CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a trip to Denver where I rented a 2013 BMW 1200 RT for two days. The vendor was Colorado Tourbike rentals (in Aurora) and I would recommend him (Bill) as he has a nice selection of well-maintained BMW's, Triumph's and even a Honda ST. The RT was one of the bikes that lost the contest when I bought my CTX 1300; I wanted a rerun to see if my decision was good now that I have about 2500 miles on the CTX. I have this love/hate relationship with BMW's and the relationship is unchanged as a result of the rental. The RT is a relatively light sport touring motorcycle and I felt it immediately when I sat on the bike for the first time. At slow speeds and low rpm's there was a lot of shaking and the drive shaft did a lot of rattling. The seat was comfortable as long as I was moving. When I stopped and planted my feet the edge of the seat dug into my inner thighs. (Come on BMW...such an easy fix). Heading north on I-25 toward Fort Collins I started to get that familiar pain in the wrists from the forward lean. Although the RT bends your legs quite a bit, I didn't experience much leg pain but it wasn't comfortable. I will say that BMW has finally learned how to build a smooth shifting transmission. The electric windshield gave good body protection but it put somewhat rough air right on my helmet even when maxed out on height. Surprisingly, the rear shock (set on normal) gave good jolts when I hit big potholes...almost like the CTX but not as bad. When I cranked the starter it shook and sounded like an old lawnmower. Ok. Enough negativity. The hard cases were excellent and the RT was amazingly stable on some very gnarly, grooved pavement. It wanted to go at speeds exceeding the speed limit and it needed to be launched like a dirt bike. Verdict? The RT needs someone other than me. Tomorrow I will return to my CTX 1300 and ride slowly, smoothly and comfortably down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can honestly say that I was going to purchase this same BMW 1200rt. The two things that stopped me were the price difference between it and the ctx and the more expensive overall costs that come with having a BMW bike,especially the high maintenance costs that come with owning the BMW. Otherwise I thought it was a great bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts