CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie shopper question. Doing my fly and drive that's going to be 1200+ miles when I get through playing in NC and make it back home.

Anyone use a Cheap Bluetooth headset connected to phone at the same time phone is connected to bike? Grabbing one of Amazon to have as an option. My galaxy Phone will do dual Bluetooth at same time.

I was reading where helmet and phone will connect to bike. Trying to figure out best way to have it setup for phone ring and music at different speeds.

First let me say not a huge blast music while driving guy, or answer phone while driving. There just times when you need to be available to stop and do a call. Also times some music is a way to relax at slower speeds in light traffic conditions.

Just kind of curious, what you guys find works best

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
The bike connects to any device as a music device (like a mp3 player for example) that has A2DP. That's the control spec for controlling music over BT that enables the track and title info to display on the dash and enables you to select track and mute and other controls on the music device. Some phones allow that kind of connection over BT. Don't know if you can connect just any phone to both the bike and the headset. It depends if the phone has the capability both a phone connection through BT and a intercom/music device type communication. Most phones I know of have only the phone type connections. Sounds like your Galaxy phone might do it.

I used a SD card in a mini USB reader plugged into the USB cord of the right storage box for all my music and the bike was BT connected to my Sena headset. I also had my phone connected directly to my Sena headset for those calls as you mentioned. I could have used a BT mp3 player BT connected to the bike instead of the USB.

Review or look up how to connect to the bike BT. There are actually 2 BT radios on the bike. One connects "UP" to the helmet headset and the other connects "DOWN" to the music device. Using Mode and "UP" volume together or Mode and "DOWN" volume together will determine which connection the bike is attempting to pair.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I believe that the bike can be connected to only a single device via Bluetooth, and changing what device is connected erases or forgets the first device. You can also connect a USB player or thumb drive however you have to choose between USB and BT devices, at least when it comes to listening to music. I usually use a 32GB thumbdrive for music, unless I want to stream iheartradio or similar from my phone, depending upon 4G or 5G signal strength.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Forgot to add that I used to have a helmet mic/speakers bluetooth unit and I never figured out how to use both on the CTX- though that does not mean it is not possible :)

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
There is ONE BT input to the bike and ONE BT output. So as George stated you can only connect one BT input at a time. So if your phone allows music on one BT connection to the bike and phone calls BT connected to your headset then that is what might work. Otherwise you have to choose as most have done to connect music input from the phone OR phone calls from the phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Bluetooth helmet set from Amazon came in and let me say I know some fantastic things are available however I was just interested in a simple personal item for my fly and buy. The Blueear name brand HM-1 had a few decent reviews and at around $25 fit the bill. Shipping helmet to the bike so only could do some basic testing. It pairs easily to phone and has plenty of volume to get my attention, auto answered call after a number of rings and sound quality good ( we will see under speed).

I tested the dual pairing function of my phone with a Bluetooth speaker with mic I bought probably 5 years ago so tech should be close to the bike. My phone gave me option of audio and or phone for both devices so should be able to set to have audio from bike and phone and or audio to the helmet.

Will try to follow up with real world test. Thanks for the comments

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I've been using a Sena 10 headset and recently started using free Pandora for music thru the iPhone. Ya just get a 20-30 second commercial every two songs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have been using Pandora for years, commercials don't bother me as I am pre- cassette tape. We were glad if one speaker in the dash worked without cracking and the radio would pick up a station. AM radio was the bomb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me sum up for you how it worked out.
I have a Samsung Galaxy phone not sure what any other phone can do but I am sure it's a basic technology thing.

Phone allows connecting to multiple bluetooth devices and then selecting if 1. Audio (speaker) 2. Answer calls or both

I purchased inexpensive Bluetooth helmet device that has controls on mouth piece and two wired ear muff speakers. It has an auto answer feature. Seems to have pretty good standby time, only did short call. Charged before leaving on 3 day trip used only some as leveraged bike speakers primarily as I didn't want to spend too much time on a short trip.

From phone I connected to bike as audio only.
I contacted to headset as answer calls.
Pandora or similar will play on bike and incoming call rings helmet.

Other option is have phone connected to helmet only and thumb drive playing music. I had Google maps playing on phone holder through bikes speakers and it would
Give me voice prompts to helmet.

Phone connected to bike and selected as active device would give directions through bikes speakers. Play music with interrupted Google maps voice.

Basically you can sum it up as it all works just pick your flavor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts