CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend the best product to repair a broken tab? Shown is the left panel covering the battery. I was careful to not break the long tab with a square hole in it, but I did break a small tab. :(

I stopped at a parts store for epoxy or JB Weld, and the choices were so numerous I really wasn't sure what to select. I delayed purchase so I could ask for collective wisdom from the forum. I haven't dealt with epoxy or JB for many years, and I want to make the best choice I can the first time.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I saw mention of glue and baking soda somewhere but unfortunately I didn't bookmark the conversation. I didn't have time to read back on the thread to see where the baking soda fits in.

Maybe someone else did...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
That looks like the middle cowl and the tab/sockets that hook on around the headlights.

This is the stuff I found just a few years ago that works on plastic body panels way better than anything else I've tried including the regular J-B Weld:

J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive and Gap Filler Syringe - Black - 25 ml
by Amazon.com

This one is black. I'm now on my second pack which I found at the local Lowe's here which is a tan color. Since it still works really well on ceramic and metal and other materials, including the plastic stuff, it is the only J-B Weld I buy any more. I've repaired a few plastic tabs as well as a badly cracked panel on my Burgman with it. (many coats to bond the crack and then fill in, then sanded to blend with the normal panel shape, then a dozen coats of Krylon Fusion spay paint in white which matches my Burgman... can't tell it was broken). I've also used this stuff to repair a number of ceramic mugs and plates/bowels. Mug handle was broken off and this stuff is holding great even after many cycles through the dishwasher.

I would put on at least a few thin coats on the side of that tab that doesn't "catch" the tongue that it engages and maybe even one coat inside that may have to be sanded or trimmed to fit the tongue after it cures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, broke the same one on my bike. I bought a new left cover :( but I not sure if glue will do the trick. I am going to try fiberglass mat.

Glen

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I used regular two part JBWeld. With some small plastic support type pieces put in and covered.
I believe the baking soda was used with superglue. But I’d try it on something else first to see how it goes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used regular JB Weld. I have it and it works. I will have pick up some of that plastic bonder that @bob has so I have it around when (not if) I need it again. I posted not too long ago that the repair manual says nothing about popping off the rear of the middle cowl first then sliding forward to release from the headlight assembly. I wrote a note in my repair manual to help me remember, although I am getting cocky and thinking I dont need the manual to take plastic off. doh! I am guessing most CTX's have those very sockets glued.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
I found that the best way to remove that middle cowl is as @Stirling mentioned. I would remove the one screw up under the front of the panel, then pop the panel off the grommet connectors on the rear bottom edge first, then I rotate the rear end of that panel down while rotating the front point forward and slightly up so the top center of the panel will clear the mirrors. That also properly releases the front hooks around the headlights. I would put it back on in reverse order making sure to hold the front so that as I rotate the front of the panel back and down it will catch those headlight hooks. Of course, being VERY careful that those tabs with the square holes do not press against anything that might break those. Tricky business at best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank all of you for the great advice, especially Bob for the product referral. It's always hardest to work with something the first time. Once you know how it's supposed to come apart, it's much easier the second time. If I get by with a fix using this adhesive, I will be very pleased. And thank you for the reminder to rotate the cowl as it goes on! I will be very careful to go slow and get it right. One tab fix is enough. Hopefully I won't have more!

Thank youi!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts