CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been out in heavy rain? Just wondering if they kept the water out. I am plnning a trip around Oregon and may hit some rain.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Yep, been in heavy rain. On my way to, and back during my trip to LOCSTOC in Wisconsin a few weeks ago I met with very heavy rain. Both times were close to home. Both times other traffic was pulling over to wait. The second time there was a tornado warning a few miles away so I pulled off with some other bikers and waited a while under a gas station canopy. No problems with water in the bags. Just don't over fill them so they bulge or gap or there will be water getting in. I made sure they would close all the way around. I did notice on another ride in rain after the trip that there was just a little water that seeped in the bottom seam. I know that is where it came in since I have a tub liner membrane in the bottom of both bags to keep stuff out of the hinge area and there was a little bit of water under that but not over it. Probably from splash coming off the road. So put a thick plastic or rubber sheet in the bottom to keep stuff from getting pinched in the hinge area and also keep water from getting to stuff from the bottom. Never noticed any wetness before or since though, and I've been looking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob. That is good to know!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found out the hard way that you CANNOT over stuff these bags because the seam does open up enough to let water in. I had a bag with some shoes and other things in it and when I put it in the saddlebag, even though it was tight, I thought the saddlebag closed properly, but apparently the seam was open just enough to let water in.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
So put a thick plastic or rubber sheet in the bottom to keep stuff from getting pinched in the hinge area and also keep water from getting to stuff from the bottom.
Excellent idea. I think I have some leftover shower pan liner stuff that would be perfect for this.

I thought I had installed everything on the bike that I wanted, but this does bring up one more thing on my wish list: saddlebag liners. Has anyone found any yet that will work? I tried a set of "large" ones from Saddlemen but returned them because they were way too small.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
HERE'S the link to my post on the floor liners. I also used tub liner, or shower pan liner (same thing), material.

Instead of a single saddlebag liner "bag" to fill the space I now use a number of stuff sacks to keep things in and also to sort them. I find it easier for me to manage a 2-3 stuff sacks with draw strings than to put everything into one bigger bag. All my bungee cords in a stuff sack and cleaning rags in another. In the other saddlebag I have an extra set of gloves (for either warmer or cooler temps) just loose but my rain suit is in it's own stuff sack and my first aid kit is in it's own soft sided pouch. I really don't have any issues with stuff falling out. Maybe falling into the lid when I open the left saddlebag but not falling out to the ground. And the floor liners I put in keeps everything out of the hinge side so there is no pinching of anything there when I close the lids. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts