CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for being long winded with this post, but it's the only way I know to get the idea across to you guys.

There seems to be a general consensus among most forum members that we have a beautiful backrest/luggage rack, but that it lacks any meaningful utility. So, for what it's worth, I came up with a new idea and I've posted pictures in the Gallery in an album called "New Backrest Setup" under my user name TomP. Anybody who's interested can just go the the gallery and check it out.

I took my saddle bags off the bike soon after I got it. I think the bike looks better without them and I would hit my foot on them every time I on or off the bike. With the bags off, I had to come up with some way to carry stuff.

My first plan was to simply wear a backpack if I needed to carry something, but the reality is that you always need to carry stuff - rain gear, tools, kickstand puck, etc. So, I found an old camera bag and bolted it to the luggage rack thru the threaded holes meant for the trunk. (BTW, these require metric M8 x 30 tpi x whatever length you need).

I've become increasingly disatisfied with the camera bag setup (too small and a bit too wide), so I came up with a new idea that seems to be working out very well. It involves a tall but narrow backpack (Rothco brand) for which I made a hard framework out of poly board (King Starboard). The base of it gives the luggage rack another inch on each side and an average of about 2.5" extra inches in the back. And, the backpack about triples my storage.

The vertical and horizontal pieces of poly board are connected by a piece of angle iron (2x2x1/8). I had to get the angle iron off of 90 degrees and down to about 75 degrees to account for the cant of the factory backrest. It is a very strong setup, but at the moment there is a bit too much flex in the vertical poly board when my wife leans against it, so I am going to add two vertical pieces of angle iron. BTW, my wife loves it; she's much more comfortable now.

The vertical piece is inside the backpack and the horizontal piece sits directly on the luggage rack. Obviously I was connecting the pieces right thru the material of the backpack - I used large fender washers to protect the material from further damage.

I then thought it would be cool to have another cushion above the factory cushion. I did this down and dirty with some foam, plywood, glue and staples. You'll see from the pictures that I had to build a standoff for the upper rest because of the cant of the whole thing.

If I continue to like the look and utility of this setup, I'm going to find a professional to build an upper cushion to look just like the factory cushion below. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Here is one picture (if I posted it correctly); the rest are in the Gallery album:

Attachments

Reactions: manuman

· Registered
279 Posts
that's pretty cool
my thought was Honda should have just built a quick release backrest that would lock onto the top box mount
that way you can have the rest when you want and the top box when you need it
the rest looks so good
but the box holds so much stuff
its just hard to look cool with a big scooter box hanging off the back
and yup I got the top box

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi Tom, sorry to go off subject but i have the Blue myself, your paint looks gleaming! how did you get her looking so good, maybe our blue is slightly different here in Australia. Are you using a particular polish or wax or did you just get her best side in the best light?

I noticed you have what looks like a tinted shield is it a Cee Baileys or not and hows it working our for you?

Sorry guys i am relatively new to this new fangled computer stuff and don't know if i should be asking Tom questions any other way.

Jim

· Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jim - Re the color, I think you're just seeing the result of a modest increase in color saturation. I usually "fix" my pics in PhotoShop before I let anybody see them.

My windscreen is a Madstad. It's manually adjustable up and down so you can fine tune the flow of air coming thru the bottom and over the top to reduce the overall turbulence you feel. It works great! I'm sure they would make one for you, but the installation can be difficult depending on your particular abilities. They are only about 45 minutes from my house, so I had it easy. Check them out: Home - Madstad Engineering

Tom

· Registered
227 Posts
Hey TomP. I like your backpack idea. Looks pretty good.
Have you ridden in the rain with that Madstad windshield? I was wondering if it gave you any more protection than the Honda Tall Shield does, which is basically none.

· Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Kook, I have no experience with the Honda tall windshield so I can't give a comparison. Given where we live, T-Storms are the norm. Since I can usually pick and choose when I ride, I've only got caught in bad storms twice to where I should have pulled off the road, but everybody else was going 15mph anyway. Nothing helps in this kind of rain.

In normal rain, I think the Madstad is fine. I don't wear a helmet and it took me a while to get the height adjusted just right so that I can wear a baseball cap at 60mph without it blowing off and with me still looking over the top over the shield. This and a light rain jacket make most rain no problem for me - even a relief sometimes, as I got my brain fried on a 70 mile ride this afternoon. I think my contacts might be burned onto my eyeballs - summer fast approaching. I'm going to miss the great winter we just had (lots of beautiful days in the 60's and 70's the poor Northerners can only dream of in January)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.