CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the most frustrating thing I have found on this bike. The dealer had replace the bad battery in my bike. Before they replaced it, the battery cover fit perfectly. Now there's a gap and it looks like it doesn't stay closed. I have read all the posts about the broken tabs ... I have not broken tabs. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so how they resolved it? I talked to the dealer and I just keep getting they all do that so deal with it ... I don't want to "deal" with it! Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Frustrating for sure. I believe the broken tab thread also has posts about what people have done about the separation even when the tab is OK. I was one of those. I left off the front plastic rivet (by the speaker) which relieved the stress on the flimsy cover. Works fine. Others have tied various supports from the outer cowl to under the little storage compartment. Hope something works for you, as it is horrible to have to look at it while riding...detracts from the otherwise great experience.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
In one post (don't remember if it was the Broken Tab Story or another thread) I mentioned that I did something similar to what another member here did. I left out the plastic rivet in the storage box closest to the rear tab of the middle cowl (seen in your 4th photo where the tab and the rivet are very close together) and I used a small zip tie through the rivet hole and through the tab slot (seemed easiest to me). Do not tighten to much but just enough to pull the middle cowl snug to the top shelter a bit. This zip tie also holds the left storage box down so the plastic rivet won't be needed there. The result is that the small edge tabs on the cover will stay under the middle cowl edge. Another thing the dealer service may have neglected is that there is a bundle of wires from the starter relay that runs down just at the back side of the battery box. When the middle cowl is removed, as it needs to be to replace the battery, that bundle usually falls to the outside of the battery box and pushes the middle cowl out causing an issue with the battery cover. I posted a thread on that issue HERE. Hopes this all helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for this. They told me they only removed the left fairing. Do you think that the middle cowl would have moved or been removed as well to replace that left fairing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
After I pulled the plastics to install my OEM fog lights, I noticed that both inner panels were not fitting as nicely as before. I solved it by ordering the updated inner panels (with larger tabs) part number is mentioned in the broken tab thread, but it's also listed on bike bandit or partzilla etc. The updated panels part number ends in 01 instead of 00. They were $14.00 each and was well worth $28.00 to me to have them fitting perfectly again.

my $0.02 YMMV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just as an FYI, brand new ctx owner here, and had the same issue: dealership took out the inner fairing/cowl bit to attach a battery tender pigtail. Rode bike home and then sat through four days of rain. TOok it out for a good ride yesterday and couldn't stop staring at the **** gap. VERY irritating.

Anybody by any chance have the part number for the new and improved inner fairing/cowl bit?
Thanks,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just as an FYI, brand new ctx owner here, and had the same issue: dealership took out the inner fairing/cowl bit to attach a battery tender pigtail. Rode bike home and then sat through four days of rain. TOok it out for a good ride yesterday and couldn't stop staring at the **** gap. VERY irritating.

Anybody by any chance have the part number for the new and improved inner fairing/cowl bit?
Thanks,
i also recently discovered this battery tender pigtail- so this is not stock? and can i also use it as an additional power outlet?

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Battery tender pigtail is not stock. I found that it is up to the dealer if they want to put that in for you. Not all dealers do. Yes, it can be used for anything you want to plug into the SAE connector. But be aware that it is always powered so when you turn off the bike you need to unplug what you have it plugged into, or at least make sure all power is off.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually just sent photos over to my dealership, and the service department is currently in discussions with honda as to how to address. I've found that the inner cowl is out of place enough that it's actually pushing the OUTER cowl out of position.

Hopefully they're going to do right by me since I literally JUST purchased the bike....but we shall see I suppose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up taking my back to the dealer and they replaced the battery cover and cowl and it looks much better. Talk to your dealer and the new parts seem to correct this issue as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honda Powersports and every local dealer didn't give a s#!] about mine under warranty. Broken tab and everything. Also a big scratch
on my front fairing brand new. In addition, had a problem on my new CB1100 also which took a year and 3 months to fix. I ended up having to zip tie down from underneath, both the left and right side covers so they would stay flush with the fairing. Not an easy task. Glad I'm done with Honda and just saw my next bike last night for the very first time ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To update the situation, I took the bike into the dealer and they replace both parts. After two weeks of riding ... same issue. Any other recommendations? I would really like to at least get the visible gap smaller. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To update the situation, I took the bike into the dealer and they replace both parts. After two weeks of riding ... same issue. Any other recommendations? I would really like to at least get the visible gap smaller. Thank you for any help.
Since there are some people around here that don't think I contribute, here it is. First take some strong carpet thread and tie it to the snap connector on the cover underneath. Make a loop at the other end of thread. Now put the cover in place and loop the thread through the tab. Now take a 12 inch zip tie and loop it through the end of the thread loop. From there, snap the cover down into place. Now you'll have to find a attachment point near the bike fork to loop the zip tie through, connect it and then tighten it down until the cover is flush with the side of the fairing. This worked for me on both sides. Isn't it just lovely that Mr. Honda 99% failure gives you %1 success...has us CTX1300 owners have to do this. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
See my post number 4 in this thread for a simple solution that doesn't require blind fiddling with thread nor replacing the battery cover with the new updated version. The middle cowl just needs to be slightly pulled in on the top shelter so very little strain on anything to do what I did. The older smaller tabs along the edge of the battery cover stay put very nicely doing this. It is the ONLY thing I've had to do for any part of this bike to remedy a minor issue that "should" be covered under warranty. I've owned a few makes of bikes (and cars/vans, etc) with more body or mechanical issues that were more serious that needed attention. But all were able to be handled without much effort or complaint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
See my post number 4 in this thread for a simple solution that doesn't require blind fiddling with thread nor replacing the battery cover with the new updated version. The middle cowl just needs to be slightly pulled in on the top shelter so very little strain on anything to do what I did. The older smaller tabs along the edge of the battery cover stay put very nicely doing this. It is the ONLY thing I've had to do for any part of this bike to remedy a minor issue that "should" be covered under warranty. I've owned a few makes of bikes (and cars/vans, etc) with more body or mechanical issues that were more serious that needed attention. But all were able to be handled without much effort or complaint.
Both covers are mis-engineered and don't fit. That's why my Neanderthalic Honda dealer that set up the bike broke the tab when they installed the battery and then didn't give a s#|] about replacing it. Also there was a big scratch in the front fairing when I picked it up they give s#|] about either. I can't believe Honda has turned into another American car company. Mr. Honda must be spinning in his grave!!!!! Harley here I come.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts