CTX 1300 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Those seem universal, but not compatible.

·
Super Moderator
5,480 Posts
So many pipes LOOK like they would work but none will. Our mufflers have the inlet going into the can in the center of the SIDE of it rather than in the front of the can as is normal for most other bikes.

See my post in this thread HERE on that showing a diagram of this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So many pipes LOOK like they would work but none will. Our mufflers have the inlet going into the can in the center of the SIDE of it rather than in the front of the can as is normal for most other bikes.

See my post in this thread HERE on that showing a diagram of this.
GOOD Point!

·
Registered
384 Posts
So many people want to change the exhaust just to spend money it seems. There is no performance to be had without a remap and intake change so why waste the $$$. If you want more "sound" then you can easily drill these muffs and be done with it:smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
37 Posts
So many people want to change the exhaust just to spend money it seems. There is no performance to be had without a remap and intake change so why waste the $$$. If you want more "sound" then you can easily drill these muffs and be done with it:smiley-happy0034:
"Drill a muff", I like it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a staintune exhaust on my VFR. made it sound like a V8 but when you riding on the highway it was very pleasant. Maybe find some of those and figure out how to retrofit to the CTX. I was hoping there were some options here because it seems that 75HP and 700lbs isnt quite enough.

What RPM do your engines run say going 75mph? I see these are only 5 speeds.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I had a staintune exhaust on my VFR. made it sound like a V8 but when you riding on the highway it was very pleasant. Maybe find some of those and figure out how to retrofit to the CTX. I was hoping there were some options here because it seems that 75HP and 700lbs isnt quite enough.

Don't let the hp fool you -- when it comes to moving weight, it's all about the torque and where the engine delivers it. Freeing up the exhaust flow doesn't usually do much to increase torque. The returning of this V4 in the CTX puts more torque in the lower RPMs than the ST variant and across a wider RPM range, which provides a more responsive experience for cruising-type riding than the higher revving, higher hp output for sport touring. I never found the CTX disappointing in the performance dept. It'll jump fairly impressively if you crack it and play the clutch from a standstill, and it will roll on nicely at speed without needing to downshift. But if you do want more, you're not going to get a substantial increase just from changing its mufflers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yep I had read that. Understand about the exhaust regarding torque (imagine they make a power commander for the bike?). Is the RPMS in the 3,500 range at 75? Trying to figure out what the final drive is. Are the gears spaced close together?

·
Super Moderator
5,480 Posts

Yes, 5 speed gear box and with torque where it is, and how flat the torque "curve" is from say 2000 to 4500 rpm, there really is no need for more. I've posted in other threads on this forum where it is more appropriate (not really wanting to hijack the thread here but do want to answer). I've run through towns at 35 mph with no stop sign or signal and come out the other side and accelerated back to highway speed pulling very strongly all staying in 5th gear. Rather than re-post here please CLICK HERE to see a chart I came up with for speed vs rpm in 5th gear. HP is just a number people use to brag about. Torque is the real thing you want to know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After coming off a Yamaha FJR1300 to the CTX1300, the difference in horsepower is obvious. But honestly, I feel the CTX is just as much fun either way, even without the screaming 145 horses. And besides, who really needs to go 120 mph with plenty of room for more?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
drill these muffs and be done with it:smiley-happy0034:

Did 1" holes with stepping bit in each of mine. Throaty purrfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use earplugs on the highway always. Yet I do still hear enough engine rumble to satisfy. The plugs help with making it not so much to become a bother on longer travels, and keep my ears from ringing when I reach the end. I can still hear the speakers, and I can still hear what I need to around the bike. I agree that "loud pipes saves lives" thing is about like deer whistles. Some say they work great, most say a waste of money. I rode with a Harley rider with loud pipes a few times. When I was behind him I could hear him with a half mile and more between us. When I was in front it was like he wasn't there until he came up almost to my tail... too late to alert me to do anything if I had to watch out for him. Same when I'm in my cage, don't really hear any loud pipes until they pass me. And all that was before I started wearing earplugs. I guess I'm with the group that likes a relatively quiet bike, but want it to have a distinctive sound. Not like a car, but not loud. My 1990 GW was quiet enough to ride up to a pedestrian who wasn't watching and surprise them. That was nice. That was also one reason to have a loud horn to use when needed.
just as your loud horn is a weapon against cagers, so is loud pipes. just another weapon in the arsenal against cagers,that are too busy doing everything else but driving!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
just as your loud horn is a weapon against cagers, so is loud pipes. just another weapon in the arsenal against cagers,that are too busy doing everything else but driving!
I just put a Delkevic slip on cannister on my new CB1100. I was patient enough to make it nearly 200 miles with the stock pipe. I like to hear what the motor is doing. The stock exhaust on the CB1100 made it sound like a Singer sewing machine. And now it is perfect. I contacted Delkevic last year to see if they were interested in making some pipes for our CTX. They were not. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Super Moderator
5,480 Posts
Not likely. The CTX1300 muffler is NOT anything like what is on most, if not all, other bikes. This is actually the bigger reason aftermarket muffler makers won't touch this bike. The pipe does NOT enter in the front (the decorative cover only makes it look like that) but enters in the center of the inside of the can. There would need to be some significant modification to the pipes from the weld seam where the chrome ends all the way back to fit a slip on or ST1300 mufflers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd disagree. Loud pipes are only effective if you are beside or in front of the vehicle that you need to put on notice. Don't get me wrong, I like reasonably loud pipes as much as the next guy, but from a safety standpoint a super loud horn and some classes in defensive riding are a much better, much more effective investment. IMO extremely loud pipes reflect poorly on us all and do as much or more to negatively affect public perception of riders as any other factor . Loud pipes very rarely save lives but they piss off the non riding public every time you ride.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts