ride it out to him,,NEVER turn down a reason for a ride

·
Registered
147 Posts

For a bike that's almost 800lbs wet this bike is pretty flickable and holds its weight well.. The brakes you'll learn are almost too good. Lol
The brakes are amazingly powerful. Did you notice the size of the rear rotor? This bike is much nicer in person and when you get riding it you realize the quality. LED lights on these are super bright.
But the bad side of it is that it's a rare oddball bike without a niche and barely an aftermarket. Honda covers a lot of the essentials but anywhere else it's barely existent. The suspension is set for cruising for days but not exactly for the canyons. However with that said with some tweeking this bike could handle.
This is a bike that will take the miles . The ST1300 which is the "OG" for this motor you'll see with 100,000 miles plus . The CTX is down tuned and even less stressed which means even more reliable. These bikes are VERY underrated and for the prices they're going for you're getting them for a song.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one I demoed had the tall shield. I have already looked a Cee Bailey as I know they make quality products. I most likely would go with them for a tall shield as they have the adjustable vent in the shield. Yep the brakes are fantastic.

Yesterday I demoed the GW Valk with the fake leather bags, almost the same price and weight but I think the CTX fit me better. I love the GW engine but for my long distance riding, of the two, I think the CTX would fit better.

One dealer here in Dallas, Al Lamb, has the deluxe for $10999 no extras. I'd rather buy from RPM but at first visit they were about 3K higher with the tail trunk installed.

I'll have to think about it. I don't really have to have a new bike since I am sure my VTX will run me for a lot more miles even if it does have 111K on it. But with Al Lamb quoting that price I may need to jump early.

Thanks for all the input. If I jump I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The one I demoed had the tall shield. I have already looked a Cee Bailey as I know they make quality products. I most likely would go with them for a tall shield as they have the adjustable vent in the shield. Yep the brakes are fantastic.

Yesterday I demoed the GW Valk with the fake leather bags, almost the same price and weight but I think the CTX fit me better. I love the GW engine but for my long distance riding, of the two, I think the CTX would fit better.

One dealer here in Dallas, Al Lamb, has the deluxe for $10999 no extras. I'd rather buy from RPM but at first visit they were about 3K higher with the tail trunk installed.

I'll have to think about it. I don't really have to have a new bike since I am sure my VTX will run me for a lot more miles even if it does have 111K on it. But with Al Lamb quoting that price I may need to jump early.

Thanks for all the input. If I jump I'll let you all know.

I can still save you 2000. over that price PLUS you get a whole lot of extras

·
Registered
833 Posts
hi menosabe, i wander if you can sent me e-mail about the highway peg bracket for my bike, the cost plus s/h to [email protected] and some details how to install it. Thanks...
Coastline, click on his name in any post and PM him. I have his rear spill bars, High Quality and reasonably priced.
WELCOME it the Forum from the Hoosier Heartland!!!!!!! :smileygarden_de_ban

1 - 18 of 18 Posts