CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, snow in Alberta, my bike is warm and cozy in my heated garage. Other than an oil, filter and dif oil change, I will be installing a BC-30 Garmin backup camera. As we all know the mirrors are less than reasonable! The camera will sit under the billet for the back rest. I will post pictures when done.
I am also going to re-fit an amateur radio on the bike to use APRS. (global positioning).
Should be a fun project.
Glen

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a guy (sorry but I don't recall who) that replaces the mirrors with backup cameras. He takes the existing glass and removes the silver coating (the reflective part of the mirror) and replaces it with the cameras. The cameras come on when the bike is started. View is adjusted by moving the cameras located in the rear of the bike. Do a Google search and see what comes up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a guy (sorry but I don't recall who) that replaces the mirrors with backup cameras. He takes the existing glass and removes the silver coating (the reflective part of the mirror) and replaces it with the cameras. The cameras come on when the bike is started. View is adjusted by moving the cameras located in the rear of the bike. Do a Google search and see what comes up.
Thanks Brian, that is a great idea. I will check it out

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
If you can't see your mirrors how would a rear view camera, showing you whats behind you in that same mirror's location be of any use? Wouldn't you need a separate screen to view? Or am I missing something here.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
If you can't see your mirrors how would a rear view camera, showing you whats behind you in that same mirror's location be of any use? Wouldn't you need a separate screen to view? Or am I missing something here.
True. The problem is the position of the mirrors. One can always add mirrors on stalks atop the reservoirs. Easy.

I don't need 'em. Just go faster than everyone else! :devilish:
Ooo. Pretty blue lights!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found it! Here is the youtube video where he replaces the left mirror with a backup camera and the right mirror with a GPS.

And here:

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Same questions as in post 5 above.
I ended up getting mirrors mounted on the brake/clutch reservoirs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
These setups use ONE rear view camera (wide angle) and display the ONE camera on ONE mirror/display. The other mirror/display is used for GPS. For the CTX1300 using the factory location in this camera/display configuration will NOT solve the handle bar in the way of viewing problem because.. well there is still a viewing obstacle. People have said adjust the bars.. there isn't a problem.. but for me and days/weeks/months of adjusting and riding adding additional mirrors up top was the only solution for a safer ride. Again this is a great technology solution for a problem, unfortunately the CTX1300 has a different problem low mirrors and an upright riding position.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Where did you find the mirrors to mount on the reservoirs? That seems like the simplest solution.
There are numerous options as far as size/shape/price/finish online. Just google "motorcycle mirrors. You'll have to check the thread size you'll need, cause I forgot what they are. Most come with adapters of like 8mm or 10mm thread, and some with a reverse thread for one side. The one thing I did look for was one or two set screws on the shaft/ball/swivel whatever ya call it that you can tighten down your preferred view and they stay there and don't vibrate. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! You mentioned that you attached them to the reservoirs. Most of the ones I see screw into a socket, but many have adapters to clamp onto the handlebars, so the mirror screws into the adapter. Is that how you did it? Or did you find something that actually attaches to the reservoir? Bar-end also look like a good option.

·
Registered
573 Posts
@MichaelJ you might check out the Knowledge Sharing Document for some mirror options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@MichaelJ you might check out the Knowledge Sharing Document for some mirror options.
Thank you, @CaliChaos, great resource! Is there a key to the color coding?

Partially answering my own question, I finally noticed the slotted cover hiding the mirror mount holes! No more question about how to mount them :).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank you, @CaliChaos, great resource! Is there a key to the color coding?
When the document was new, the colors helped point out new / added resources by date.. now that the document is old.. the colors are some what unneeded and probably should be removed. Glad the resources has been helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts