·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Honda tall windscreen and in the first 1000 miles
I think I have been hit in the face with more bugs then in the last 30
years of riding
I think I would fare better with no screen and no helmet
yes I do wear a helmet and its plastered with bugs and when I ride with shield up I get them in the face
I like the amount of air around the screen its just the airflow brings the bugs around and into my face
this is the first bike I have had that did that
I think they come from around the top corners not just from over the top
im only 5'10" so im not to tall for the screen
I know there are options for other screens I just don't want a bunch of extra kinda good screens in the closet

anyone else

·
Registered
413 Posts
With an X-Creen on my Honda Tall screen I get absolutely zero bugs. None. I clean my helmet about once every 2 weeks because it stays that clean.

When I put the shorty screen back on with the X-Creen clamped on, I get a lot of bugs. Annoying but worth it for the air flow in the warmer weather.

Consider adding an X-Creen or Laminar Lip instead of replacing the shield, if it's working for you otherwise.

Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking the touring for a long time and will likely pull the trigger

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Maybe it's the high bug count here in the upper midwest, but I've had the same experience concerning bugs to the face. I'm seriously considering the Cee Bailey 16" tall windshield and was wondering if anyone else has tried one yet. I, too, am 5'10' but suspect the offending critters are coming over the top of the screen. However, the permanent opening in the center of the tall Honda shield I'm using could be the source of the problem as well. The Cee Bailey has an adjustable vent that appears identical to the vent in the shield on the GL1800, a vent that can be completely closed when necessary.

I know a few folks are running the 14" Cee Bailey, but the tall Honda screen is also 14" tall, so I can't imagine another 14' unit being much help. I'm not crazy about the Laminar Lip or the X-Creen.

Anyone tried the 16" Cee Bailey?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Honda tall windscreen and in the first 1000 miles
I think I have been hit in the face with more bugs then in the last 30
years of riding
I think I would fare better with no screen and no helmet
yes I do wear a helmet and its plastered with bugs and when I ride with shield up I get them in the face
I like the amount of air around the screen its just the airflow brings the bugs around and into my face
this is the first bike I have had that did that
I think they come from around the top corners not just from over the top
im only 5'10" so im not to tall for the screen
I know there are options for other screens I just don't want a bunch of extra kinda good screens in the closet

anyone else
I am in North Dakota myself and there a a lot of bugs here also. I was going to start a thread that relates perfectly to this one.

I am 5'11 and have the Honda tall windscreen. The top of it is right at my chin height wise. This does not work for me as I would be blind from bugs in the eyes if not for the full face helmet.

I have looked at the add ons like the Laminar lip and the X-Screen. Might have to go that way but I would really like a 17-18 inch screen. I do not think a 16 inch will work if the Honda is 14. I think a minimum of 17 is needed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have the Honda tall screen with Laminar Lip on the blue bike and the Cee Bailey 16 with Laminar Lip on the red one. The Cee with the lip is just tall enough that I have to look through the lip when I ride through the dips.

On the highway the Cee 16 is much better than the Honda tall. It is wider as well as taller. The vent is like the one I had on my original screen for the GL1800.

CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith
CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tennessee,
How much difference would you say the laminar lip makes for helmet turbulence? I get a bit more noise than I like, but my wife says she is getting a lot more than she did on the VTX with the OEM Honda tall shield( I had the Switchblade for quite awhile and replaced with the Honda and found it better). I would like to keep her happy.
I think I notice more since we changed helmets. We wore half for years, but recently got full face. Then we needed Bluetooth so we could talk:) Went with the Sena 10. Pretty good.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
@TennesseeSmith, I see we've already had a thread on the Cee 16", and it sounds like the answer for swatting bugs, at least in my case. I don't mind looking through a little bit of windshield, as I've done that for years on the Wing. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Honda Tall Shield on my CTX1300 - I am thinking of purchasing a MRA X-Creen for it. Does anyone have any images of it on this model? I don't want it to look too odd but most importantly, I'd like it to be effective.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the Laminar Lip lifts the turbulent air two to three inches. That's enough to get it over my head.

I don't generally carry a passenger, so I don't know what impact it has for them.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Reactions: HwyFuzz

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hondaline cleaner fixes all these issues..:smiley-happy0034:

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Hondaline cleaner fixes all these issues..:smiley-happy0034:
That preceded with a very wet towel sitting on the spatter for a few minutes just before using the cleaner. :D

Even with the (VERY) tall Tulsa shield on my GL1500, which extended well over the top of my helmet, there were often bugs and junk that made it to my helmet visor. And I even had the fork tunnel inserts on that bike so it wasn't a case of junk flying up through there. Decided it was far better to look over the shield than try to stop wind and junk unsuccessfully by using a bigger shield. My wife riding pillion, back when she did, still had some buffeting on that setup as well even with fairing deflectors and Baker wings. So my conclusion is this: Bugs happen. It is a motorcycle and there will be wind and bugs and stuff that hit me. There are things I can do to reduce stuff hitting me directly. That's part of what the gear is for. If I don't like the wind or bugs or road junk from hitting my gear once in a while, I ride in the enclosed cage with the windows closed. I always keep my visor closed and find that even when temps are over 100°F it is more comfortable than having that blast furnace air hitting my face through an open visor. I will sometimes open the visor at a stop light, but close it as soon as I am moving again (The vents on my helmet work very well). The visor is your friend. IMHO. :wink:

-

·
Registered
413 Posts
I always keep my visor closed and find that even when temps are over 100°F it is more comfortable than having that blast furnace air hitting my face through an open visor. I will sometimes open the visor at a stop light, but close it as soon as I am moving again (The vents on my helmet work very well). The visor is your friend. IMHO. :wink:
-
What kind of helmet? I've started using a Shoei Qwest this season and I'm really enjoying it. Nicer air flow than my previous lids. But it can be a bit of a challenge getting used to the claustrophobic/stale-air feeling of a full-face helmet especially when running with a taller shield that prevents a lot of air flow from getting into those helmet vents. That's why I switch back to the stock shorty shield during hotter spells.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
What kind of helmet? I've started using a Shoei Qwest this season and I'm really enjoying it. Nicer air flow than my previous lids. But it can be a bit of a challenge getting used to the claustrophobic/stale-air feeling of a full-face helmet especially when running with a taller shield that prevents a lot of air flow from getting into those helmet vents. That's why I switch back to the stock shorty shield during hotter spells.

Jeff
I am very budget oriented. I have a HJC IS-17 Intake (Hi-Viz) helmet, full face with integrated sun visor. I find I need the wind stream to hit just at above the visor, so at my forehead, and the top vent then works very well. This draws air through the chin vent enough to create a breeze over my face. This also has a Pin-Lock visor so I have that insert as well. No fogging in any weather. And not so noisy as my former modular helmet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts