CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I came out to my CTX that I just road last Sunday for 200 miles and my battery is too weak to turn over the bike. It only has 550 miles on it, so there must be a problem. Has anyone seen this before?

I did have a USB plugged in with MP3's but I can't imagine that is the problem.

Tony

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW is there a pigtail for charging?

·
Registered
117 Posts
BTW is there a pigtail for charging?
No but the pigtail for a trickle charger (fused) is very cheap and my Honda dealer had em.

Easy to install... and you can buy a USB attachment and use it to power your phone or whatnot while on the road

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Tony,
A USB stick shouldn't make any difference. First 2 things I think of are bad battery or you have a short somewhere. That's assuming you don't have anything else attached and you or someone in your household didn't turn it on for a while listening to tunes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will drop by the dealer tomorrow and talk to them about replacing the battery and checking for a short.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Heavy metal music can cause a short.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The audio system on this bike is not like the one in a car, as in it cannot be turned on after the ignition is off.

My personal experience with the battery life of my CTX1300 when off is very good, on par with old motorcycles on which turning the ignition off meant everything was physically off.

Assuming you haven't added any accessories to the bike (like an alarm), look for a short or bad battery.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi guys, I came out to my CTX that I just road last Sunday for 200 miles and my battery is too weak to turn over the bike. It only has 550 miles on it, so there must be a problem. Has anyone seen this before?

I did have a USB plugged in with MP3's but I can't imagine that is the problem.

Tony
When I had my Goldwing I purchased an Odyssey AGM battery for it. Odyssey makes wonderful (and wonderfully expensive) batteries.

When I tried to buy one for my Stratoliner, they politely told me that with current motorcycle designs downsizing batteries (and the high temp mounting locations) the repetitive engine starting amperage and electronic suites trickle requirements severely drew down batteries, and unless they were operated non-stop at fully charging rpm for hours, there would be an overall decline in the battery charge/health.

A couple of factors may be at work in your situation (aside from the Occam's Razor principle that the battery is bad). The battery may have been installed for many months before you purchased the bike, and never properly brought up to full charge. Most small print recommendations for "new" batteries are to charge at low current values for at least 24 hours before placing the battery in service.

Typically when I don't ride the bike for a day or two, I put it on "life support" with my Battery Tender (or equivalent). And one of my first "mods" is to install a charging pigtail. In the case of my new CTX, I prevailed upon the dealership to install the pigtail as a condition of delivery (largely because if somebody was going to break one of those infamous panel tabs, I wanted it to be them....:D).

My thoughts would be for you to get your Tender charger hooked up, let the bike charge for a few days, and see whether your problems go away over the long term.

If not, then of course you have three possibilities: bad battery; insufficient charging current; excessive current drain while idle.

Even with the ignition in the "Off" position, the battery has to supply continuous power to the bike's widget section to keep the clock running and maintain the memories of your Trip Odometers, et. al.

That's why some sort of Battery Tender is pretty much an essential appliance with today's high tech bikes.

Best of luck with it.:smile:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Both of my CTX1300s sat for over two weeks in the garage this winter with no trickle charger. They started robustly with no extra effort when I finally got rid of the ice and snow.

My Piece of Crap Trophy (PoST) had to be on a trickle charger even when I was using it daily. I traded PoST for my second CTX1300. There is no reason to tolerate a bike that requires frequent charging (unless it's an electric bike).

One of my CTXs has a pigtail that was installed by the dealer. I tested it once with the trickle charger, but I've never needed it.

I'd start by having the dealer swap the battery. This is a new bike and it's not right. Make the dealer fix it.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went by the dealer today. They said they already installed a pigtail for the battery tender as part of prep. I will charge it over night and take it to them tomorrow for a diagnoses.

Thanks to all who replied! :smiley-party0005:

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts