CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so long ago (July 2021) I purchased and installed one of these:

and the install:

I rode 8000 miles in July for nearly a month - no problems. I parked the bike for most of August, but started it w few times.

At some point I attached my trusty battery tender:

Recently I have gone out to the bike for a ride, and I disconnect the tender and the bike turns on, but won't start, not enough cranking juice. Odd the battery tender was on it. I jump start the bike from my truck, and ride the day, no problems with several stops and starts.

Park bike - attempt to start bike the next day - weak start (no tender used because damn I just rode it less than 24 hours ago).

I did read this

but I am not sure it applies because 24 hours seems quick even for a parasite electrical draw.

so bad battery? bad battery tender?
time to buy something new?

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
so the saga continues.

I got me another battery charger:

No change in behavior. Charge the battery and it is slow / weak to start.
Ride the bike all day, do stops, and each time it starts right up.

So what's up?
The battery I bought is:

Besides the dimension differences, today I noticed:
12V 14AH - 200CCA

the battery they suggest from the selection wizard
12V 10AH - 220CCA

The factory battery: YTZ14S battery with 210 CCA

10 CCA can't be what the problem is.. can it?

I see the recent post here:
that points to a battery : YTZ14S - 12V 11.2AH 230 CCA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you done any meter checks to see what resting voltage is after a charge cycle. That is pull charger and put a meter on it an hour later. Start bike and turn off a couple times, what is voltage 5 mins later.

Check voltage on bike running to see what charge the alternator is putting out.

My guess bad battery the way it sounds like a charge isn't putting a strong charge on it.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so about 50 minutes later, I go out and the battery charger thinks the battery is charged

13.0 V
disconnect charger; 13.0 V
key on ; 12V
attempt start 11.5 V no start and the strong smell of ozone.

yeah I think the battery is wounded. I guess I'll take it out and get it tested at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Curious you have anything connected directly to battery? It only takes a single kill of battery to do damage. If not warranty battery and be sure to check alternator on the new one to be sure it's working good.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
65 Posts
I agree, sounds like a bad cell.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you have a clear warranty without guilt. Should be free replacement at that age, I would start a claim. Let us know how warranty goes.
Well the battery tested "bad" at O'Reilly's - and they kindly provided a print out.

I sent a photo of that bad report to bigtimebattery.com and they quickly sent out a replacement. No fuss. It arrived in 3 days I think.

Installed new battery this morning, and I will ride a bit today. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well another day and another successful start. So I think all is ok in the world. More riding tonight and this weekend, but I think this oddity is resolved. Thanks to those who chimed in on troubleshooting and suggestions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you have doubts on something putting draw on battery test with a meter. Test battery with no connections after removing cables and letting sit 30 minutes or longer. Connect main cables and test...then next part.. doesn't take much to drop a battery

1 - 17 of 17 Posts