CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see how to adjust the brake light switch for the foot pedal (I guess rear brake isn't appropriate on this bike). As far as I can tell there's no adjustment for the front brake switch. Am I missing something? I know at least on my bike, I can engage the front brake lightly but not insignificantly without the switch turning on. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone managed to make a adjustment on the front brake light switch? I doubt that it matters, but mine's a deluxe. I doubt it uses a different master, but just to put that out there.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The Honda service manual says "The front brake light switch does not require adjustment" , in any case both brakes should be used at the same time to achieve the best possible braking so you may need to operate the pedal brake to ensure the brake light is activated. Bear in mind the CTX1300 uses a Combined Braking System so even when one uses only the front or the back lever, both brakes are actually activated.

Combined Braking System (CBS) - Experience Powersports - Honda Powersports

Reactions: Silverpugj

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Honda service manual says "The front brake light switch does not require adjustment" , in any case both brakes should be used at the same time to achieve the best possible braking so you may need to operate the pedal brake to ensure the brake light is activated. Bear in mind the CTX1300 uses a Combined Braking System so even when one uses only the front or the back lever, both brakes are actually activated.

Combined Braking System (CBS) - Experience Powersports - Honda Powersports
Not true, the rear applies some to front, the front is only the front.

·
Registered
822 Posts
What rckrzy↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑said! Back is linked to Front, Front is independent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's kind of crap, don't you think? I mean as far as design is concerned. Pretty shabby to design it such that you can apply break without the light coming on. I'll just have to see what I can do. Maybe I can shorten the plunger on the switch. We shall see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well that's kind of crap, don't you think? I mean as far as design is concerned. Pretty shabby to design it such that you can apply break without the light coming on. I'll just have to see what I can do. Maybe I can shorten the plunger on the switch. We shall see.
Still under warranty ? My front comes on with hardly any pressure, I had to adjust my rear switch as it took alot of pressure to activate light, easy fix. I also adjusted the pedal up a bit, my short legs needed it. As I trail brake all the time.
Speaking of that, my rear wheel needs brake dust cleaned out all the time. Are these pads that dirty or am I just using alot of rear brake ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Both wheels collect brake dust quickly ! Constant chore to keep wheels looking clean. Just my cents.
I found on my MINI coopers it was the wheels that collect dust, changed to an aftermarket and never saw dust again, guess it's how the air flows or don't around the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I tested my front and rear brake controls today. Found that the front lever takes a bit of pressure before the light goes on. I can hear a switch click in the control right then. The rear pedal takes more pressure.

Puts me in a mind of a article I read recently about braking. The author suggested lightly applying the front brakes in a blind turn, so that the pads touch the disks, to save time applying the brakes in an emergency. And then you have the trail braking technique in similar circumstances.

In both cases, or at least the first one, you don't necessarily want the brake light to turn on, 'cause you're not really slowing down. Particularly when riding in a group, when you don't want the rider behind to think you are slowing down where you are not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still under warranty ? My front comes on with hardly any pressure, I had to adjust my rear switch as it took alot of pressure to activate light, easy fix. I also adjusted the pedal up a bit, my short legs needed it. As I trail brake all the time.
Speaking of that, my rear wheel needs brake dust cleaned out all the time. Are these pads that dirty or am I just using alot of rear brake ?
How do you adjust the rear switch? My brake light does not come on when the foot brake is applied. We can hear the hand brake switch and the light comes on when applying the hand brake.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
How do you adjust the rear switch? My brake light does not come on when the foot brake is applied. We can hear the hand brake switch and the light comes on when applying the hand brake.
I think it was mentioned in this thread, or maybe another one, the switch barrel has a threaded mount with a plastic ring that you have to tighten onto it to pull it back a little more. That may be loose on your bike if the light just doesn't come on at all.
The only other way to make the rear brake trigger the light sooner is to perhaps put a crimp in the switch spring down next to the rear brake master cylinder to shorten it or at least tighten it up some.
But you want to make sure that threaded ring is tight before messing with the spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts