CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around to see if there are any quality issues seen so far with the CTX1300's and I'm not finding much. I saw a thread here about some folks reporting trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd through Neutral, but that was about it.

These have been on the road for what, about 4-5 months now? Seems at least a few members here have already piled on several thousand miles.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
While there are some changes to the engine, and many changes to other parts of this bike, compared with the ST1300 you will find it has been very well tested and verified to be rather bullet proof. The only issues I can see that may happen new with this bike relate to the new parts. You can go over on the ST-Owners forum and do some searching there to see any long term issues (not many and none serious) with this engine. It's been around for at least 11 years. This bike is made of mostly very well tested and proven components. I still think the shifting thing, at least for the 1-2 shifting, is rather common on a great many bikes. I've noticed that on every bike I've owned and read about it from almost all riders I've associated with who have mentioned anything about shifting.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find the one other thread about the cover over the battery area being secured by a clip that's prone to breakage...but if that's really the biggest quality issue Honda's had on this model so far it's pretty encouraging.

It's a bit unfortunate the fairing's got to be opened up to swap windshields, but I suppose that's the price for not having fasteners exposed. I'd certainly get the tall windshield but would find the idea of swapping back to the short one for hot-weather riding appealing.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I did find the one other thread about the cover over the battery area being secured by a clip that's prone to breakage...but if that's really the biggest quality issue Honda's had on this model so far it's pretty encouraging.

It's a bit unfortunate the fairing's got to be opened up to swap windshields, but I suppose that's the price for not having fasteners exposed. I'd certainly get the tall windshield but would find the idea of swapping back to the short one for hot-weather riding appealing.

Jeff
It's really not so bad to replace the shield once you've done it. Don't need to remove as much as the service manual implies (and as you may have read around here), just the front mirror covers (which pop/snap off), 2 screws on each side to remove the front garnish to get to the shield mount bolts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To add to bob's explanation of how simple it is to swap the windshield, I'd like to say that I'm no technician and I can do it in 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you may also find after some seat time....that the oem shield and the clean air behind it, is not so bad. I did get the taller screen as one of my free accessories, but have no plans to mount it yet....that will wait until cold winter weather gets here and see if I want to cut down the amount of air going by.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I keep waiting for someone on this forum to describe some kind of real mechanical issue (i.e., something broke, quit working, faulty etc.). The only issue I see so far is the poor fit of the plastic part that covers the battery. And I've learned to live with that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you may also find after some seat time....that the oem shield and the clean air behind it, is not so bad. I did get the taller screen as one of my free accessories, but have no plans to mount it yet....that will wait until cold winter weather gets here and see if I want to cut down the amount of air going by.
Good point. I currently enjoy riding my Bonneville with just a little flyscreen that somehow just "cleans" the air and makes it much more tolerable to head into the wind at higher speeds. I ran it for a while with a big fairing too but, while that was great for really long trips, around town in summer it protected too well and left me feeling hot and stifled behind it. That's why I'd like to be able to swap shields around.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep waiting for someone on this forum to describe some kind of real mechanical issue (i.e., something broke, quit working, faulty etc.). The only issue I see so far is the poor fit of the plastic part that covers the battery. And I've learned to live with that.
Well, if you'd allow me to start you off, remember the twitchy throttle issue some people complain about and some others would swear it's not there? Assuming the ECUs are identical (and run the same firmware), I'm willing to bet on a poorly mounted TPS :) which would be on par with other evidence of the bike being slapped together I've found.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That twitchy throttle is the same issue ST1300 owners have mentioned over and over again since that bike was out 11 years ago. It is one of the not so great characters of the ST/CTX carb/throttle controls that are shared. It may sound as if some of us say it doesn't exist but that's not what we're saying. I don't recall ever actually stating that exactly. It is that we get used to it and manage it. It does take a little experience with the bike and having a CrampBuster or something similar really helps a lot on that, even if you do have a throttle lock or cruise. In fact those items will not do the same thing in this issue as the CB will do. My ST1100 even was a little bit twitchy in the throttle but not nearly as bad as the ST1300/CTX1300. I do still notice it once in a big while but only at certain rpms and only in certain circumstances and it's rare since I added my CB. To me... a non-issue.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I only notice the twitchy throttle when I'm riding very aggressively. Especially when I go downhill because I often go through a hard corner in first or second gear with no throttle, but with no hand on the clutch either. When I apply the gas to line up for the next switchback, I can't feather the clutch so I have to try to feather the throttle. With the ST1100, I could just hammer it coming out of the corner and the carbs made a smooth acceleration. The electronic systems on the CTX are very abrupt when going from no throttle to some throttle.

That's not what this bike was designed for, so I don't worry about it. If I ever decide to get serious in the twisties again, I'll buy a sport bike. Some of the ST1300 guys bought a little electronic box that fixed the issue. I won't do that while I'm under warranty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After 6700 miles, the familiarity I've gained with the bike renders the twitchy throttle feature a non-issue for me. I just don't notice it much, anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts