CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy listing to music as I ride but as we all know the speakers are only good at slower MPH and helmet speakers can be iffy. I have not found any helmet speakers that work for me so I usually ride with a single earbud in paired to my phone for music and GPS. I can't put in two because then I can't hear other sounds I may need to including my own bikes sounds.

I was scanning Amazon yesterday and I came across these things (I had never heard of) called Bone Conductive Headphones. They don't go in your ears but have littlie pads that rest on the outside just in front of your ears. They use sounds waves to pass through the bone to the auditory nerve. From what I was reading they are good if you have minor hearing loss, but what intrigued me most is they claim to provide good sound without blocking your ears and preventing you from hearing other sounds. I ordered a cheaper pair to see if they work and they arrived a bit ago. I gave them a try just in my house and it is different. I can hear the music well and it seem like there is a speaker right outside of my ear but when you pull them away there is only a very faint sound. I will give them a try on my next ride and report back. Just wondered if any others have given these a try.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
250 Posts
The bone phone...

In the 70's they had a phone that you put around your neck that did bone conduction.

Spec ops also used bone conduction technology.

Very old concept but maybe new technology can make it practical.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
As you say back in the 70s we had a am-fm radio inside one of those you laid it around your neck. They were pretty cool and actually worked. Don’t know what happed to it.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I've been wearing these Aeropex for several years now when I take my daily walk with my dog. This way I can hear cars approaching and the birdies. They sound quite good for the size. Dunno how well you'll hear them over road noise, unless you have a quiet helmet.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went for a nice early ride today of about 75 miles and I tried out my new Bone Conductive headphones. I was very happy with how well they work. I could hear my music like there was speaker right by my ear but I could still hear all the ambient sounds. It is not the best sound out there but for me it the best I have found so far. I think I will return the cheap pair and get a better one to ride with like @bruceb uses.

Thanks,
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts