CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 2nd rear wheel to mount a tire for canyon running.
I see on ebay a number of rear wheels both grey(standard), and black(deluxe) and like to know if anyone knows if they are interchangeable on a standard bike?

I just saw this thread and see they have grey wheels, in Canada that are Deluxe models..
Fingers Crossed CTX Sunday

I see they are different part numbers, but would like to confirm the paint is only the difference.

:cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I don’t know for sure but with the ABS there should be a pickup ring for the sensor. You might check that.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
That's what I was going to say also...
The mounting for the slotted ABS ring must be there if it will be mounted on a Deluxe model. If mounting on a standard model bike then it doesn't matter... I don't think. I think they are both the same other than the ABS ring.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@pcdoctorcom @bob

I believe that CTX standard USA model clear wheels do not have the pre-drilled holes to screw in the ABS ring. Rest of the world models "clear" aluminum wheels should have it as they have ABS. Some one with a standard USA model could look and double check.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
That's what I was thinking but didn't remember. That's why I stated to make sure the mounting (pre-drilled holes) are there for the ABS ring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a spare wheel to use when I take my bike for inspection here in Pa. I run a car tire on the back but must have a motorcycle tire mounted for inspection. My spare wheel came from a standard ctx and did not have the mount hills for the abs ring.I simply drilled and taped the holes and transfer the ring for inspection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a spare wheel to use when I take my bike for inspection here in Pa. I run a car tire on the back but must have a motorcycle tire mounted for inspection. My spare wheel came from a standard ctx and did not have the mount hills for the abs ring.I simply drilled and taped the holes and transfer the ring for inspection.
Thanks, Avi8er, ...
You have answered my question. I run on the darkside as well for cruising, commuting and light running. Got 22k miles on the current tire, (more than half the tread left).

But I love the way the bike runs in the canyons and like to do a quick run now and then. My goal is to get a ST1300 for the canyons but until then I'll be happy to swap the rear wheels.

I think I can safely assume the Deluxe wheel will run on the standard model since you are running just the opposite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What size car tire do you run on your CTX? Besides the longevity, what differences do you feel?

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s a 175/55R17 Bridgestone Potenza. Have 6896 Miles on it and can just tell it’s not new as far as wear. Mounting is a pain as the rim is a little larger than a car wheel.
I have under certain conditions noted a sensation of wobble at low speeds, 20 to 30 mph.
Having the air pressure right at about 39 psi illuminates that. Otherwise no difference. I’m sold on it. Never felt close to loosing grip at any angle, wet or dry. YMMV

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why not just call a local Honda dealer and ask them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What size car tire do you run on your CTX? Besides the longevity, what differences do you feel?
I run a Hankook Ventus 205/50/17 K120 and for commuting, I do not feel much of a difference. Because of the rather wide flat tread, the CTX does not want to lean as easily. It will almost stand up by itself if I get off of it. I imagine a run flat with stiffer sidewalls would if it was balanced. When commuting to and from work I don't notice much difference.

Now in the rain, light or heavy, it is far more stable than the Bridgstore Excedra MAX. Where the Bridgestone would slip and slide some going over and edge between lanes, the Hankook doesn't flinch at all. And talk about grip in the rain, ... I'd give the Hankook 200% better rating. I road through some really heavy rain on it where the cars had to slow down to keep from hydroplaning. The CTX with the Hankook just plowed through it without any issues and maintained stability and traction so well that backing off the throttle didn't slide or hydroplane. Very comfortable and confident.

Riding over pea-gravel, was much easier with the fat rear tread, not to mention that it felt much more stable.

I just purchased a 2nd rear wheel and will be mounting an Excedra Max on it for canyon running. Swapping it out takes about 10 minutes. Allows me to play in both worlds. For commuting, I will use a CT on all my bikes based on my experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts