CTX 1300 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Yeah well what we really need for the CTX is something like this...

I am hiding now from all of the flak this post is certain to inspire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok, so taken as a whole, tho, in the arsenal I mentioned before its better to have one more weapon per se, than to do without it.i don't advocate for pipes that are sooooo loud it gives riders near you a headache, but ya gotta use every aspect of defense that ya can to deal with the brain dead zombies that out there today doing such stupid things as, driving and typing on a laptop propped on steering wheel in traffic, yup seen it ,saw it. saw a idiot goin down highway eating cereal from a bowl with a spoon. many, many times have seen women putting on makeup, fighting with kids, etc. etc. soooo I feel its warranted, whether it pisses them off or not. also I am old enuff that I really don't care if it does p.o. them. everyone wears their feelings on their sleeves these days, to the point we're all afraid to offend or be offended. its time a lot of peeps to take a chill pill, they'll live longer, and be a sight happier. there, that's my diatribe, didn't mean to run on so, but..............

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
kinda like those pipes on the Honda 1100 sounds like a finely tuned sports car.
And that is about what the original CB750 sounded like back in '69. I love the CTX but it is the only bike I've owned that I haven't opened up the exhaust a bit. As others have pointed out it would require some extensive custom work to do it properly due to the unconventional arrangement of the exhaust and catalytic converters. :520:

·
Registered
11 Posts
cats, they r suuuch a pain. the converter kind, not 4 legged kind. I have 2 of those, they are very much family members, Tessa [ also known as queen tessica[ she knows it too! , and sweetiepie furball, every bit her name, just a big ball of fur with eyes and ears, and very sweet disposition, lol!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Yeah well what we really need for the CTX is something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_el13h2gns

I am hiding now from all of the flak this post is certain to inspire.
If you're brave enough to post it , be brave enough to take the heat :cool: He said they were from Australia ... how embarrassing.... IMO they are rubbish . sounds like a go-kart just out of tune..... urrrrgh ..... :350x700px-LL-66dd6d.......... :smiley-party0005:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
If you're brave enough to post it , be brave enough to take the heat :cool: He said they were from Australia ... how embarrassing.... IMO they are rubbish . sounds like a go-kart just out of tune..... urrrrgh ..... :350x700px-LL-66dd6d.......... :smiley-party0005:
:smileygarden_de_ban Bring on the heat! Those pipes sound glorious. Just like the original CB750K0. That notwithstanding I wouldn't want the CTX to be that loud - just opened up a bit. And as anyone who has had the opportunity to hear an ST1300 with a set of Delkevic pipes knows the big V-4 sounds way different than an inline 4 anyway. :ty:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
:smileygarden_de_ban Bring on the heat! Those pipes sound glorious. Just like the original CB750K0. That notwithstanding I wouldn't want the CTX to be that loud - just opened up a bit. And as anyone who has had the opportunity to hear an ST1300 with a set of Delkevic pipes knows the big V-4 sounds way different than an inline 4 anyway. :ty:
I suppose if you want that sound , you could always record it and play it through Bluetooth whilst riding from a device .. just put it on "loop" and it can blast away in your helmet ....... :smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034: a good compromise :D

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I suppose if you want that sound , you could always record it and play it through Bluetooth whilst riding from a device .. just put it on "loop" and it can blast away in your helmet ....... :smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034: a good compromise :D
:520: No thanks. I have a Delkevic slip on installed on my CB1100 and it is perfect. What I would like for the CTX is something like this installation:

George Jetson meets Klingon. :520: And if you like turning wrenches as I do you could go back and forth in an afternoon when you got tired of the racket. I used to do that 40 years ago on a CB550F swapping the stock 4 into 1 for a Kerker full exhaust and back every 6 months or so. I love the CTX quiet by the way and am happy with it as is. But I would like the option.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
:520: No thanks. I have a Delkevic slip on installed on my CB1100 and it is perfect. What I would like for the CTX is something like this installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usq0HXOM1q0

George Jetson meets Klingon. :520: And if you like turning wrenches as I do you could go back and forth in an afternoon when you got tired of the racket. I used to do that 40 years ago on a CB550F swapping the stock 4 into 1 for a Kerker full exhaust and back every 6 months or so. I love the CTX quiet by the way and am happy with it as is. But I would like the option.
sounds like an old inboard I had on a ski boat 40 years ago :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Well after reading posts about people drilling their exhaust with good results I decided to to the same. The sound is not that mush louder, but it did bring out the lower tones. The results are favorable.

Reactions: dman3626

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well after reading posts about people drilling their exhaust with good results I decided to to the same. The sound is not that mush louder, but it did bring out the lower tones. The results are favorable.
I have drilled the bottom ports out on each side as they are blanks and can now see the inside where the inlet pipe enters the muffler. Still not loud enough to hear when riding but does make a rumbling noise. Next will be a 1" hole saw at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on each muffler. Pics to come later and a sound clip.

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
Actually they are not blanks. Both pipes have small holes in a band all around the sides of the pipe near the end with a solid end cap. Drilling out the end cap will open them much more than stock but most of the sound attenuation happens in the cats per what others here have discovered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually they are not blanks. Both pipes have small holes in a band all around the sides of the pipe near the end with a solid end cap. Drilling out the end cap will open them much more than stock but most of the sound attenuation happens in the cats per what others here have discovered.
Pic attached maybe mine is different. Until I drilled it out it was blocked off, can now see the baffles on the inlet pipe that enters the muffler from the Cats.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
Actually even in that photo you cannot see the holes. They are small and in the side of the pipe, but they are there. All you would be able to see is the solid end cap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually even in that photo you cannot see the holes. They are small and in the side of the pipe, but they are there. All you would be able to see is the solid end cap.
Mine maybe different to yours Bob as my top pipe has the holes deep inside and the bottom was blanked off. I have drilled another hole on each side and the Beast has been woken up :smiley-happy0034: Not loud but audible and will decide to drill the other side after a week.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 144 Posts