CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 years honing its skills in a back office at Honda HQ the Valkyrie is back and with a weaponized 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine, stripped to its essentials for a curb weight of 750 pounds.

2014 HONDA VALKYRIE SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Type: 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 74mm x 71mm
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Valve Train: SOHC; two valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with 3-D mapping
Transmission: Five-speed
Final Drive: Shaft
Suspension
Front: 45mm cartridge fork; TBD inches travel
Rear: Pro-Arm single side swingarm with Pro-Link rear single shock with hydraulic spring preload; TBD inches travel
Brakes
Front: Dual 310mm front discs
Rear: Single 316mm rear disc
Optional ABS
Tires
Front: 130/60R-19
Rear: 180/55R-17
Wheelbase: 67.2 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 29° 50’
Trial: 114mm (4.5 inches)
Seat Height: 28.8 inches
Fuel Capacity: 6.1 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Colors: Black, Dark Red Metallic, Blue Metallic
Curb Weight*: 750 pounds (Valkyrie) / 754 pounds (Valkyrie ABS)

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I just looked this up and see that as of now, they are expecting the new Valkyrie to start at about $17,000. I also can’t help but notice that my local Honda dealership has a leftover 2013 F6B for $17,300. So my concern is now that if Honda is really going to start at $17,000 for the CTX1300, how can we justify paying that much with these other options available right next to it at the showroom. Granted, I know it’s not exactly apples to apples but come on, $17,000 just seems too steep to me. By the way, Valkyrie colors expected are black, dark red metallic, and blue metallic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just looked this up and see that as of now, they are expecting the new Valkyrie to start at about $17,000. I also can’t help but notice that my local Honda dealership has a leftover 2013 F6B for $17,300. So my concern is now that if Honda is really going to start at $17,000 for the CTX1300, how can we justify paying that much with these other options available right next to it at the showroom. Granted, I know it’s not exactly apples to apples but come on, $17,000 just seems too steep to me. By the way, Valkyrie colors expected are black, dark red metallic, and blue metallic.
I think the difference comes in the technology jammed into the CTX1300, while Valkyrie is essentially a bare bones cruiser. its like choosing between vanilla and chocolate ice cream, which flavor is for you....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the difference comes in the technology jammed into the CTX1300, while Valkyrie is essentially a bare bones cruiser. its like choosing between vanilla and chocolate ice cream, which flavor is for you....
In terms of tech, it iooks like the new Valk will have an adjustable adjustable rear suspension, LEDs, and available ABS just like the CTX1300. The CTX does have the advantage of traction control and the bluetooth electronics in the deluxe version but it seems like that's about all the CTX has over it. I still think at $17K, the CTX is priced too high when you consider the Valk and the F6B have that flat 6 while the CTX 700s cost almost half that.

If I marketed for Honda, I would say $14k-$15k for the CTX1300 would be cheap enough for a potential buyer to rule out the bigger bikes while maintaining enough of a cushion over the CTX700's prices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In terms of tech, it iooks like the new Valk will have an adjustable adjustable rear suspension, LEDs, and available ABS just like the CTX1300. The CTX does have the advantage of traction control and the bluetooth electronics in the deluxe version but it seems like that's about all the CTX has over it. I still think at $17K, the CTX is priced too high when you consider the Valk and the F6B have that flat 6 while the CTX 700s cost almost half that.

If I marketed for Honda, I would say $14k-$15k for the CTX1300 would be cheap enough for a potential buyer to rule out the bigger bikes while maintaining enough of a cushion over the CTX700's prices.

Don't forget that the CTX 1300 HAS a V-4 engine, stolen out of the ST 1300. Personally, I think that the CTX 1300 has a smoother running engine than the flat 6 of the Valk or the F6B AND lighter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good point, I've actaully never ridden an ST1300 but just assumed the 6 would be smoother. The Valk and the CTX1300 are both reported to weigh 750 pounds. I think the F6B is 100 pounds more than that.

Don't forget that the CTX 1300 HAS a V-4 engine, stolen out of the ST 1300. Personally, I think that the CTX 1300 has a smoother running engine than the flat 6 of the Valk or the F6B AND lighter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good point, I've actaully never ridden an ST1300 but just assumed the 6 would be smoother. The Valk and the CTX1300 are both reported to weigh 750 pounds. I think the F6B is 100 pounds more than that.
I may stand corrected .... my neighbor has a Goldwing (flat 6) and it IS whisper quiet and he swears by it! He also is 2 up with his wife half the time. So the flat 6 maybe smoother than the V-4! I just LOVE V-4s. (I'm Magna spoiled!) Price-wise, for what you get, depending on WHAT purpose you buying the bike for, I would choose the F6B only because of the longevity/improvements of the Goldwing's history.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So again, the CTX1300 and new Valk both weigh 750 pounds and both are supposed to run $17k with the F6B about $1k more and 100 pounds more. I was so psyched when I heard about the CTX1300 coming out but at $17k, it just doesn't make sense to me given the other offerings here. Unless they rethink the price, I can't imagine them selling very many. I thought the DN-01 was really cool too but they screwed up with the price on that as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So again, the CTX1300 and new Valk both weigh 750 pounds and both are supposed to run $17k with the F6B about $1k more and 100 pounds more. I was so psyched when I heard about the CTX1300 coming out but at $17k, it just doesn't make sense to me given the other offerings here. Unless they rethink the price, I can't imagine them selling very many. I thought the DN-01 was really cool too but they screwed up with the price on that as well.

And guess what have in my garage ... the "overpriced" DN-01 which I bought 3 years after it came out for less than half of the original price, only 150 miles on the meter. So here I sit with a '99 Magna (V-4 power) and a DN-01 (fully hydraulic automatic), I need a vehicle (bike) that will incorporate my "necessities/spoilings" to exist. Will the CTX 1300 satisfy my cravings or not? Only Honda will decide!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so has the new Valk talked anyone out of the CTX1300? Maybe not even to purchase but just in terms of the Valk re-framing how you look at the CTX??

But again i do have to imagine the CTX is going to be a better crusier/tourer than the Valk, just because of its added comfort features like the mentioned bluetooth....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the bluetooth and other comforts but you could conceivably add hard bags and a windshield to the Valk if you wanted to and end up with an only slightly less comfy bike with better performance. I guess I just have a hard time with paying the same money for an recycled 4 cyl when I know I could get the better performing 6 in the Valk without adding any weight. I would need to ride both though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
All of the photos of the Valk show the rider hunkered down over the bars in a very uncomfortable position. The CTX1300 photos show the rider in a much more relaxed pose.

They seem to be marketing the Valkyrie as a toy.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts

I've owned an ST1300, and I've ridden the earlier Valkyrie. The ST was smooth, but the Valk was definitely smoother, and that was the older 1500. I mean ridiculously smooth, to the point that I would have no idea how fast the motor was cranking if it didn't have a tach. I'd have to think the newer 1800 is that much more refined.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've owned an ST1300, and I've ridden the earlier Valkyrie. The ST was smooth, but the Valk was definitely smoother, and that was the older 1500. I mean ridiculously smooth, to the point that I would have no idea how fast the motor was cranking if it didn't have a tach. I'd have to think the newer 1800 is that much more refined.

I stand corrected as I stated in later correspondance. I have never owned a "large" cc motorcycle, (over 750 cc), other than Harleys. My only exposure to the "flat 6" has been my friend's bikes over the years and my neighbor's Goldwing and they were all VERY smooth running. I guess it all depends on what feels good for you and what your happy with. I'm am a solo rider ... I've been riding for 30+ years and have NEVER had a passenger!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I may stand corrected .... my neighbor has a Goldwing (flat 6) and it IS whisper quiet and he swears by it! He also is 2 up with his wife half the time. So the flat 6 maybe smoother than the V-4! I just LOVE V-4s. (I'm Magna spoiled!) Price-wise, for what you get, depending on WHAT purpose you buying the bike for, I would choose the F6B only because of the longevity/improvements of the Goldwing's history.
Hey there Gizmo: I can relate. Well, a bit anyway. To the spoiling by Honda V-4s, Magna especially. My third bike back in the 80s when it came out, was the now legendary V65 Sabre. Well ahead of it's time in many ways. Very different bike than this CTX1300 effort, of course. I vaguely recall configuration saw it with a higher CG, as one example, in comparison to the Magna version of the V65 as opposed to the V45, smaller one was it?

But man did I have fun! While NEVER a Ricky Racer sort, even in my youth, I admit it was exceptionally satisfying when the then new Rice-Racer Ninjas started seemingly mating like rabbits, for me to "slap one down" now and again. I recall more than a few times when a Ninja would pull alongside me, race their engine to the point of hurting my ears, thereby prompting me to see what my bike...and key here, of course, it's rider...could do from a start.

They virtually never stood a chance. My weight plus I'm guessing, usually being far more studious about what I did and how I did it, with admittedly far too much (I used to be pretty uptight) had me pull the Cool Hand Luke take off to further handicap my weight advantage putting more of my acceleration down to the road than the smoking tires next to mine!

Of course, my much higher CG was such that the time I did cat and mouse with a Ferrari up the famed Pacific Coast Highway in Carmel and San Simeon area, with literally NO ONE ELSE ON THE ROAD (riding year round, most all weather has it's advantages) the Ferrari would pull ahead around corners then also in long enough straights.

Neither of us went stupid either so that was one of those overall very special moments in life, doing on that case some arguably prudent, gentlemanly "sports-sparring" with a total stranger. Fond memories from my youth!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts