CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am having a problem with my CTX1300D and was wondering If anyone could send me in one or more directions as to where to start . The bike has been unridden for about a year but properly stored with Sta-bil and has 2500 miles. On Battery Tender.

This morning as I started the ride with a friend who also has a CTX1300 D, the bike was running fine. 10 minutes into the ride, the bike started to lose some power and run a bit erratically.

Symptoms:
Bogs down on take off and seems to have lost some acceleration.
Seems to hesitate around 3500-4000 RPM to get pass that point in high gear.
Slightly erratic at idle (not all the time).
Seems to run a bit V-Twinesque.
One pipe “seems” somewhat cooler than the other 3 (subjective appreciation).

I have included links to two YouTube videos: the good CTX (my friend’s) GOOD CTX

and the bad CTX (mine). BAD CTX

If you watch them, maybe you can hear the difference in the sound.

I already suctioned much of the gas and added fresh gas just in case. No change

Possibilities that occur to me:

Bad spark plug(s)
No spark to that cylinder- only running on 3 cylinders?
Bad coil?

I looked at the manual and for certain tests a voltage peak adaptor seems needed (I do not have one). Several other diagnostic ideas such as a bad battery, faulty side stand switch or neutral switch would seem to affect all cylinders not just one.

Besides checking all connections, I would be thankful for any ideas as to where to look given my paygrade (low) and almost as important what not attempt to do to avoid frying something. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Your first descriptions of bogging down and running rough like missing on one cylinder, sitting for a year...
I would look at possibly at clogged injector(s), fuel pickup screen in the tank may be dirty with old sticky gas.
Start with some good injector cleaner first, not the Walmart brand and the cheaper ones. Many of those don't really work.
Stabil can damage spark plugs. I used Stabil regularly on another bike because of the ethanol gas around here. I got two miles down the road and started missing. Five miles and the bike shut off. Wouldn't run at all. A friend did some internet searching and found Stabil can foul spark plugs. Put in new plugs and it fired right up.
And another odd but possible is the air filter is plugged up with a mouse nest. It happens to a bike that's been sitting in a garage all that time. Happened to me and someone else in the forum. Sounds a bit quirky, but it's possible.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your first descriptions of bogging down and running rough like missing on one cylinder, sitting for a year...
I would look at possibly at clogged injector(s), fuel pickup screen in the tank may be dirty with old sticky gas.
Start with some good injector cleaner first, not the Walmart brand and the cheaper ones. Many of those don't really work.
Stabil can damage spark plugs. I used Stabil regularly on another bike because of the ethanol gas around here. I got two miles down the road and started missing. Five miles and the bike shut off. Wouldn't run at all. A friend did some internet searching and found Stabil can foul spark plugs. Put in new plugs and it fired right up.
And another odd but possible is the air filter is plugged up with a mouse nest. It happens to a bike that's been sitting in a garage all that time. Happened to me and someone else in the forum. Sounds a bit quirky, but it's possible.
Thank you @Gregory Tubbs . I took out most of the old gas and came out very clean. I added fresh gas with Techron. Did not have much time to run it again, but no change. Will run it again when it stops pouring rain. I will get new plugs and install them.
As to the air filter would it be reasonable to say that it would affect all cylinders equally?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Thank you @Gregory Tubbs . I took out most of the old gas and came out very clean. I added fresh gas with Techron. Did not have much time to run it again, but no change. Will run it again when it stops pouring rain. I will get new plugs and install them.
As to the air filter would it be reasonable to say that it would affect all cylinders equally?
The air filter, yes, it would have a equal effect.
I'm leaning towards a sticking injector or restricted gas flow. The usual things that happen from sitting so long.
Accelerating or high revs and bogging down is typically a gas flow issue. If it had a fuel filter I'd change it. But it has a screen on the pickup tube in the tank. Also, the fuel pump can cause this.
Low voltage can be a problem, so put a meter on the power somewhere while it's running to make sure the voltage is up.
But I'd still start with the easy fix first, injector cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Plugs are also an easy fix. The easiest actually, other than juice in the tank. Just need a plug wrench and extension to get to them. No disassembly required, which we can seldom say.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
A lot of the same suggestions here as were given over on the ST-Owners forum where you also posted this question. I posted something over there on this issue for you.
BTW- No worries about posting this in both forums. More brains to give assistance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Glen Chapman and the rest of you, thank you all for your comments. As I had mentioned in my first post when the problem appeared one of the exhaust pipes seemed colder than the other three. Once in the garage and the bike cold, I started the bike again and confirmed that one pipe was warming very slowly compared to the other three. One cylinder was not firing. I replaced the spark plug as the first easiest step to take. That solved the problem and the bike is running fine now.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts