CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally got to road test a new Scala Q3. I bought it from Motorcycle Superstore for about $175. The bracket clamped easily to my Arai Profile; the microphone and speakers were also easy installs as the helmet padding has large ear spaces and there is a flat area right in front of my mouth. I charged it until the red light went out and then did the software update via online. The online setting site is actually pretty cool and easy to use. The unit paired with my Iphone 4 right off the bat so I did the first run listening to Pandora. There are two pairing channels and so I then tried to pair the CTX with the second channel. This was a little tricky because I have a thumb drive with a bunch of CD'
s ripped, hooked to the USB. You have to be in the right mode and then press mode + volume up. The bike beeps for a little and then when it pairs there is a single beep. Then press mode again to find the right mode. By the end of the day, it seemed like the bike "learned" to find the Q3. :smiley-happy0034:The unit also has FM capability but I didn't try that. And I didn't take any calls yet. The primary benefit of listening to music via the Q3 is increased clarity; speed has no effect on sound quality. I know because I ran all the way up to 95 mph. Initially I had the speakers in the wrong place and was not getting very high volume. Then I moved them so that they aligned with my ear canals; that did the trick. Music inside the helmet is very different than music from the outside speakers. I think I'm going to love this little piece of technology, particularly on long rides.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am liking this Q3 more and more every time I use it. The ritual to pair with the CTX on channel 1 is pretty easy: mode + vol up. I pair it with my I-phone on channel 2 and that did have some problems that required advise from the scala tech guy. Just had to remove it from the iphone and then install again. Clarity of phone calls is incredible and most people I talk with can't believe I'm riding a motorcycle. Now my only problem is music choice: cd's from the thumb drive or Pandora on my cell phone. I have a friend with a Scala Q2. The next test will be to see if the Q3 will talk with the Q2.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I would expect the Q3 and Q2 will talk. I just know the Q2 won't talk to the bike. I have the Q2 and want to replace it with a Sena SMH5FM2. I just can't justify it right now since the farkle fund is low and the Q2 is working fine otherwise (radio and phone and bike to bike).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts