CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm the use of a battery tender being used to keep the battery charged via the OEM 12V socket? Installing the socket soon and would prefer to get a tender that I could plug into the 12V. Reading the broken tab stories is discouraging.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
There is another thread asking this same question but don't have time now to look for it in the tech section. The 12v socket option is connected to other electrical circuits on the bike and is switched with the ignition. This socket will NOT be good to use for charging the battery without potential damage to those electronics. Best to add the pigtail directly on the battery for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
adding a battery tender

as i can see by the owners manual getting to the battery is hard work. does anyone who has got to the battery yet have any pictures they would share with us? i certainly would appreciate it. i want to put a wire on my ctx 1300 also i have on all the other bikes i have had. thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Getting to the battery is rather simple actually: Pop out the pins on the left side black plastic cover on top (not sure of the name the book calls it) and then carefully unsnap it from the red plastic and viola, there's the battery!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Echoing Reidon here... It's not too bad. I installed the pigtail, and I got a USB adapter for it so that I can charge my phone while I'm riding. For me, it completely eliminated the need for the factory 12v socket. Just be aware that the pigtail isn't attached to a switch, so you can't leave something plugged in and walk away. But hey, if you do, there's a convenient pigtail right there! Haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts