CTX 1300 Forum banner

Anybody worried about CTX1300's performance ...

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MarkH 
#1 ·
... don't.

Pay no attention to the HP and torque ratings ... this bike can move.

That is all.

See less See more
#2 ·
+++1 to that.
And I've only been on a few test rides and can tell.

BTW Ed - Being a moderator and all, you need to put some of those fancy smileys on this board available from the panel.

#4 ·
I have a unique view on performance because my other bike is a Triumph Trophy. It blows the CTX away in terms of raw acceleration and handling in the twisty places.

But the CTX is my Primary Bike and the Trophy has been demoted to Second Fiddle for two reasons:
-The Trophy is very high maintenance and has stranded me twice. The CTX is a Honda. Very reliable. Very economical.
-On the highway the CTX is vastly superior to the Trophy. It is so much more relaxing to ride for long stretches. The CTX handles crosswinds and trucks with absolutely no nervousness.

I have very little faith in the Trophy. I rode it up to West Virginia yesterday, but every time I stopped I was worried that it wouldn't start again. I plan to ride the CTX to Indiana on Easter Sunday. I have absolutely no worries about its ability to get me home.

The CTX1300 has more than enough power to get out of the way of the other traffic. What I learned with the CTX700 was that you rarely go into that top portion of the power curve. For real world riding, my CTX700 was as capable as my Wee Strom which had a much higher Horse Power rating. The CTX1300 is the same way. I'm not a racer. I'll rarely ever touch all that high-end Horse Power with the Trophy. For normal stuff, the CTX1300 is every bit as capable as the Trophy.

Reactions: Anthony
#14 · (Edited)
Hmm, the CTX vastly superior on the slab? Can you expound on that? I'm waiting to get a look at the CTX as soon as dealers around here get them in. In the mean time I've almost convinced myself I'm buying a new R1200RT,.. rode one, loved it in every way, but want to check out the CTX first before I pull the trigger. I love the Beemers ergos, the riding poston is perfect for me, sooo comfortable (and the bike is light for the segment, which never hurts). This is what I worry about with the CTX, more cruiser-ish, feet-slightly-forward seating position. I imagine it's comfortable around town and on shorter trips, but what about all day riding? The trophy has similar ergos to the R1200RT, which do you find more comfortable and why?

#5 · (Edited)
Well, Ken, it's been over 10 years since I've ridden a sport bike or sport tourer, so I'm not going to try to compare the CTX1300 to them, and I'll gladly concede that any sport tourer will likely outperform it at the top end and in the twisties. But I did crack it a little harder earlier today than I had previously, a little 4th gear blast up to about 4k rpm around a couple of SMVs, it just caught me by surprise how it kept pulling hard. The T-bird pulled harder down low, but it would start gasping at 4k, where the CTX felt like it was just hitting its happy place. All I know is, I was hanging on like I haven't had to hang on in quite some time. Another 100 miles or so I'll start playing to see what it can really do. :D

And, just to add to your point about dependability -- I have no reservations whatsoever. The T-bird, while it never gave me reason for concern, had still never actually proven itself. And there was a common issue with its rear wheel bearing, which I'm still not sure was a problem with mine or not, but it was always in the back of my mind. No such doubt with a Honda. Just get on, start it up and go. ;)

#9 ·
Way above my pay grade, Dave!! :D

Funny how that one stupid component stuck in my craw like that to the point that I semi-subconsciously avoided putting too many miles on the bike for fear of awaking that potential flaw lying in wait, and of course the inevitable 6,000 mile service that was going to soak me a good chunk of my hard earned pittance because I'm not quite capable of doing most of it myself.

I don't have any of that apprehension any more. :)

#10 · (Edited)
If I'm not mistaken Ed,wasn't your bike a 2012 model year?? If so,your's should have came thru with the updated hub/bearing assembly.To the best of my knowledge,it was only the early Tbirds,09 and 10 models that had the problem,and naturally,I had one of em.DUH!! Of course,I wouldn't have any other way.Double DUH!!!! lol But the later models were corrected.

And don't be too sure about the CTX just yet as it too "IS" a new model and could also have growing pains like other models have had.Dave!!!

#12 ·
That may be true ED,but it's STILL a NEW model or should I say,alittle different from the ST model.For example,and according to what I've read on here,the gearing and torque numbers have been changed,which could be good,or could be bad.And the only way Honda is gonna find out,is to put the machine in the field to see what it does,then address any problems accordingly.And this is true of most new model vehicles.But let's hope you're right.;) So far,so good!! ;);):)Dave!!!

#16 ·
The BMW R1200RT is a different ride than the CTX1300. Sport Touring vs. Touring. One is more "spirited" than the other. You will have to decide what kind of riding you want to be doing and then you will have your answer which bike to go with. I have a ST1100 but don't ride it like the sport tourer that it is. I prefer a more relaxed, laid back, touring style. The ST will do that, but it really wants to get going and get more spirited. The CTX1300 will get going as well and for the rpm range that I ride my current bike in the CTX will out perform (power and speed wise) my ST1100 even though the ST has a higher HP. The ST will go faster, eventually as rpm builds up, but I never go there. Torque is about the same, but both torque and HP happen at much higher rpm than I ride and higher than the CTX ever needs to go. So at the same lower rpm range that I use the CTX is stronger and MUCH more comfortable on the slab than my ST. This much I can tell from just 2 test rides including a few miles on the slab.
If you prefer to rev it up higher and much faster or spirited than you would get just touring then the sport touring style will suit you better. While the CTX can be considered somewhat sporty... for a tourer, it is not a sport touring bike. Of course, the same can and has been said of the current Goldwing and especially the F6B. There is also the riding position to consider.

I don't particularly find the ST the most comfortable ride. It's OK. MUCH better than a cruiser and better than a sport bike (2 extremes that I cannot manage in comfort for any amount of time). As I get older my knees and hips have started getting more picky about the riding position and the ST is beginning to feel too cramped for riding tank to tank. The standard/touring position is the most comfortable for me. GW/F6B and CTX1300 are just about the only 2 bikes I know that hit that mark spot on.
Hope this helps. Wish I owned one to be able to give a more authoritative viewpoint.

#17 ·
Well said Bob. I'm on my 2nd ST1100 and use it more as a two-up mount. Figure I have another 5 years or so before I can't tolerate the aggressive ergos. That's why the CTX series is appealing to me.

I can't and don't ride like this pic, and if I did the wife would probably never ride with me again :eek: Doesn't the wife in this pic just look thrilled? ;)

#19 ·
The main reason the CTX is better than the Trophy on the highway is that the CTX is more relaxed. The Trophy has the weight up high and nearer the front of the bike. This is great in the twisties, but requires more attention on the highway.

The CTX ignores cross winds and the vortexes around the trucks. The CTX runs much smoother at highway speeds. The CTX handles damp asphalt without all the wiggling around you get from the back of the Trophy.

The Trophy handles rain grooves better and has an excellent cruise control.

Overall, I just feel like I can sit back and relax as I roll down the highway on the CTX. With the Trophy things are a bit more busy.

Reactions: sleepngbear
#20 ·
A comparison of the Tiger 800 to the CTX would be very similar to this. This is why I moved from the former to the latter. I want to ride some longer tours this year and would prefer to pay more attention to the scenery than the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.