CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

As Im shopping for a CTX, I found a black Deluxe with Honda Trunk and a couple extra farkles for a good price of $5,900. Only area of concern is its got 30,000 miles.

I intend to ask about typical items such as Brake fluid, oil change, air filter but I have a couple of questions.

1) Valve inspections due at 16K?
2) Does this V4 have a timing chain or belt? Is there any service required of either or?

Any other worries about a bike with this mileage?

Craig

·
Registered
627 Posts
Craig - cams are chain-driven. Don’t recall anyone here having any valve adjustment issues - at least nowhere near only 16K miles. Clutch and brake fluid does need to be flushed & bled every 2 years to keep moisture out. Air filter - changed mine at 19K, looked so good I am going 24K to next change. My last tire change, I had new wheel bearings & seals installed front & rear, as well as the drive cushions between the wheel and the drive on the rear. All removed parts looked 100% serviceable, no problems. Just did that for peace of mind, as the bike had about 26.5K miles on it then and I was planning some extended trips. I’ve got 35.9K on it now, is gonna go into the shop for a new rear tire, and gonna get a flush on clutch/brakes done then, as well as lubing throttle cables (IF it can be done w/o dismantling a bunch of Tupperware!). My bike runs as good (or better) now as it did when I bought it w/ 8,800 miles 3 years ago.

Assuming nothing glaringly wrong mechanically or cosmetically, sounds like a heck of a good deal on a Deluxe.!

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
As has been pointed out in many posts in this forum, and on the ST-Owners forum, this bike and this engine are relatively bullet proof. The same engine and transmission and several other parts are taken right off the ST1300 which has been on the road since 2002. 30,000 miles is barely broken in for this bike. There are many examples of ST1300s that are well over 150,000 miles and some even past 300,000 miles. I personally know of at least one rider who has 300,000+ miles on his ST and several riders I camp with who have well over 100,000 miles on theirs. There are a few members on this forum who have close to or possibly over 100,000 miles on their CTX. A bike you found with only 30K miles is definitely not a problem due to miles. Obviously there is not a bike ever made in the world that cannot have some very rare issue right off the lot so it is appropriate to do a thorough check out of any bike you intend to buy.

Many I also know personally with the ST and also with the CTX have checked valves at 16K and found nothing needing adjusting. I know of many ST owners who checked every so often and didn't need to do any adjustments to shims until over 90K miles. Many owners therefor don't even bother checking until at least 60K miles.

This bike has a timing chain and there is really no essential service needed for it other than inspecting during a valve check.

After the initial break in oil/filter change I always planned my oil changes at about every 8000 miles. Similar to my former ST1100 and other bikes owned as well as my current Burgman 650 (7000 miles).
I swapped out the air filter once about half way toward the 49K miles I put on mine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So another question. If the bike I buy doesnt have the Honda trunk and I want to add it, the OEM stuff (Carrier, base and trunk itself) is like $645?

Craig

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys,

As Im shopping for a CTX, I found a black Deluxe with Honda Trunk and a couple extra farkles for a good price of $5,900. Only area of concern is its got 30,000 miles.

I intend to ask about typical items such as Brake fluid, oil change, air filter but I have a couple of questions.

2) Does this V4 have a timing chain or belt? Is there any service required of either or?

Craig
Craig,

My 2014 black Standard has 12,000 on the clock, only needs new rear tire (2nd Excedra). Has Menosabe guards, trunk rack. Always garaged, never dropped. The only logistic is I have a few-K still on the principal. I will sell to you for $5200. NADA value $6186-$8000+, KBB; $4875 trade / $7060 retail.
I have used it as a commuter 95% of those miles. I have never been bothered, plagued or concerned by all the "negs" discussed on this forum, but would be reluctant to sell to someone who does not understand the bike.

Bill A.
Colorado

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guys,

Craig
I don't now where you are located but I am thinking of selling my Red CTX1300 Deluxe with 16K on it.
I am located north of Atlanta, GA. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys,

Craig
I have a blue CTX with only 830 miles on it for $7,900. It has a center stand, taller factory windshield, back rest, and trunk. Location is Fort Wayne, IN. text me at 260-409-7634. Great bike, But I am looking to downsize to a smaller lighter bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts