CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a lot of the folks posting about the CTX here and on the st-owners forum seem to mention having a long history of riding experience, which got me curious about what age/experience level of riders are finding this motorcycle appealing.

Me, I'm 38 and have been riding 10 years. I started with a Honda Shadow Aero, which was a fine ride but I got tired of the cruiser thing after 3 years. Bought a Triumph Bonneville based on looks and the feel of that classic standard riding position, and have loved it for the last 7 years except I can't handle long trips with no wind protection and the feeling of the bike getting moved around. I briefly considered the available ST bikes but none seemed quite right, while the CTX just kind of fits.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,054 Posts
I am 33 and started riding when I was ten. Back in the day I had a Honda Trail 70, Honda trail 110, and a Suzuki 125 dirt bike. I rode these three bikes until I was out of high school. Once in college I purchased a 1994 Honda Magna VF750C. I LOVED THIS BIKE! I rode the Magna for nine years. Three years ago I got the Honda Fury VT1300CX. I enjoyed the feel of this badass bike but with the wife and I riding two up for long distances it just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Honda CTX1300 Deluxe one week ago today!

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
56, and been riding off and on for over 35 years (mostly on the last 20).
My exact story!

Oops, I guess if I started in '73, it has been longer than 35 years... That's what happens when you get old.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
59 (note: now 60).
First bike I rode was a friend's Honda trail 50, then another friend's 175 (Kaw or Suz?) as a passenger. Didn't own a bike until 7 years later in '79 when I bought my HD dual sport that I rode for 2+ years. That was just over 35 years ago. But there was a 19 year gap when I didn't have a bike. Then in 2000 I bought my second bike, the Vulcan 750, and been riding since. A total of 16+ years. (see my list of bikes in my 'bob's bikes' gallery)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 33 and started riding when I was ten. Back in the day I had a Honda Trail 70, Honda trail 110, and a Suzuki 125 dirt bike. I rode these three bikes until I was out of high school. Once in college I purchased a 1994 Honda Magna VF750C. I LOVED THIS BIKE! I rode the Magna for nine years. Three years ago I got the Honda Fury VT1300CX. I enjoyed the feel of this badass bike but with the wife and I riding two up for long distances it just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Honda CTX1300 Deluxe one week ago today!
The Magnas always drew my eye whenever I'd see them around.

I have to say, the Fury looks a little unsuited to being loaded down for a long trip. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
HMM,, legally,,,, riding since 1971 started of withan old used Harley lightweight.. then bought 2 Harleys back to back and neither one made it past the second oil change.. The a Yamaha RD350 two stroke, then 75 CB550, then 1978 CX500, 1978 Wing, Honda VF45 sabre, 81 wing, ( 3 ) 86 SEi I really loved this bike. over 300,000 miles on the them, then a gl1500 that I only kept for about a week, Absolutely the worst handling bike in my life,, bought a beemer because I hated the Honda so bad, then a first year 1800, then a k1200lti bmw, then 2004 wing, 2008 wing,,2012 wing 2014 CTX1300 Only break came when first wife decide for US after getting married that I had to give up the foolishness and talked me into selling my bikes ( 1981) Came to my senses when she gave my rottie away while I was camping... Got rid of her in 1982 got another bike got my rottie back, new wife in 1989. SO about 42 years counting the down time during my short hiatus. Have just a wee bit over 1,000,000 miles on just the wings 10 wings. My few slip ups with other brands never lasted a full year just an intermittent itch that I had to scratch now and then

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 71 and still want to ride. As you can see from my signature line I have had several different sizes and makes, starting in the early 70's. I was finally able to get a Goldwing but had to sell due to needing a "cage." The wing was a little too heavy for my old, small frame and that is why the CTX is appealing to me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm 55 and I've been riding on the street since I was 14. I've lived in Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Connecticut, and Kentucky. I use the bike as my primary transportation. I only use the car when I need to carry something large or there is ice on the roads. I always try to keep a primary and a secondary bike.

