CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
krhenrie -

I too had the exact same scenario. It seems so simple.

I tried ties - nope.
I tried Gorilla Glue on tabs - nope.
I tried JB Weld Plastic - nope.

I tried Maximum Strength Crazy Glue - Bingo!

Put a little bit of crazy glue on black tabs and glued to underneath cowling. I have a new battery so not a worry for a few years. To replace the panel is $13 bucks. Big deal. If I have to get in I can get in. Bottom line is it held. And looks great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Have the same problem as all have had .. and currently going through the need to change the battery .
issue I have is the tab ( female ) has been broken and the dealer is " so " !!! ... Grrrrrrrr
I now have to figure how to attach this tab which is Photo 4 on krhenrie post 04/09/2017 back to the wall .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Bob! I am working with my dealer one more time and have contacted Honda directly and opened a support case with them. If I get the sorry speech then I will start making modifications. This is a minor issue compared to other bikes I have owned, just annoying its right where I can see it ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have the same problem as all have had .. and currently going through the need to change the battery .
issue I have is the tab ( female ) has been broken and the dealer is " so " !!! ... Grrrrrrrr
I now have to figure how to attach this tab which is Photo 4 on krhenrie post 04/09/2017 back to the wall .
Use a zip tie from back and underneath. Then you can adjust the height flush with the fairing. And if need to remove the cover just cut the zip tie. Easy.

As for the dealer, this is his Philosophy ...

http://q.likesuccess.com/83/4145396-p-t-barnum-quotes.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My apologies, but I am not sure where do I put or attach the zip tie? I understand the idea, but don't know where to attach the zip tie to the battery cover. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My apologies, but I am not sure where do I put or attach the zip tie? I understand the idea, but don't know where to attach the zip tie to the battery cover. Thank you.
Tie some button/carpet thread to the back white prong under the cover. Then tie the other end of the thread to a zip tie. Then loop the zip tie to hole you can find someplace on the fork. Once all connected, tighten down the zip tie which will pull the cover down tight and flush with the fairing. Use a needle nose plier to tighten the zip tie. It's difficult to explain.

Oh by the way for all you super duper MODS out there, I have a slow leak in my back tire which I can't fill up with air because the valve clearance to the rim. Honda really out did itself with this bike...maybe we could have this picture as the background for the main page on this website...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/mistakesdemotivator.jpeg

Reactions: krhenrie

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not going to defend Honda on the plastics, but the valve stem clearance issue seems pretty common these days. The CTX stems are easier to get to than the ones on my Concours 14, but not much. Your best bets are to get 90 degree valve stems put in at your next tire change or, if you have your own air compressor, get something like a side-fitting air chuck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not going to defend Honda on the plastics, but the valve stem clearance issue seems pretty common these days. The CTX stems are easier to get to than the ones on my Concours 14, but not much. Your best bets are to get 90 degree valve stems put in at your next tire change or, if you have your own air compressor, get something like a side-fitting air chuck.
I wonder why Honda wouldn't think of this in the place! Cause they don't care! You mention "...if you have your own air compressor, get something like a side-fitting air chuck.." What if your 2000 miles from home and low on air"?

:mad:

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
Here are a few photos showing what I did. My cover was fitting rather close anyway but this improved the fit. This is where I put the zip tie and left the plastic rivet out where I put it. The zip tie holds what the plastic rivet was holding and also pulls in the middle cowl a little to enable the tiny tabs on the edge of the battery cover to catch better. I have the original old battery cover and not the newer part with the larger edge tabs. DON'T tighten the zip tie very tight but only enough to pull in the middle cowl a little. The joint to look at is where my finger is pointing. You can see the zip tie just left of that. OH, and just a note, this only works if your tab is intact as shown on mine. If it is broken, and your dealer doesn't replace the middle cowl under warranty (assuming you looked for it right away), then find a different dealer and report the deadbeat dealer in the Dealers and Pricing forum. You may have to figure a modification to this if the tab is broken. This is similar to one or more mods I did on my ST and Gold Wing and also my Vulcan. But is WAY less than I had to do on my HD.

And here is what my cover looks like now. The right side cover fits the same with no mods at all.

Valve clearance due to straight in valves (not angled) is an issue on a great many bikes. I've had that on my HD, my Vulcan, my Burgman, my ST, and my wife's scooter. Changed the valve stems on those last 3 with angled stems and all is well. My Gold Wing was the only bike I've owned that came with angled stems. And I was 200 miles from home and needed to add air when I had straight stems on my ST once. Just used a little more effort to bend the hose and got the job done no problem. On my CTX I added 83 deg angled stems at the first tire change. THESE are the stems I put on from Amazon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
bob your post finally provided me an answer that works!!! Thank you so much. For anyone else with this issue this is a quick easy fix that works. I have posted pictures to show what I did, following Bob's example. You can see the gap before. I removed the battery cover. Then removed the plastic rivet. Put the zip tie through the cowl and the hole where the plastic rivet was. Tightened it just enough to allow the battery cover to go back on and close the gap ... and no more gap!!! I hope this helps but bob deserves the credit! Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Thanks everyone. After getting home from the dealership (278 miles away) with my new CTX I see that I've got the dreaded gap. Now will be able to fix with your help. Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
bob your post finally provided me an answer that works!!! Thank you so much. For anyone else with this issue this is a quick easy fix that works. I have posted pictures to show what I did, following Bob's example. You can see the gap before. I removed the battery cover. Then removed the plastic rivet. Put the zip tie through the cowl and the hole where the plastic rivet was. Tightened it just enough to allow the battery cover to go back on and close the gap ... and no more gap!!! I hope this helps but bob deserves the credit! Thanks again!
YESS! & SHAZZAAM! Thank you for this great post! @bob, that you, also!:smileygarden_de_ban

Problem resolved!

Reactions: bob and krhenrie

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is the most frustrating thing I have found on this bike. The dealer had replace the bad battery in my bike. Before they replaced it, the battery cover fit perfectly. Now there's a gap and it looks like it doesn't stay closed. I have read all the posts about the broken tabs ... I have not broken tabs. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so how they resolved it? I talked to the dealer and I just keep getting they all do that so deal with it ... I don't want to "deal" with it! Thank you for your help!
Would anyone know where to purchase this part? Mine flew off while the other day..

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
Would anyone know where to purchase this part? Mine flew off while the other day..
Welcome to the forum @Ireidy17
I've posted this in several places in the forum threads as have others here. Any discount parts web site for Honda mc parts should have it for order as also the dealer parts departments. You can see the part number at this web site which is my favorite goto place for Honda parts if your dealer parts desk has no clue what to order:
2014 Honda CTX1300A AC METER VISOR / SPEAKER UNIT | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation
You want item 17 in the list if it is the battery cover that is missing. If it was properly installed it should not have blown away. The plastic rivets should be enough to hold it as well as the pegs that fit into the tabs (the tabs that are notorious for breaking even from the factory as mine were).

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I’ve been staring at the same gap pictured above, for 5,000 miles. I was almost getting used to it. Ha.. I had to get to the battery again yesterday. I was dreading it, so scared of breaking a tab. I haven’t done the tab reinforcement mod yet. I had to wire up a plug for a heated jacket. So I took it apart, added my third set of wires to the battery terminals (have battery tender pigtail, and gps wires there already). When I did the reassembly, my gap was gone along that left side! Then I realized I still needed to get that plug/clip, whatever it’s called, back in on the left side of the storage tray. As soon as I put it back in on the left side of the tray, my gap re-appeared between the battery cover and the left side cowling. I’ll take it apart and do this zip tie mod. So glad I found this thread!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts