CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had issues with the battery draining when the bike is parked for even just a few days?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Bionic.
No problems with a drained battery after it sits even a week or more (hard to ride on snow sometimes). But this battery is a smaller one than in most bikes so it will drain fast if you have any additions that are always on. One big reason I favour an isolated power/fuse panel to power all my farkles (just so they are all off when the bike is off, aside from the obvious isolation to avoid damage to the factory systems just in case).

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Seems to me someone asked this question recently. Try the Search function.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wired my Garmin Montana to battery power so I could use it when the bike was parked somewhere along the road. This has been very useful.

When I was in Texas last month, I forgot to carry the little Garmin removal tool. It only took a couple of days to drain the battery with the Garmin connected.

I was able to jump start the bike and the battery charged up before I had to stop for gas.

My bikes sat for over a week last winter without any trouble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last winter I would start my bike once a month for 6-8 minutes and
no problems at all with the battery.
This winter I will keep the battery on a maintainer as I had the cord
wired in direct to the battery while the infamous panel with the
broken tab was replaced.
The tab is broken again by the way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
This bike is pretty good for not draining the battery when not ridden often. Had a stretch of rainy weather so I didn't get a chance to ride for about a month, but when I hooked up the battery charger it hardly needed any juice to top off.

Since the battery isn't so easy to get to I made sure I hooked up some weather proof battery leads the are routed out by the engine vents in the fairing, hardly noticeable. Then when I feel guilty about not riding I can hook up the charger to be sure its topped up.

Now the BMW R1200RT I had before DID drain it's battery pretty regularly when sitting for a couple of weeks. Had to do with all the fancy on-board computers and other voodoo electrical gremlins that conspired to suck the juice from your battery when you're not paying attention.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Further to a post this morning I'm traveling for the next 5 weeks, should the battery be OK over that time or will it require a trickle charge.

Cheers,

Roger.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Further to a post this morning I'm traveling for the next 5 weeks, should the battery be OK over that time or will it require a trickle charge.

Cheers,

Roger.
I would expect you'll be fine. One of the "standard tools" I keep in my saddlebag is a set of mc specific jumper cables in a small flat case. Never had to use them (except once for someone else) but just for insurance. I really forget they are there most times until I go through my pack of stuff for a trip.

ps- for those who haven't found out yet- when jumping a bike DO NOT have the source vehicle engine running, especially if jumping from a cage, or you will likely blow out your bike's charging system.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What Electrical add on's do you have? If it's not something you added, it's a bad Battery or Electrical Gremlins. A friend had Problems with his Triumph. Turned out the Battery Ground connection was loose.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Yep. If you have added something on that stays powered while it sits, (such as a garmin) it will drain the battery. Not nearly as critical as my ST1300 was. That bike only took 3 min. if you left the lights on at a gas station or stop without the motor running.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't have any additional drain that would be on whilst away. The alarm would be the only drain. My phone and GPS will be off the bike. I have one of those new gell-cell battery chargers than charge everything from the truck to the kitchen sink so I'll just test it over the 5 weeks and report when home. Bob, comment noted about charging from a vehicle but what is a cage...???.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't have any additional drain that would be on whilst away. The alarm would be the only drain. My phone and GPS will be off the bike. I have one of those new gell-cell battery chargers than charge everything from the truck to the kitchen sink so I'll just test it over the 5 weeks and report when home. Bob, comment noted about charging from a vehicle but what is a cage...???.
Lol - "cage" is slang for a car.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Cage= due to the bars around the windows and being fully enclosed when inside it. Trapped inside with limited visibility to the outside. Can be anything with 4 or more wheels (car, truck, van, etc.). The more I've been riding the bike as my primary transportation the less I want to be in a cage for any reason if I don't have to. Which is why I ride in any weather any time of the year regardless of temperature except when the the road is covered in white stuff that prohibits proper control of my bike. I've taken the bike to work and for rides when temps have been below -15*F (below -26*C, and yes that is a minus) and up to about +105*F (+40.5*C). Rain or sunshine, I am riding. Even in some snow while it's falling but when that stuff accumulates on the road surface making it hard to keep it up I'll park it (if already home) and take the bus. :D

The result of riding all the time is, like those in warmer regions, I don't let the bike sit long enough to worry about battery drain other than caused by leaving something on while at work. But since I design all my electrical farkles to power off automatically when the bike is off even those are no worry. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts