CTX 1300 Forum banner

Blue Ridge Parkway Run

6K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  HansenCTX 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am thinking about another Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) run. I have done the entire road (split into three sections), but I am thinking about doing the southern half in one trip this July (Cherokee NC to Meadows of Dan VA and back). The route would include Mile Marker 469 to 177: 292 miles. On flat straight roads that is not much, but on the BRP at 35 - 45 mph that can take some time. One way is 458 miles, from start to finish this will be 916 miles.

Here is what I am thinking:

Day 1: Leave Anderson SC for Cherokee NC. I would ride west into GA, then through North GA into Western NC. Then to Cherokee (2.5 hours without stopping). After lunch, ride to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground (BRMC) off HWY 276 (Mile Marker 412). Total ride time for day one approx. 4.5 hours. Since I like to stop every hour for a few minutes, this may take 5 hours. With a lunch stop this could be 5.5 hours.

Day 2: Leave BRMC after breakfast (9am) and ride to High Country Motorcycle Camp just off HWY 421 (Mile Marker 226). Lunch in the middle, maybe in Little Switzerland at the Little Switzerland Inn. Total ride time is approx. 4 hours, but since I will stop every hour and have lunch this could be a 5-6 hour day.

Day 3: Leave High County Motorcycle Camp after breakfast and ride to Willville Motorcycle Campground in Meadows of Dan VA (Mile Marker 177). This is approx. 3 hours, but may take me longer as I will want to eat lunch on the way and take a few breaks to enjoy the view. I think it could be 4 - 5 hours.

Day 4, 5, 6, and 7 ???: I could easily make day 4 the ride home on I77 and I85 (4 hours) or I could take three days to go back down the way I came up, staying in the same locations and enjoying the ride. There would be one day of non-riding in this week-long trip. Most likely day 5 or 6.

I have to go to the BSA summer camp in GA between June 28th and July 3rd. Afterwards my son will visit the grandparents in Cary NC for an extended stay in July soon after we return. I also have a routine doctors apt. on July 8th. So, I think if I do this it will be between July 9th and July 15th.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Chris (HansenCTX)

See less See more
#7 ·
Sounds like a great ride. I had a trip planned this week based out of BRMC but it got canceled. I had planned BRP south of 276, 441, Little River Rd, Foothills Parkway, and Tail of the Dragon. I may be able to go up July 8, ride my route on Thursday, and continue north up BRP with you.

#12 ·
Hey man! Just do a Google search to see if there are any hotels around. I know that each of these camp grounds have cabins. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground even has two cabins that have their own bathrooms. You can call each camp and see if they have any available.

#16 ·
i came really close to join this ride until my wife literally begged me not to go due to the exploding Covid 19 numbers. Even so i'm convinced there would be no higher risk involved on this motorcycle tour than being at home/work, i promised her not to go. Happy wife-happy life, but still ... . Besides this trip ,this **** Virus has also cancelled a 2 week family visit in Germany. On the plus side however- i had in April & May some of the best motorcycle rides of my live due to NC lock down and therefore NO traffic ( and no Cops) on the BRP and surrounding roads. Yes i know, i was not supposed to be there as well but i just couldn't resist this once in a lifetime opportunity.
i wish you guys a fun and safe trip and if i play it right(psssst), i may still show up in the morning of the 10th and join the ride til little Switzerland

Surf the Curves, Jorg

#17 ·
I've been taking longer rides around my house since covid has caused so much trouble. Missed my yearly trek to the NC mountains in the Spring which really ticked me off... Anyway, I just had to say how jealous I am of you and several others who live so close to this riding nirvana area! Wishing you all the best and really looking forward to Suches for now....

Reactions: Stlburd2
#19 ·
Hello all,

My wife's grandmother passed away and the family will hold a family-only service this Friday, June 10th. My wife, son, and I will leave Anderson for Raleigh NC on Wednesday (June 8th) afternoon and will return the following Saturday (June 11th). With that said, I will have to shift the dates over for my BRP run. Now I am thinking it might be best for me to do the ride starting on Monday, June 13th.

Sincerely,
Chris

#23 ·
Had to change back to my original dates. Wife reminded me that we have family coming on Sunday for the week from Arkansas. Going to BRMC on Wed. Riding BRP south and Foothills Parkway on Thursday. BRP north on Friday to Blowing Rock and home on 321S. I'll have to catch you on another ride.

#24 ·
I had a great trip down the BRP last week. Fresh asphalt on BRP from Asheville to Craggy Garden tunnel and on 441 at Cherokee if you want to take a little detour. Section north from Craggy Gardens hasn't been worked on. The Rough Road next 18 miles sign is still up. There was a lot of pothole maneuvers on that section. Rest of BRP that I rode was in decent shape. Traffic wasn't too bad. Wouldn't want to be there on the weekend. Traffic was bad on the TN side of 441 near Gatlinburg even last Thursday. Hope your ride goes good next week.

#25 ·
Hey man! Thanks for the updates on the roads. I agree, the crowd on the BRP on weekends is something to consider. I am used to driving the stretch between 251 (Rosman NC) and 191 (Asheville NC) on Saturdays.

We are home now and I am hopeful all is set for me to due the extended ride I had planned. If all goes well, kickstand up tomorrow at 9am!

Hope to see ya on the road sometime soon.

Peace,
Chris

#26 ·
Okay!

Wife has to work all week. My son is staying with the grandparents for the week. I have the week off! I packed the bike and I am ready to do the ride. I will leave Anderson SC tomorrow morning. I plan to follow the route I posted.

Time to live on the road for the next week!

Peace,
Chris

#28 ·
Update:

I did the ride! I had a good time. I moto-vloged most of the trip on my motorcycle's Facebook page using Facebook Live (https://www.facebook.com/HappyMotoCamping). I took many more pictures and videos on my phone that did not make it to the motorcycle's Facebook page. I just uploaded all of those to my Dropbox and hope to make a video. For now if you would like to see what I posted via Facebook live, you are more than welcome to visit the page and see all the fun that was had!

Peace,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.