CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new blue/grey Deluxe yesterday at a great price. The drive home with plenty of hilly/windy detours took a few hours and my jaw is still aching from the smile this incredible ride put on my face. They say life begins at 55. I just turned 55 and the CTX is the first motorcycle I have owned. Yesterday was a great start to my new journey and today was even better now that I figured out you can not start the bike in gear with the kick stand down.......ride on ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh and as long as we're talking about kick stands, make sure to put yours down before setting down the bike. Or you'll be kicking your own ass for a while like I did! It's true what they say, the first one hurts the worst :/

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @LaoDon.
Referring to what JBone said just remember, there only two kinds of riders: Them that have dropped it and them that will.
I started riding in 1979, but had a 19 year break just after that until 2000 when I picked it up again.
I sometimes still find myself trying to start the bike with it in gear and side stand down, but I have figured out to check on that right away rather than keep trying wondering why it isn't starting. I have a few things I look at. Check the side stand, check the kill switch. That kill switch is another "gotcha" that will keep the bike from starting. I once hurt my pride with that one. Took my wife's 49cc scooter to the station to fill up the tank and a friend was there on his Nomad doing the same. That was bad enough, but when I went to start it after filling it wouldn't start. Thought "battery" so I used the available kick starter but that didn't work either. The station was only a mile from home so pushed it into my garage and started removing plastic and other parts looking for cause. Didn't find any until I "accidentally" bumped the kill switch back on and realized I had bumped it off at the station! Doh! it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome @LaoDon,
That handle sounds like Chinglish?
55? Ha, young pup. Yes sir, I know the smile of which you speak.
So I wear a full face helmet to preserve my image(wife says it's to cover my ugly face).Accessories ordered? Nice picture, thanks. Look forward to seeing more in other scenery. All scenery is nice with a CTX in them!!!!!
And just so you and everyone else here knows, I've not tried to start with it in gear and the side stand down or even dropped my bike one time.

:350x700px-LL-66dd6d
I has been multiple times :(

Reactions: JBone

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello LaoDon.

congratulations from a smiling flying dutchman.
And o yes I think everyone has moment they think: What?? Why won't that ...***... bike start??
To realize it's the kill switch or the gear/sidestand.
So much electronic is nice but also sometimes irritating.

Like my wife always says: keep the shining side up !

Reactions: JBone

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Could be worse.

• Engine quits at 70mph.
  • Pull in the clutch. Wave off your friend behind you.
  • Take a breath. 60mph.
  • Light goes on. Kill switch!
  • Flip it. Lights go on. 50mph.
  • Start it. Accelerate back to 70mph.
  • Spend the next 30 minutes thinking what to say at the next fuel stop. And how the h6ll you turned it off.

Feel better now?

·
Registered
86 Posts
LaoDon, that's super exciting to get your first bike at age 55. Hope that you have a blast....and on this motorcycle, I think it would be hard not to.

Ride safe and enjoy !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts