CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long-time lurker who finally got the CTX1300 after shopping all kinds of bikes all year, trying to convince myself that the CTX1300 would be the right move after a pleasant two years riding my 2013 CB1100A (now on consignment at the dealer to help pay for the CTX).

Old guys rule so this old fart who turned 60 on Saturday figured I better ride in comfort and get on with it.

Made the move when Honda put out the $1,500 bonus bucks and being in Hawaii I don't have many dealers to cross-shop but I did get quotes from the dealer in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii as well as Huntington Beach Honda where I visited in September. Surprisingly my local dealer beat them both (well, the SoCal dealer had a handicap since I would have had to pay more to ship the bike to me) and I don't quite understand their math figuring out my OTD price but I kept my mouth shut and bought the bike since my calculations showed more like $3.000 off MSRP instead of only $1,500 off.,

The recent rides before the retro-CB1100 were a Harley Street Glide then a BMW R1200RT so I was looking to get another bagger for the comfort and convenience. After experiencing a modern Honda with the CB1100 and how refined and well-engineered Honda builds motorcycles it wasn't hard for me to focus on getting another Honda after my iffy experience with small quality issues on the BMW which made me wary of keeping the bike long-term.

When traveling on the mainland I would make it a point to visit all kinds of bike dealers to check out possibilities, rented a couple of different bikes locally in Waikiki to check them off the list. Back in April when the CTX first started to hit the showrooms I was in Chicago so I made sure to check out the new bike since I knew my local dealer wouldn't take the gamble and order one for their showroom.

I was really close to getting the smaller CTX700 and keeping the CB1100 but once I started adding up the costs for bags, etc. the "cheap bike"started to creep closer to the CTX1300 prices.

On the short ride home from the dealer after dropping off the CB1100 and taking home the CTX I've confirmed what many of you have observed.

Mirrors: Yes, couldn't see anything on the initial ride but knew I would just have to loosen the bars to rotate them down a few degrees, done that and looks like that should work. Will add some adjustable blind spot mirrors that I had on my BMW R1200RT (which also has fairing mounted mirrors that aren't so hot either), I liked those stick on mirrors so much I peeled them off the BMW when I sold it and stuck the mirrors onto my car side view mirrors.

Suspension: Yes, it's not as plush as you would expect from this sized bike. Not bad, but not overly cushy like a Harley Touring bike, or plush and compliant like the BMW. Sure it could use a bit of tweaking later, lighter fork oil and after market shocks once somebody finds some that work.

Clutch: Sort of reminded me of the dry clutch on the BMW. I was expecting a little more torque out of the motor right off idle after looking at the dyno chart for the CTX but quickly realized it needs bit of throttle to get moving. Heavy bike I guess. In comparison the compact, but heavy CB1100 moves away from stops right off idle nicely. I'll just get used to it and which leads me to the next point.

Throttle: Like usual the bike comes with too much slop in the throttle cables. Don't think I've ever picked up a new bike that had the throttle tightened up the way I like, so that contributed to me stalling the bike while figuring out the clutch feel. No big deal, done the adjusting already.

Brakes: Pretty good and not much front end dive. Guess the longer wheelbase and low center of gravity help.

Broken Tab Issue: Lucky for me looks like the dealer didn't bust the tab setting up the bike! I looked carefully the day I was there to do the paperwork last week and I checked today when I picked up the bike and so far the panel looks like it's sitting flush.

Transmission: Figuring it's another Honda it shifts smoothly enough when compared to solidly shifting Harleys or the touchy agricultural feeling BMW boxers. Then again not as slick shifting like the CB1100 but I'm sure it will loosen up and shift nicely with a few more miles (bike had only 1 mile on it when I picked it up).

Gas Tank: Another of those touches on the CTX that makes me say "this bike is like a car". Actually pretty easy to fill up the tank without spilling or splashing all over the tank compared to a "traditional" gas tank. At least the filler neck is wide enough for my old eyes to see the gas level inside.

Oil Fill & Changes: OK same oil filter as most Honda's so I have a couple more on hand along with a bunch of crush washers. Yank off the valve cover to fill oil from the top, just like a car. Same oil, so that's good, doesn't require some hard to find formulation. 600 miles then the next one at 8,000 miles?!? Like a car again! I can live with that.

I could go on but you guys know the drill. Will order the rear carrier, backrest for the wife, center stand, etc. when the aftermarket parts off my CB1100 eventually sell online. Gotta keep things peaceful in the house and recycle those farkle dollars from the old Honda to the next Honda!

Aloha,
Huladog
Honolulu, Hawaii

·
Registered
764 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike!

If I ever get to retire, I'd like to travel to Hawaii and ride around the islands on bikes. I'm already 56, so I can probably retire in another 29 years. :)

When you buy a vehicle in Hawaii, are you pretty much limited to that island? Or do you have ferry boats to travel between the islands?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Dog,
I'm 6 months younger than you. Old? Eyes?
We are YOUNG(cough, cough). Just because you need a walker to get to the CTX don't mean a thang dude!!!!!!!
Congrats. Yep, she shifts better for me after the oil (600 mi) change.
Did I miss it or what color is it?
Now I'll be expecting some pics posted of that bike each time you do an upgrade/mod along with some of that great Aloha scenery!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
To answer some questions from above posts:

Ooops, my bad, got the black Deluxe. Since we know Honda has a bunch of these secret bikes in their warehouse I could order whichever model and color I wanted. Sales manager didn't even know what colors were available so I just told him what I wanted while he punched it into the Honda inventory system and could tell me when it would arrive in the islands from Torrance, CA.

Stuck on one island? Pretty much unless you ship your bike via interisland freight barge service although they're pretty efficient it still takes days to move a bike. We had the fast SuperFerry for a few months until the hidden political land mines blew up. That was running between Oahu and Maui, was soon to reach the Big Island. Kauai didn't want the ferry at all and protesters kept it from landing.

Old? Yeah, I admitted to myself that what I really needed was low bike that still handled well so even though there is a nice 2014 Yamaha FJR1300 sitting on the showroom floor for awhile it would end up being just a bit too tall and top heavy.

BMW R1200RT had the low suspension and seat so it was actually pretty light and not top heavy. I got turned on to that model when the sales manager showed me an older one that a customer had shipped back from Maui to have the Honolulu dealer service. I had been wondering how the solo bike guys with the Honolulu Police Dept. were riding those BMW'since a lot of them are shorter like me.

Harley Street Glide was low, heavy and with the current model frame was a wide reach for my short legs.

What tempted me back to seriously looking at the CTX1300 was when I actually sat on an F6B and new Valkyrie (wanted that iconic flat 6) and was surprised how easily they came up off the side stand with the designed-in low center of gravity. Getting a current model Harley Road King, etc. off the stand is definitely more difficult.

Then I toyed with the idea of a CTX700 since that thing feels really light and low, but those forward pegs were the deal killer.

So I thought about getting the new VFR800 since I had always wanted one for the V-4, then DUH I remembered the CTX1300 had a V-4 (another iconic Honda engine layout)!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey Dog,
Black Deluxe is where it's at....Ain't that right Ed.....:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! I traded in my R1200Rt on a closeout 2014 Black CTX 1300 that I will take delivery on next week. Not a big deal, I live in South Dakota so I feel I have about 3 months to look at the bike and get ready to enjoy it all summer.

I found your comments about the BMW exactly the same way I think about it. I have had some minor issues, and they make me wonder what is in store down the line. My biggest problem was not a dealer in sight, so if I had a serious problem with the bike, I would have to trailer it. When I talked to the closest BMW dealer about getting anything done...I am busy right now, probably in 3 or 4 weeks!

Told myself, just go get a Honda, since there are more dealers AND I shouldn't have to do any maintenance other than oil changes and occasional valve check. But I would disagree with the ride of the Street Glide. The forks on Harleys are stiff, and with 2" of rear travel the seat is the only thing that makes it work. I live in the tundra, so the roads get a lot of abuse and the roads are choppy, so the BMW was the nicer ride.

I ordered the Black standard, as I am going to "the dark side" with a run-flat car tire on the rear after the factory original wears out. I was concerned with the ABS system faulting a different tire on the rear. With linked braking I am not too concerned as I have owned 34 other motorcycles, very few with ABS and the only time I used the ABS was to test them on gravel. I did order the rear trunk, center stand, heated grips, and the bluetooth system on the bike, and came out the door at a great price.

Hope I don't miss the BMW. My project will be to install electric cruise, so I am studying which system works best.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miks, congrats on getting the Honda.

Yep, we have only ONE BMW motorcycle dealer in the state (but it happens to be the multi-line place I got my Hondas from also) and they do service the police department RT's so I gambled they would know the hiccups and would have parts available for the minor stuff that goes wrong. Wrong! When the powered windscreen got stuck in the upmost position I had to wait over a month while they ordered the handlebar switch twice and waited for it to arrive from Germany. BMW changed the part since it was a problem, but later changed it again, so it took a couple tries to get the latest part.

Honda? I had zero issues with my CB1100 and when I picked up the bike I told them I wouldn't need the extended warranty and that they wouldn't see the bike in for service since I would do my own work and I expected nothing to go wrong.

Anyways, yes I do agree the RT has a superior suspension and brakes and that's what I missed the most. The Street Glide? Nah, I didn't mean it has a really plush controlled suspension but when you have that much weight on a soft front end (well forget the rear for now) it just mashes the minor bumps.

I did rent a BMW F800GT just to see how that light parallel twin would be and after a good long ride I didn't feel it justified it's price and for some reason my hands were really kind of numb for a day but the forward lean was almost the same as my CB1100. Maybe the vibes of that particular motor did me in.

I had also rented a Moto Guzzi V-7 Racer only because I wanted to see what a Guzzi v-twin was like, interesting but like the guy at the rental place said it would be good 2nd bike but not your daily ride.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
143 Posts
Huladog,

What surprises me, and to this day I can't really figure out, would be the question about Honda? When I first read about the CTX 1300 coming out, I was interested in the bike but as a bagger, I thought is should have cruise control. I know the F6B was a slow mover, and many dealers will tell you that most wanted a cruise control on the bike, since it was a Goldwing model stripped and modified.

I figured that Honda would put a six speed on this bike also, since the engines seem happy to grunt it out, a relaxed pace engine while cruising on the highway would have been something I would have expected. I would have also thought they would have a quicker bag removal system, similar to the Harley Street Glide whereby you pull some pins, and slide the bag off for easier cleaning and access to the shocks, tire, etc. Not a big deal, but small things like that make me wonder.

Every motorcycle I have purchased, I think I will keep forever but I end up trading them in about every year. This will be bike #35 , and going into this, I have always wanted to own a bike and do 100,000 miles on it. I am hoping that the bike is satisfying enough, and that I find a hot babe who will show me how to spend money on her and not on motorcycles :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, you're like me when it comes to bikes. You carefully research and ponder for a long-time, finally get the bike you've been wanting, it's good, then you start to find things you wished they did a little better and you search for the NEXT bike.

Yep, been doing that. Gets the wife irritated for sure.

Yep, the CTX1300 is missing a few things like you mentioned but I THINK it's close enough for me at this stage of the game. After the refined, reliable CB1100 which is another niche bike with "feel" engineered into the bike, I read about the CTX1300 designer doing similar things on this bike which got me interested.

Is Honda going to sell a lot of them? I doubt it, since it's an unusual combination of styles but it fits what I was looking for and maybe other manufacturers will follow along, maybe not.

Aloha,
Huladog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts