CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has the bike now, or seen the manual...:rolleyes:
What are the Factory reccomended break in processes for engine , brakes, and suspension? :confused:
Being an engineer myself, I strongly believe in doing such to break in as the engineers intended for cars and M/Cs. Yes there are those who believe in just getting on it (or in) and go.:eek:
Today a break in is probably not going to make that big a difference in premature failures. BUT, what it will/should do is get all the components settled in place properly:p for long term optimum performance (engine,brakes, suspension), fuel effeiciency, as well as overall longevity with minimal degradation. :D

Let the arguments begin?

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I think you're going to have as many opinions on this as there are riders. What they've been saying 99% of the time for as long as I can remember is for the first 500 miles, keep the RPMs down under 3k, vary the throttle as much as possible, but don't hammer it. Even that which in itself cannot always be agreed upon is open to interpretation.

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
I wouldn't be looking for rider opinions. i know those will be as many as there are number of riders. Just what the manual or dealer/service dept. states please. We'll go from there. :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't be looking for rider opinions. i know those will be as many as there are number of riders. Just what the manual or dealer/service dept. states please. We'll go from there. :D
It's almost never ending, almost always a some super long thread on it or many to read.
Probably best to use what the dealer/manual says and use it as a reference point

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I agree with ya, except that no matter what the manual or the technician or the factory rep or God Himself says on the subject, there's always gonna be somebody else who had a different experience. ;) So whether you're looking for rider opinions or not, I'll bet ya another cup of coffee you're gonna get some. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
I agree with ya, except that no matter what the manual or the technician or the factory rep or God Himself says on the subject, there's always gonna be somebody else who had a different experience. ;) So whether you're looking for rider opinions or not, I'll bet ya another cup of coffee you're gonna get some. :D
Y'all are not listening... or reading.
We all know there will be a multitude of opinions and that people will free give those in spite of our best efforts to ask for only what the manual/dealer says. The point of this thread is only for what does the manual or dealer say about it!

Please, if you already have your CTX1300, tell us what you were told at the dealership or what the manual states about the issue and leave the opinions for the other thread on this forum asking for the opinions. :)
pretty please :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Japanese manual says the first 500km are considered the break-in period on this bike. The only bullet points in that section are (text in parentheses is added by me):

• avoid sudden starts and rapid acceleration (i.e. don't do burnouts at the green light and don't overtake by riding the red line)
  • avoid sudden braking and sudden downshifts (i.e. don't do stoppies and don't downshift when you're already at the red line)
  • operate the bike gently (i.e. don't beat the soul out of it just yet)
Hope this helps.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have just finished the recommended 300 mi break in period. Conditions listed in the manual include no fast accelerations, high speeds and hard breaking. The engine runs just like my ST 1300. Good roll on power in 5th gear for passing. Very smooth quick shifting, maybe aided because of the different riding position, which is very relaxed. Handle bars are very wide, but still responsive on turns and curves. Gas mileage is very similar to ST 1300, 55mpg at 55 mph. Go slower and mpg goes up. Average mpg is in high 40's so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
Good review... good mpg too. Should continue to get better as the initial miles add up for a while yet. My Burgman 650 got around 48 mpg after 500 miles and kept going up a little each tank until it levelled out after about the first 1200 miles.
Your ST1300 must get better than average mpg from what I've heard.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I owned three brand new Yamaha Ventures:an 83 Standard,1200 V4,a 93 Royale,1300 V4,a 99 RSV,1300 V4,and my currant machine,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE,1600,twin,also bought brand new,and all heavy machines,well over 800 pounds,the Tbird being the lightest at approximately 780 lbs.On all four of these machines,as long as I accelerated slowly and kept my speeds between 55 and 65 mph,I ALWAYS got 55mpg,and sometimes a tad better,depending on road conditions,wind, hills,mountains,traffic,etc.Now,if I drove any of these machines hard,or above 65 mph,then mpg would drop substantially.But as long as I drove em nice,I always got good gas mileage.So as tstickler stated,MPG is" INFACT" controlled by the "TWIST" of the right "WRIST". And I'm a poet and I know it.lol lol Dave!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts