CTX 1300 Forum banner

bluetooth hookup

11K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  wyrmsmeat 
#1 ·
Hey boys and girls, When you get one of these new bikes "DE" models and hook up your BT helmet to it please tell me how the heck you did it?

I have had 3 different phones hooked up to the bike/helmet and cannot get the dang thing to pair with my helmet (or any of my friends BT helmets either. )

My 5S I-phone took two seconds, (so did all the rest of them). Brands were insignificant.

Rich

#4 ·
I did try this when I first got the bike. I connected the bike to my iPhone, then to my Sena helmet headset. I did like the ability to control the volume and skip tracks using the controls on the bike (I can do the same things on the Sena control module but it's a little more awkward). I also liked seeing the track name on the center display. But I realized that this method did not allow me to use the phone function if I needed to--I think it just treats the phone as a music player. I only rarely make phone calls from the bike (and only when stopped) but I sometimes need to answer calls when riding. To do that I would need to unpair the phone from the bike and reconnect it (wirelessly) to the helmet. It's simpler to leave the bike out of it and just have the phone talk right to the helmet.

I also wonder if going through the bike would pass through the turn-by-turn directions from the Map (or Google Map) app in the phone into the headset, so I can get spoken directions. I need to try that, I guess.

I thought I might be using the built-in speakers in the bike but playing loud music while riding kind of makes me feel like a jerk. I used to do it all the time on the Gold Wing, but I was a lot younger and not so aware of people's annoyance at bikers who do that. I did load up a flash drive with some music and tried playing that through the speakers; it works fine. I still might use that sometimes.

Interesting that all of the gosh-wow features of the Deluxe model (Bluetooth, auto-cancel turn signals, speakers) are not as useful as I thought they would be. I think the ABS and traction control, though not as visible or "sexy", might be the only features I'll really end up using.

Reactions: bob
#5 ·
... I did load up a flash drive with some music and tried playing that through the speakers; it works fine. I still might use that sometimes.

Interesting that all of the gosh-wow features of the Deluxe model (Bluetooth, auto-cancel turn signals, speakers) are not as useful as I thought they would be. I think the ABS and traction control, though not as visible or "sexy", might be the only features I'll really end up using.
That's how I am thinking about the value of the Deluxe model.

You might try using the flash drive connected to the bike to play music through the BT connection to your Sena headset. That's how I would want to do it. Especially since I don't have a smartphone that does all those "extra" things like playing music and providing GPS directions. I have separate devices for those. My mp3 player will connect to the USB and I think will play through that connection as if it were a flash drive. At least it just shows up as a flash drive when connected to my computer. I do like that feature of the bike but it's not a "must have" thing.

#6 ·
Hi folks. I cannot get my iPhone to pair with the Bluetooth. I press mode and volume and hear the beeping, but the CTX bluetooth never shows up on my phone. I tried doing the audio reset by holding mode for 10 seconds, but it still the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks, David

#7 ·
Which volume are you holding while attempting to connect? It matters - Up or Down?
One way is to connect the device (iPhone) and the other way is to connect the audio output (headset). Owners manual is a little bit confusing with terminology for this, but it helps to read what the manual calls or labels what in the initial description of the system. I don't have the manual with me now or I'd plug in the terms they use.

Reactions: donutninja
#8 ·
Thaks Bob! If you lived closer I would by you a drink. I am at work and ran out to my bike to try this and it worked! It had been driving me crazy. I was pressing up on the volume and to connect with the phone you need to press down.

Now I can drive everyone crazy in traffic with my odd music!

#9 ·
Don't forget to get into settings and turn on the auto mute... to save your skin when stopped alongside some ******* who doesn't like your music and keeps a loaded gun in the rear window gun rack! :eek: :D

#11 ·
For those. I-Phone experts

If you connect the I-phone USB cable to the CTX's USB then to the I-Phone, will the I-Phone charge?

Rav

#12 ·
iPhone charging

If you connect the I-phone USB cable to the CTX's USB then to the I-Phone, will the I-Phone charge?

Rav
Rav,
Yes, a standard lighting cable attached to the USB cable will charge the iPhone. I use Pandora, so I only use the BT connection for tunes. I've also tried to close the right fairing pocket over a lightning cable. It works OK...enough to stash the phone in a pocket or on a handlebar mount. (applies to the standard iPhone lightning cable)

Speaker-wise: 60/70/80s sounds better than 90s and up. Ozzy is the exception. I've also had the horror of toddler radio still enabled from cage-driving with the kids. I had to use the mute and pull over :)

#13 ·
Thanks wymsmeat for the info.
I don't listen to instrumental / vocal music while riding. I enjoy the symphony of engine, wind and tires while I ride. But I do want to have the phone at the ready. Family is number one!

I plan on keeping the battery up on the I-Phone with the connection. I use BT to connect the phone to my Scala rider head set. I can get calls and turn by turn directions this way.

Keep the rubber side down! :)

Rav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.