The first bike that I actually owned was a Honda CB450 with the chrome tank.

The bike with the best legacy was my 2000 Honda ST1100. I put 145k miles on that bike in twelve years.

The best touring bike I ever owned was my 2012 Gold Wing. These CTX1300s will probably beat it out. It's too early to say.

The most fun bike I ever owned was a 2012 Suzuki Wee Strom. My 1979 Honda CX500C runs a close second.

The worst bike I ever owned was my 2003 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic ElectrGlide. Noisy, shaky, and ran like crap.

The most disappointing bike I ever owned was my 2013 Triumph Trophy. It showed so much promise, but it just wasn't very reliable.

My favorite bike was my 1976 Gold Wing. It was my first serious bike and we had lots of adventures together before we met up with a Chrysler New Yorker driven by an 88 year old lady.

I got my first CTX1300 on March 31st. We've already been in eleven states together. I'm working long hours now, but in the fall we should pick up two or three more states.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Only break came when first wife decide for US after getting married that I had to give up the foolishness and talked me into selling my bikes ( 1981) Came to my senses when she gave my rottie away while I was camping... Got rid of her in 1982 got another bike got my rottie back, new wife in 1989.
It sounds like you have your priorities in order. :smiley-party0005:

Reactions: 4265

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am 46 and started riding in 2011 after a divorce. I sat up in bed one night and said out loud, “I can finally buy a motorcycle.” I had wanted one for years, but someone was always telling me no. I started on a 2011 Honda Shadow 750, which was a great bike unless you wanted to go or stop fast. I then had a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm which was a ton of fun. I put about 12K miles on it doing long trips and soon realized that a tour bike would better fit my riding style which led me to the CTX1300. I think I am set for the next few years at least.

I feel like my motorcycle life has mimicked real life—I started on a the smaller Shadow, then rebelled on the Thunderbird Storm and have now matured on the more practical CTX. When I am really old, I’ll get a Goldwing… Hahaha.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'm 44, and have been riding for about 12 years.
My first bike was a 1984 Yamaha Virago 700, and I bought it completely unaware of what I was doing. I lucked out, because the bike was low, light, easy to handle, and perfect for learing.
My second bike was a 1985 V65 Magna 1100. If it had been my first bike, it would have also been my last, because I would have killed myself on it for sure. That bike was FAST. It was loud, too, with aftermarket exhaust. I called it the Judge because if you forgot about the Laws of Inertia, of Exceleration, of Friction... he would throw the book at you. He didn't care. You're going 100 miles per hour and decide to twist the throttle a bit more? He didn't care. He would accelerate and just go and go and go. I never did find his top speed, but ran out of testicular fortitude once (only) at 120 mph. After that day, when I saw how impassively he could get up to instant-death speed, I never took it much over the legal speed limit.
I sold that bike after my son came along, and missed it from the moment it left my driveway. I put many thousands of miles on the Judge, and rode it, rain or shine, every day as long as there was no ice on the road.
The CTX1300 has been a godsend for me. It's powerful, easy to handle, has a low seat height, and the looks are original. I have done one 427-mile day, and one 600-mile day, and already have a couple thousand miles on it from riding it nearly every day. I'm happy to say that I can picture myself on this bike for the foreseeable future, as it really seems perfect for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am 35, and have been riding for 7 years now, about 16,000 miles on my trusty nighthawk 750. Now I'm ready for the next level, something that can handle highways without making my hands numb. The increase in weight, power, aerodynamics, and engine dampening make the CTX a very attractive package. It also has a well tested and tried and true power/valve train, returned for more grunt. It's also not as much of a beast/car on two wheels as the Goldwing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been riding for 30+ years with a couple of breaks......I've grown tired of the V-Twin cruiser thing....This bike give more performance and better handling compared to those bikes and it seems to me it fills a niche that has been missing for awhile. The Asian cruiser style bikes of the 80's had their own identity and many had 4 cylinder engines of various displacements which gave them better performance.......

For me....this bike is what I've been looking for.....never was really a sport bike guy......

My thoughts.

Reactions: sleepngbear and bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had some old BMW's back in the later 90's . Then a long dry spell. In 2005 I purchased a used BMW 1150 GS just because I always wanted one. I got that out of my system pretty quickly but I did learn a lot about motorcycle repair. Sold the GS and bought a new Triumph Bonneville SE in 2009. That was nice little bike and got lots of comments; it was good for short jaunts but not long distance. Sold the Bonnevill this year and bought a Red CTX deluxe. Now I'm getting ready to do some longer trips. First stop: mountains of Georgia and North Carolina.

·
Registered
128 Posts
56 years old and only been riding for 16+ months. First bike was a Tiger 800. I would not characterize it as an easy first bike, but it challenged me and had plenty of capability for me to grow into over 13 months and 13000 miles. Decided to try touring, but the Tiger always felt a bit nervous to me on the highway and could be downright scary in winds, so after much research decided to get the CTX and leave the Tiger at the dealer on consignment. Both bikes have served as my primary transportation. The CTX is now up to 6700 miles via commuting, a handful of day rides, a weekend tour, and a 9-day tour that included the national parks of Utah. It can take me to work in winds that would have sidelined the Tiger. I missed the Tiger, though, and it hadn't sold as of a few weeks ago, so I took it back (my wife's idea, actually) and it now shares errand, commuting and day ride duties. Touring will be all CTX. I leave next week on a tour that will take me through Idaho to visit a brother.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I bought my first Honda 350 CB when I was 20 in 1972.
Guess 42 years later = 62. Still feel 42 actually.Rode that bike with two army surplus packs from Detroit to southern Ca. Up Pacific coast Hwy to San Fran. Through the Rockys and back . I was hooked. Never a mechanical breakdown with 9 Hondas since. Guess I'm brand loyal for good reason. THE CTX 1300 is the most comfortable and responsive of them all. The bike I been waiting fro Honda to build since I bought my ST1300 in 2007.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 54 years old and have been riding for 25 years, summer and winter, rain and shine. I own a car but use it on weekends if we are out and about and not on a ride.

I started on a kwaka Z250 then a GSX600 then a Suzi GSF750F then a Kwaka Z750. This would have to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden in my life, it was like sitting on a sloping plank of wood edgewise. Every time I braked my nuts were crushed on the tank. I then went on to a Trumpy bonneville but had so much trouble with it I got rid of it and bought a Suzuki Bandit 1250s. I love riding this bike and still have it, I've only had it for 2 years but have done many long trips on it.

Recently a local Honda dealer bought a demo CTX1300 to our Ulysses Club meeting, the better half and I tried it on for size, found that it was a good fit and bought 2. This could be my new favourite.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'll be 59 a week from today. I bought my first bike, a repossessed Yamaha Radian, in 1986 because I got tired of driving the "sag wagon" behind my biker friends and wanted to ride myself. It was fine for learning, because it was not too heavy or too fast. I had never driven anything with a manual transmission, and learning the concept of shifting took some MAJOR work. But within a year I wanted to move up, so I bought a new 1987 Gold Wing Interstate. That bike served me well until 2005, when my partner and I both sold our bikes for various reasons.

In 2011 I just couldn't stand it any more and found a great deal on a 2006 Shadow Sabre, still in the showroom with 1 mile on the odo. I fell in love with riding all over again, but the bike was just not comfortable for more than about 30 minutes at a time, so longer trips were out of the question. This February I went to the International Bike Show and made a beeline for the CTX 1300 I had heard about. It only took a few minutes of sitting on it to convince me, and I put a deposit down a week later. I picked up the bike (the first and so far ONLY one out of my dealership) at the end of March and have been riding every chance I get. I have about 2800 miles on it so far. My stamina is still not the greatest; my longest trip was last weekend, about 300 miles over a weekend and that had me pretty worn out. I'm working up to longer trips, though, and expect to put a fair number of miles on this bike. It will probably be my last one.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts