CTX 1300 Forum banner

Car Tire Early Results

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Philipcartimiglia 
#1 ·
The change over went fairly easy with the Bridgestone Driveguard 205/50/17.
I change to this tire after getting 3800 miles out of my Shinko
As for as the handling:
1- Coming out of a curve at a certain point of the angle it almost stands up by itself
2- I did notice a softer ride. Well needed for this bike.
3- It tends to follow the natural angle of the road. You have to fight to keep it tracking straight when you take your hands off the bars.
4- It follows the cracks in the road. Which we have a lot in Louisiana.

I think I will be well satisfied once I get use to it. I was also told that it gets better after the tire breaks in.

#3 ·
"I change to this tire after getting 3800 miles out of my Shinko."

Thought the same. Maybe he removed tire before it wore out?

I've been getting 13k - 14k out of my tires.

Reactions: Glen Chapman
#4 ·
There are a lot of details that affect tire wear. Road surface material and temp, riding style, load on bike, etc. I was able to go well over 12K on the OEM Dunlop tires but they were terrible performers. Only about 7K on Bridgestones and 8K+ on Shinko tires. The Avon tires I put on before I sold the CTX looked to go almost as far as the Dunlop tires, maybe even farther, and were great performers in wet and dry.

#5 ·
I just don't get it. Ok, yes I can see the tire lasting much longer and probably being cheaper to purchase. Beyond that, not so much. I just purchased my CTX, I've had it about 10 days now, put on a couple hundred miles. My rear tire, 8 years old, was wore flat across the center 3 inches of the tire, so I was semi-darksiding. I could easily feel the hesitation in the tire as the bike went into a corner and like you said, coming out of the corner at some point the bike would self-right. Today, I installed new motorcycle tires, and the handling difference is night/day. Today's ride was like being on a sport bike verse yesterday's semi-darkside, you have to force me into the corner, bike. I enjoy riding to much to put that kind of limit on my riding.

Reactions: bruceb and Stlburd2
#6 ·
It was a commitment when I went darkside. I read a lot about the pros and cons and had to make a decision. I'll let you know in a few weeks after I put more mileage on it. I can for see a great benefit on driving the interstate, but not so much on the twisties unless it makes a difference after the tire breaks in or the tire breaks me in.

#7 ·
It will be a learning experience for you. Darksiders can get around corners, just have to learn the ways of the tire and adapt. My experience was only semi-darkside and may not reflect the true reality. Be safe and have fun.

Reactions: Stlburd2
#10 ·
Justaguy, do you recall what tire pressure you were running in that tire that flat spotted so bad? Almost sounds as if it were under inflated or maybe the previous owner ran it underinflated or overloaded or both. Maybe trying to smooth out the ride. I've seen what your talking about, the flat center area, but only about 2 " wide. Ride safe.

#11 ·
Haven't got a clue what pressure the former owner ran in the rear tire. It had nearly 10k miles on it so I would imagine it was properly inflated. It's a Florida bike, not many bends in the road down there. Anyway, have new bikes tires so all is good.

#12 ·
Yeah, areas that have a lot of straight roads tend to have a lot of motorcycles showing that flat center on the rear tire. Gold Wings used to be king at making the rear tire have that flat center due to so many miles traveled on the Interstate roads but there are many other bikes that show this as well if the rider travels long distances on not so curvy roads. I've had that on many of my bikes rear tires more or less depending on how many straight miles vs curved miles I go. And I keep my rear tires at or a little higher than factory recommended psi. Usually 42 psi unless the tire max is less (my current Burgman rear tire has a tire factory max of 41 psi stamped in the sidewall and Suzuki also recommends that so that's where it is set to).

Reactions: Stlburd2
#13 ·
Another tire tread... uh.. I mean thread!

Good luck going darkside. I have friends who do it and swear by it. Like all things, it is subjective.

Just my two cents: I have never gotten high mileage on my motorcycle tires. I wear through them fast! Sometimes I go through two sets a year per bike!! I keep my tire pressure at 40psi (front) and 42psi (rear) and I am heavy on the throttle and lean hard in the corners! If anyone tells you the CTX1300 is not a sport bike.... they need to go on a ride with me.

Ride safe my friends.

Peace,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.