CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to improve the audio by running music from my thumb drive hooked up to the bike and then to speakers in my helmet. I'm leaning toward the Scala rider Q3. Has anyone had any experience with that one? Is the audio good? Does it pair with the Bluetooth on the CTX? Any recommendations appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Don't know the Q3. I have the Q2 and it's an older standard so not compatible. Eventually I'll be replacing it with a Sena smh5fm (I like sometimes listening to radio) and it is compatible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought the Sena 20S and I just finished pairing it to my CTX, phone, and Tom Tom. I'm looking forward to listening to FM stations while riding!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Finally was able to update the firmware in my Sena SMH5-FM. I tried at home but the update program doesn't work in Linux (my home laptop) nor does it work in a virtual machine of Windows 8 (my home vm). I've read of issues with using it with a virtual machine as well as native Windows 8 so took it to work on my Windows 7 laptop and updated just fine. Will have to watch that though since our security office doesn't like us to use non-work programs on our systems there. Will also have to work on getting it to work at home for the future. Anyway, was very nice to have coming home. BT linked up with phone and bike just fine and I had tunes in my headset. Was also nice having FM radio for part of the trip (was trying different functions) and so easy to change the volume by simply turning the jog wheel. Plenty loud for with or without earplugs (tried both ways). Unlike my Scala Q2 where there are up/down buttons that are hard to push, or find for that matter. Very easy to change radio stations too, for the same reason (push and turn jog wheel rather than hold volume buttons on the Q2). And one more thing, there are voice prompts that tell me what radio station I'm on! just nice and easy to use. I noticed the music volume from the bike did sub-mute same as for the speakers when stopping... and a slash showed over the headset symbol when it did.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm using a Sena 20S and have been quite satisfied. Easy to pair with the CTX and phone. I've been using thumb drive for music. Don't expect much bass from the headset though. Earbuds would probably get you some serious bass, which I would like but haven't tried as yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@bob question, does the SMH5 play on both the bike speakers and the helmet speakers at the same time? I'd like to play music with USB flash drive and have it on the speakers, headset, and communicate with the wife as well. Is that possible? I'd be purchasing the dual set. Also, what is battery life like? And do we just speak and we'll hear each other? Obviously I'm not experienced with these sets at all lol I appreciate your opinion and the opinion of anyone else who has something to share. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@JBone the SMH-10 will do that. I have match Bell Mag 9 Sena helmets with the SMH-10 units. Comma are crystal clear and music is loud enough. Will play in both helmets. Can't speak to weather it will play to speakers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@JBone and @jggassert, none of the BT helmet headsets will send sound to the bike speakers. The bike BT connection between helmet headset and the bike is one way... from bike TO helmet only.

On the bike you have a choice of either the bike speakers OR the helmet headset, but not both. And that is only from the music device you connect to the bike. That connection is also only one way... from the music device TO the bike. And this is the same whether the music device is connected using BT or the USB.

So the connections go like this: From the music device to the bike (BT or USB), from the bike to the speakers OR helmet headset.

That said, I don't know if the smh5fm2 that I have will share FM radio or other inputs to other Sena BT headsets. I just haven't really looked into that feature. I did hear/read that some of the Sena units will do that, just don't know if mine will. I like mine just fine. I did find that the battery doesn't last quite as long as the smh10 or smh20, by an hour or two. I get just over 6 hours of continuous radio/music/communication with other riders (constant talking!) with my smh5. All the Sena units can be plugged in and recharged while using so that's not a really big issue. I just need to plug it in after 6 hours if I'm riding that long in a day. Otherwise, and usually, when camping away from home I plug my Sena into my big battery bank recharger at the same time with my phone to get a full charge for the next go. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody looking for motorcycle electronics, thumbs-up to these guys:
Sierra Electronics

I decided I wanted to buy a new Shoei Neotec helmet, with a Sena SMH10 bluetooth system. Called Sierra Electronics, because I was a little concerned about the installation of the SMH10 on a modular helmet-- I have the SMH10 installed on a couple of open face helmets, but was afraid the boom mics on those units wouldn't work well with the modular design. Turns out, if you buy the helmet and bluetooth unit from Sierra, they do the installation for you, and they install a different boom mic than what I have on hand.

After talking to him and mulling it over, I ordered the Neotech/SMH10 package online-- and less than three hours later, had a Fedex notice that it had shipped. Be a few more days before it arrives, so I can't comment on the helmet itself yet, but the service from Sierra was awesome. Price was good, too-- Revzilla sells these helmets for $584, and the SMH10 for $156, a total of $740; Sierra's price for the package, installed, was $712.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I had a modular helmet with a BT device (Scala Q2 early model) with boom mic before my current setup. No issues with it... other than that it was an older BT unit that was not compatible with the CTX1300 system.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Finally was able to update the firmware in my Sena SMH5-FM. I tried at home but the update program doesn't work in Linux (my home laptop) nor does it work in a virtual machine of Windows 8 (my home vm). I've read of issues with using it with a virtual machine as well as native Windows 8 so took it to work on my Windows 7 laptop and updated just fine. Will have to watch that though since our security office doesn't like us to use non-work programs on our systems there. Will also have to work on getting it to work at home for the future. Anyway, was very nice to have coming home. BT linked up with phone and bike just fine and I had tunes in my headset. Was also nice having FM radio for part of the trip (was trying different functions) and so easy to change the volume by simply turning the jog wheel. Plenty loud for with or without earplugs (tried both ways). Unlike my Scala Q2 where there are up/down buttons that are hard to push, or find for that matter. Very easy to change radio stations too, for the same reason (push and turn jog wheel rather than hold volume buttons on the Q2). And one more thing, there are voice prompts that tell me what radio station I'm on! just nice and easy to use. I noticed the music volume from the bike did sub-mute same as for the speakers when stopping... and a slash showed over the headset symbol when it did.

@bob I just got a SMH5-FM and my country pea brain can't get it to pair to my CTX1300, any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@bob I just got a SMH5-FM and my country pea brain can't get it to pair to my CTX1300, any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Just to be sure...
After the Sena is turned on, and the bike is on, press and hold the jog wheel until the light next to it rapidly flashes red. Then press and hold the Mode and UP volume on the bike until you see the indication on the dash display that it's paired and hear the tone in the helmet. Makes a big difference holding UP or DOWN volume when pairing. Up is for helmet headset and DOWN is for BT music device like iPod or smartphone.

I did this while holding the helmet rather than wearing it but so I could also still hear the headset speakers.
You don't need the engine running, putting it on Acc should be fine.

After it is paired you use the Mode button to toggle through the options shown in the upper right of the LED dash display for speaker or BT output together with USB or BT input. There is a small arrow symbol showing direction (from input type to output type). in the very right upper corner of the LED display, with audio on, will show an arrowhead pointing to the right, then the input type (BT or USB), then the output type (speakers or headset). The symbols to the left of the arrowhead (more in the top center) are what the bike recognizes is connected for USB or BT devices (input then output). So you can see what the bike sees is there in the top center, but you see where the bike is getting input and sending output in the top right.

Make sure you have something playing through the bike BT or USB input to make it easier to hear when it's set right. Verify by setting your music to play through the bike speakers and then use the mode button to change it to the Sena headset.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense and doesn't jumble things up for you. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d :rolleyes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. I'll add to this thread some info about my Scala Q3. First some down points. It does not stay paired with the bike when you turn off the bike. Therefore, you have to repair every time you shut down. Kind of a pain. And sometimes it is finicky about actually pairing with the bike but eventually it always does it. My partner bought one also and we eventually figured out how to use the music share function. I have all my music ripped to a thumb drive and that is plugged into the bike USB. First I pair my Q3 with the bike and then essentially pair (share) the stream with her Q3. Kind of neat. And we eventually learned how cut into the music using click to link so we can interrupt the music and talk and then go back to music. This took a lot of experimenting but eventually got it. The sound quality is superb.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well after numerous attemps of trying to pair my Sena SMH5-FM to my motor audio I was not able to. I know the Sena is working due to I was just able to pair my ipod and my phone after the no go with my stereo. Very disappointing but ow well.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I only had that issue with my old Scala Q2 unit due to it being an old BT version that is not compatible. My Sena SMH5fm2 unit connected fine first time and always reconnects when turned on and the bike is on. Be sure to install any Sena firmware updates to make sure that isn't the problem but otherwise... :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I only had that issue with my old Scala Q2 unit due to it being an old BT version that is not compatible. My Sena SMH5fm2 unit connected fine first time and always reconnects when turned on and the bike is on. Be sure to install any Sena firmware updates to make sure that isn't the problem but otherwise... :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
I did that as soon as I took it out of the box.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just to be sure...
After the Sena is turned on, and the bike is on, press and hold the jog wheel until the light next to it rapidly flashes red. Then press and hold the Mode and UP volume on the bike until you see the indication on the dash display that it's paired and hear the tone in the helmet. Makes a big difference holding UP or DOWN volume when pairing. Up is for helmet headset and DOWN is for BT music device like iPod or smartphone.

I did this while holding the helmet rather than wearing it but so I could also still hear the headset speakers.
You don't need the engine running, putting it on Acc should be fine.

After it is paired you use the Mode button to toggle through the options shown in the upper right of the LED dash display for speaker or BT output together with USB or BT input. There is a small arrow symbol showing direction (from input type to output type). in the very right upper corner of the LED display, with audio on, will show an arrowhead pointing to the right, then the input type (BT or USB), then the output type (speakers or headset). The symbols to the left of the arrowhead (more in the top center) are what the bike recognizes is connected for USB or BT devices (input then output). So you can see what the bike sees is there in the top center, but you see where the bike is getting input and sending output in the top right.

Make sure you have something playing through the bike BT or USB input to make it easier to hear when it's set right. Verify by setting your music to play through the bike speakers and then use the mode button to change it to the Sena headset.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense and doesn't jumble things up for you. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d :rolleyes:

@bob, being really upset, determined and refusing to give up. I found a page in the manual about resetting the bluetooth on the bike. I did that and tried the pairing and FINALLY my headset is paired with my bike.:smileygarden_de_ban

1 - 20 of 20 Posts