CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase the Brake Away for my CTX. P/N 7CP02. It will not fit on the bar next to the switch housing. There is not enough room between where the bar steps up to 1" for the brake master cylnder and the switch housing. The switch housing is pinned to the bars so that cannot be moved. Has anyone else actually installed one of these on their bikes? Ready to return to Amazon.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I bought one but I had the dealership put it on. They said they had to modify it to make it work, not sure exactly what they did. I'm bringing it back for some more adjustments this weekend because it locks until you go over a bunch of bumps then it shakes itself loose so they have to adjust it. I'd recommend letting them do it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I tried to mount it on my Kuryakyn ISO grips. The 7/8" model was not big enough to fit over the grips. The 1" might have gone over, but then would not fit on the bar. Didn't want to mess with it any more, so I returned it and bought the cheaper Kury throttle lock, which I have not yet mounted. I used this cheaper version on my prior ride. It lasted about one year, then I had to install a new one.

I will wait to mount mine until I see Barrettmusicman1's pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought one but I had the dealership put it on. They said they had to modify it to make it work, not sure exactly what they did. I'm bringing it back for some more adjustments this weekend because it locks until you go over a bunch of bumps then it shakes itself loose so they have to adjust it. I'd recommend letting them do it.
I'm a mechanic by trade so installing the lock is a simple task. The fact remains the same that there should be no modifications made to a $200 throttle lock. The only thing I can think to do is elongate the pin hole in the bar to move the throttle over, or get the arm that mounts on a 1" bar. If the 1" arm was included it could be mounted on the part of the bar that the brake master cylinder mounts to. I would be interested to see the photos of your install.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Going by the problems you guys say you're having and taking a closer look at it it looks like they had to grind an angle on the piece that connects to the bar to get it to fit next to the start switch...photos not uploading from iPhone, will post using laptop later

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need to upload the photos. I just got off the phone with BrakeAway and they said the throttle lock will NOT fit the 1300, only the 700. They have had several people call asking the same question. The kit is going back to Amazon and they are going to correct the website thats says the kit fits both bikes.

Its a little scary that the dealer modified the kit to fit your bike with all of the liability that comes along with doing such a thing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the same problem, but it was easy to fix by filing a bit of an angle on the proper side of the ring with a round rattail file. You don't have to bevel it very much to make it work. Once it is installed it is worth twice the price if you ask me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts