CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts, I need help.
My new battery seems to drain when my phone is connected by BT and I use the CTX speakers.
I went on a 300 mi ride on the 4 year old battery that came with the bike and all was fine. At least 10 stops and starts while using the BT function with the CTX speakers. No problems at all. A few short rides later, the battery would drain to a no start condition. I bought an eveready tender, connected the cables to the battery terminals then charged the battery and the battery came back to start the bike but same thing…..drained the battery after 10 minutes of riding with the BT connected to a no start state. I replaced the battery and all seemed fine for a few short 50 mile runs for a week and then it happened again, not enough juice to start the bike when using the BT and playing Pandora thru the bike speakers.
I got a jump start and rode home with out the BT connected and the bike starts just fine.
Has anyone experienced a battery drain while riding with the blue tooth connected and using the speakers?
Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
It is strange that it seems fine when you don't use the audio system. I wonder what would happen if you tested just a little further and set the sound output to go through BT instead of speakers without changing how your phone is connected? I know you wouldn't be hearing anything without a helmet headset but this would be a test to further narrow down what the issue may be. My first thought was there may be a problem with the charging system but since the battery is fine when not using the audio system I wonder. The audio system really shouldn't be using so much power to drain the battery after only 10 mins so that doesn't totally rule out the charging system, but it also doesn't rule out the audio system. I do know that engine rpm needs to be around 2000 just to overcome normal bike operation to charge the battery. I also know that the alternator is able to keep the bike running by itself above that. So the charging system should also be checked to see what the voltage is at the battery while the bike is running. I don't have the service manual but there is a test that specifies running the engine at a certain rpm and to verify a certain voltage at the battery terminals.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Test page attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is strange that it seems fine when you don't use the audio system. I wonder what would happen if you tested just a little further and set the sound output to go through BT instead of speakers without changing how your phone is connected? I know you wouldn't be hearing anything without a helmet headset but this would be a test to further narrow down what the issue may be. My first thought was there may be a problem with the charging system but since the battery is fine when not using the audio system I wonder. The audio system really shouldn't be using so much power to drain the battery after only 10 mins so that doesn't totally rule out the charging system, but it also doesn't rule out the audio system. I do know that engine rpm needs to be around 2000 just to overcome normal bike operation to charge the battery. I also know that the alternator is able to keep the bike running by itself above that. So the charging system should also be checked to see what the voltage is at the battery while the bike is running. I don't have the service manual but there is a test that specifies running the engine at a certain rpm and to verify a certain voltage at the battery terminals.
Thanks Bob,
I’m going to have the alternator/ charging system tested this afternoon and I will also try your suggestions to chase this down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob,
I’m going to have the alternator/ charging system tested this afternoon and I will also try your suggestions to chase this down.
System is charging the battery. I tried a few other small changes with the audio system to see what the results would be. The only thing I found is that if the key is left in the on position without the motor running it runs the charge down within seconds and the battery does not enough cc amps to start the motor even if the audio is off. If I wait half a minute there is enough cc amps to start the motor.
I thought this was odd. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
What brand battery?
It has been known that a new battery can have issues from the start with a bad cell or two. Possible that your original battery was just at end of life but the new battery has such an issue. I've also known a battery to recover a little bit after sitting off for a time. One of the tricks of starting a bike, or even a car, in really REALLY cold temps is to tap the starter. If it doesn't start as normal then turn it off and walk away for 15-20 minutes and then come back and try again. Of course, this cold starting technique is for a battery that is not yet done but just has a hard time with cold temps. The idea in this case is that the initial brief jolt attempting to start sends a spark of heat through the battery and warms it up just barely enough to actually put out enough charge to start an engine. But if there is a bad cell in your new battery this won't really do anything for you overall.

While you are having the charging system tested have the battery also load tested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Experts, I need help.
My new battery seems to drain when my phone is connected by BT and I use the CTX speakers.
I went on a 300 mi ride on the 4 year old battery that came with the bike and all was fine. At least 10 stops and starts while using the BT function with the CTX speakers. No problems at all. A few short rides later, the battery would drain to a no start condition. I bought an eveready tender, connected the cables to the battery terminals then charged the battery and the battery came back to start the bike but same thing…..drained the battery after 10 minutes of riding with the BT connected to a no start state. I replaced the battery and all seemed fine for a few short 50 mile runs for a week and then it happened again, not enough juice to start the bike when using the BT and playing Pandora thru the bike speakers.
I got a jump start and rode home with out the BT connected and the bike starts just fine.
Has anyone experienced a battery drain while riding with the blue tooth connected and using the speakers?
Thanks for any input.
I had this same issue, your battery is done, save yourself some grief and DONT put an AGM battery back in, I install the NiCad battery and had no problems of drainage or charging, Best $30 I ever spent!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this same issue, your battery is done, save yourself some grief and DONT put an AGM battery back in, I install the NiCad battery and had no problems of drainage or charging, Best $30 I ever spent!
It’s a new AGM. It’s under warranty so I will probably upgrade as it did it again today after a 2.5 hour ride with no pattern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I literally have had no battery drain, or issue since installing the NiCad, my uncle has an ST1300 that always had battery drain with an AGM he installed a NiCad and his issue was resolved as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, thankfully it was not a battery drain ..... as they can be time consuming to chase. It was several cracked magnets in the starter. I wanted to go with an OEM but at nearly $500. I went with one from Ricks for $175. No problems since replacing the starter.

Going in another direction, does anyone know if Charlie is still shipping bag guards. We touched base by email and I haven't had a response from my last message to him.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Going in another direction, does anyone know if Charlie is still shipping bag guards. We touched base by email and I haven't had a response from my last message to him.
DON'T SEND CHARLIE ANY MONEY, YOU WON'T GET THE PRODUCT ORDERED! After multiple emails requesting the forward peg brackets (starting in June of this year), Charlie reached out to me via email at the end of August. He apologized for not getting back to me, citing his job kept him from making any parts for the CTX community. He said to send $90 plus $14 for USPS priority mail to his PayPal account, which I did. To date, I have not received the brackets. I've sent several emails asking Charlie when the brackets would be shipped. Never got a response. Finally, I sent him an email and letter asking him to refund my money to my PayPal account. Again no reply from Charlie. F#####g a#s h##e(n)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DON'T SEND CHARLIE ANY MONEY, YOU WON'T GET THE PRODUCT ORDERED! After multiple emails requesting the forward peg brackets (starting in June of this year), Charlie reached out to me via email at the end of August. He apologized for not getting back to me, citing his job kept him from making any parts for the CTX community. He said to send $90 plus $14 for USPS priority mail to his PayPal account, which I did. To date, I have not received the brackets. I've sent several emails asking Charlie when the brackets would be shipped. Never got a response. Finally, I sent him an email and letter asking him to refund my money to my PayPal account. Again no reply from Charlie. F#####g a#s h##e(n)
Thanks for the heads up. He hasn’t cashed my check he asked me to send but he’s not responding to emails.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,113 Posts
Battery: Four years ago I purchased a new OEM battery for my CTX on Amazon. After the installation nothing worked. I thought something was wrong with the bike.... well, the battery arrived dead--very disappointing. I ended up buying another battery from 'Batteries Plus Bulbs' the next day. Everything was good. Sometimes you just get a bad battery.

My suggestion is to get another AGM battery.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts