CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey folks,

new CTX 1300 owner here. Thanks for having me on this forum :)

I've just bought a CTX 1300 here in Germany with 15.000 km's on the odo and it looks like the bike still has the original stock Dunlop tires on it. On my first 700 km ride where I brought the bike from the previous owners place to mine I noticed that the cornering wasn't very smooth at all. Very 'wobbly' with lots of adjustment needed mid-corner. It could be that I'm out of practice but I'm going to go with worn tires, for now ;) So I'm on the hunt for new tires.

I've read through many of the threads on this forum and read that many people get lots of km's/miles on the Dunlops but aren't excited about the performance, which matches my first impression, although, mine are worn so that's not the fairest of first impressions.

I've further read that some people are using Metzeler 888 and 880, however, my previous experience with Metzler tires on an enduro bike (Yamaha XT600 and/or KTM 640 Adventure, can't remember) weren't the best in terms of longevity. So I don't remember what bike I had them on but I do remember that I wasn't happy with the durability. So they're out of the race.

Apart from these two and the Bridgestone stock and Excedra Max, which seem to give reasonable mileage and good performance, I've read that some people are excited about the Avon tires in terms of them being a good balance between performance, price and mileage, however, I think I read that someone had a blown rear tire, so that's not comforting at all.

I then saw that many people seem to be happy with the Michelin Commander 2 with some getting up to 40.000 km's! out of them while still getting very good performance. I then looked them up and saw that Michelin has just released the Commander 3, which is supposed to match the mileage of the MC 2 while further improving performance (especially in wet conditions).

So naturally, I am wondering if anyone has already given these tires a go and has some real-life experience that they are able to share?

I hope all is well with all of you in these crazy times and look forward to your thoughts :)

Cheers,

Eric
I had intially had issues with these tires they seem to be tempermental to tire pressures, I found you either need to be on spec or just a tad under, if your over pressure even 2 PSI they seem to be twitchy. I dont care for the stock tires much but I have had good luck with Avon's and the Excedra Max tires.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Where did you end up buying them from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm going through my local Honda motorcycle shop. Haven't got confirmation yet if they can get the tires. I'll report back when I know more :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Are the new 3s radial tires? I have the twos on my 94 Magna and love them. The bike handles, brakes much better and long tread wear have sold me on them for this bike. It calls for bias ply tires. That is the only reason I did not put them on the CTX. The CTX is designed for radials and I’m very conservative about mixing tires. Some put a radial on front and a bias on back. I do not do that. I go by what Honda recommends. I did go from a 150 to a 180 on the rear of the Magna due to them not having a 150 size tire for it in 15” rim. The bike handles so much better then the stock Dunlop’s and rear braking is excellent with the Commander IIs .

Reactions: SCS

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
The CIII’s are rear radial and front bias unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Rear radial and front bias is really not too bad when combining. Some bike racing riders do that and there are some benefits for racing. For street riding it is best to keep them both the same.

Reversing that, rear bias and front radial, is a bad dangerous combination. BTDT. I needed my rear tire replaced and currently have that combo but intend to fix that real soon. I can tell that the bike is a bit unstable in fast turns with that combo, which can be very dangerous depending how fast.

·
Registered
283 Posts
@bljdb.

Unable to find a 200 series tire in time I put a 190 Michelin on. I highly recommend you don't ever do that unless you are really stuck.
What was the issue with.going to the 190 tire?

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
@bljdb.

What was the issue with.going to the 190 tire?
I'm not sure I can really put it into words very well other than to say the rear felt a bit "squirrely". I really only noticed this in curvy sections of the road which of course is kind of a big deal. It just seemed less sure footed and prone to falling in and out of the line I would want to be in which tends to decrease my confidence. Of course it's entirely possible that this is nothing more than my imagination but I don't think so...

Reactions: fbnewell1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Just a quick update that my motorcycle workshop offered me the wrong tires. He thought he was talking about the MC 3, however, he had info about the MC 2 and wanted to put those on my bike. The MC 3 have not yet been given approval for use on the CTX 1300 (needed in Germany). I called Michelin and they said that testing is underway and that approval is expected very soon. That being said, after increasing the tire pressure to around 40-42 psi I find that the bike rides a lot smoother, even on the stock Dunlops. I'm a careful (read slow) rider so I might just give the stock Dunlops another couple thousand km's and switch to the MC 3 when the Dunlop's dead. By that time the MC 3 should be approved.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I had a 3Touring installed about two weeks ago on the front. Seems I’m averaging one front to two back as far as mileage. Only have about 350 miles on the front but so far I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Folks, just another update that after 4 months of going forth and back with Michelin, they finally told me that they won't be testing the Commander 3 on our bike because of Covid-19 and that I should get the Commander 2, which is out of production since December 2019. I even offered them to use my CTX for testing but it turns out it's all just too hard. So no Commander 3's for CTX 1300 in Germany. Make up your own mind as to the quality of their service but 4 months of me having to follow up every single email, sometimes twice or three times, certainly speaks volumes to me - the right hand does not know what the left hand does at Michelin, nor do they care about CTX 1300 bikers.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts