CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
THAT BEEP BEEP HORN!!!!!!!!
:mad:
Yes I also think the horn is at best abysmal,I fitted a pair of used horns from a Alfa Romeo my daughter was scrapping,what a difference.
BTW is there not a relay already fitted for the original horn,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anything that the dealer can install? I haven't picked mine up yet and I want to make certain that I don't ride it home without some serious decibels.:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Unfortunately most Honda bikes today all have that same meep-meep 110db horn (so they say it's 110db). I need at least 130db. My added horn is 132db.

For those who haven't looked it up... sound pressure doubles for every 3db increase in output. Industry standard, or at least the more common guideline, is to measure sound pressure at either one or two meters from source. Stebel, for example, measures theirs at less than one meter. So to compare Stebel horns to other horns you have to find the formula and do some calculation to adjust for the same distance for each horn.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Congratulations, Bob! I haven't upgraded my horn yet; I'm waiting until I install the flare guns, and I will kill two birds with one stone. Has anyone sourced reliable rocket boosters yet? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
What about the Goldwing horn setup?

You former GL-riders chime in.

I was looking at the online parts fiche for something else but noticed the GL comes with a dual horn setup. Do you know if Honda built it with a relay or not?

Just wondering.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Don't remember for my GL1500. I did add my own relay and made a pigtail off the factory horns for that bike and powered my air horns from a direct feed through my own relay that way. Same as I have done with all my bikes since. I have found that any horn seems to sound louder when on dedicated wires and a direct power feed from the battery... even the factory horns. I use the factory wires off the factory horn to trigger the relay.

BTW- the factory horn circuit on the CTX1300 does share with some other electrics on the engine.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Don't know about GL horn setup, but I did like the sound of my Honda Fury horn. I'm thinking about having my local dealer get me one and install it on my CTX. I'm wondering if I can just unhook the factory horn and install the horn from the Fury?? The horn on this thing is so wimpy sounding, I can't believe that Honda used such a cheap a$$ horn for this expensive bike!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honda Fury Horn?

Don't know about GL horn setup, but I did like the sound of my Honda Fury horn. I'm thinking about having my local dealer get me one and install it on my CTX. I'm wondering if I can just unhook the factory horn and install the horn from the Fury?? The horn on this thing is so wimpy sounding, I can't believe that Honda used such a cheap a$$ horn for this expensive bike!
Took me a little work to find a parts diagram for a Honda Fury (happened to look up the 2011 VT1300CX AC) to find the horn since it's diagrammed with the foot pegs instead of any wiring harness or controls.

Looks like the Fury comes with a single horn and it does differ from the "disk" looking horn on the CTX1300, it has that "ram's horn" body so it should be lower and louder sounding.

Comparing OEM parts prices (I used Honda Del Rio since I found them to have lower OEM parts prices) our CTX1300 horn (P/N 38110-MFN-D01) costs $11.30! The Fury horn (P/N 38120-MFN-671) costs $48.70! No wonder our horn goes "meep-meep".

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Comparing OEM parts prices (I used Honda Del Rio since I found them to have lower OEM parts prices) our CTX1300 horn (P/N 38110-MFN-D01) costs $11.30! The Fury horn (P/N 38120-MFN-671) costs $48.70! No wonder our horn goes "meep-meep".

Does anyone know the power drain on the two horns mentioned above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts