CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added the "extra" tall Cee Bailey's windshield and wish it was a couple of inches taller. I am 6'2" and long in the torso and could use the extra height. With the 16" I still get wind on my helmet and if I duck down a little I can get out of the wind completely. 18" would work and I could still see over the top. Anybody know of a taller windshield out there for our CTX1300"s?

·
Registered
413 Posts
There is a 17" Madstad shield but I don't know of anyone here who's tried it, only the shorter 15" version of the same shield.

I'm 6' and found that adding an MRA X-Creen to my Honda Tall shield allowed it to work for me, where the tall shield by itself was far too short and gave me lots of head buffeting. The X-Creen is very adjustable and I configure it so that the total height is about 17.5" inches or so. Works great.

Some other members here are fans of the Laminar Lip for similar reasons: slight height extension and smoothing out of airflow over the top of a shield. But it's not as adjustable.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

·
Registered
764 Posts
CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

I put the Laminar Lip on my 16" Cee Bailey. It's the best solution I've found so far. It's not easily adjustable like the X-Creen. I am having no issues looking over the lip. The air is going over my head at highway speeds.

At the moment I have the Honda tall screen on the blue bike and the 16" Cee Bailley on the red bike. Both have the Laminar Lip. The main difference seems to be that the Cee Bailley is a bit wider.

My windshield experiences seem to line up with guys who are about 6'0" tall.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Look elsewhere on this forum for more discussion on these two options and opinions of riders of differing heights. I have the Xcreen on a Honda Tall and have adjusted it to my preference.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Madstad 17 inch was the trick for me. I started with the 15 inch but that was just a bit too short.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I've got the 16" Cee Bailey shield, and like you I was disappointed with the air buffeting the top of my helmet. I added the X-Creen to the top of the shield and can now ride with my visor up. I still get some buffeting but no where near as much as without the X-Creen. I added the bolt-on model and in its lowest position I can see over the top of the shield most of the time. When going over hills I have to look through the shield but most of the time I'm looking over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes they have one that is about 20 inches tall, if I did the math right.

CTX1300 '14-15' : D1134ST SPECIFIC SCREEN
Haha, I was just looking at that and was on my way back to post the same observation. I wonder if they're measuring from the very bottom of the screen or from the seam of the front fairing cover like the other shield makers tend to on this bike?

That shield can apparently be had for $157.50 in the USA (with free shipping no less), which would make it the lowest cost shield option I've seen.

Hmm.

Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
the givis are pretty nice and very tall I have bought 4 of them for previous bikes and the were really nice
a couple so tall I ended up cutting them down
the one for the ctx looks to be the widest available also
I was thinking when it starts to get colder I would pick one up

cuz 39 degrees this morning wasn't cold enough for a bigger screen I guess

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Givi windshield

Haha, I was just looking at that and was on my way back to post the same observation. I wonder if they're measuring from the very bottom of the screen or from the seam of the front fairing cover like the other shield makers tend to on this bike?

That shield can apparently be had for $157.50 in the USA (with free shipping no less), which would make it the lowest cost shield option I've seen.

Hmm.

Jeff

Thanks for the lead, I decided to go ahead and buy one to see if I like it and then maybe sell the Cee Bailey.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the lead, I decided to go ahead and buy one to see if I like it and then maybe sell the Cee Bailey.
Sweet, then you can return the favor by telling me how exactly they measured it when it arrives. ;-)

My wife tells me the combo of the Honda Tall + X-Creen, which works fine for me, gives her some buffeting, so if the Givi is a bit more coverage I may make the hop to it this year.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I've got the 16" Cee Bailey shield, and like you I was disappointed with the air buffeting the top of my helmet. I added the X-Creen to the top of the shield and can now ride with my visor up. I still get some buffeting but no where near as much as without the X-Creen. I added the bolt-on model and in its lowest position I can see over the top of the shield most of the time. When going over hills I have to look through the shield but most of the time I'm looking over it.
Not to hijack this thread but I have to ask, whose make of rider backrest do you have or did you change your entire seat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I have to ask, whose make of rider backrest do you have or did you change your entire seat?
I took my seat to Rich's Custom Motorcycle Seats in Kingston, WA and he custom fit it to my butt and added the back rest. He does a great job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the 14" windshield from Cee Baileys. I'm 5'10" but I guess I'm long in the torso too because that shield is about 2 or 3 inches too short. Man I thought I was normal... If I lower my head a little bit i'm fine but that is not a comfortable position. Sitting normally on the bike I get buffetting at forehead height. I'm disappointed but I had done my research properly and I selected this windshield because I thought I would be much happier with it than the honda one. I was ready and did pay double the price for it. 200$ CAD for Honda compared to 380$ CAD for Cee Baileys.

It sucks. I'm not willing to send it back, order another one and loose a bunch of money.

From reading on this matter, I don't beleive my torso is longer than normal. I think their windshield is just too short. It is a good quality but the height doesn't work. I followed precisely their instructions but in the end I should have gotten the 16".

So, final review, happy with the quality, disappointed in the height. Wish I could just exchange it for a 16".

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Have you considered a MRA X-creen on top of the Cee Baileys or even the Honda tall shields?

I actually prefer air flow on the top of my helmet so the top vent will work for me. I love that the air stream hits me just above the visor on my full face helmet. Pulls the air across the top inside just right. I have never noticed any "buffeting" on this CTX. My GL1500 had buffeting bad until I changed out the shield for the third try (then I was in a dead air bubble which I didn't like either). My ST1100 didn't really though... not much anyway. This bike has been the best aerodynamically to me. I've only felt buffeting when passing through the bow wave of a semi. I do get a strong air stream at speed but it's smooth, not beating or bashing my helmet back and forth, so I cannot call that buffeting 'cause it's not. I am a bit short waisted. 5' 9" with 32" inseam so the Honda tall shield is perfect for my needs. I considered adding the X-creen on the stock shorty shield but with the deal I got went for the tall shield instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been very happy with the Honda tall screen for myself even though I'm 6'. However, my wife complains mightily about the wind buffeting on the back seat. Need help on making the ride more pleasant for her. Considering Cee Bailey's wider windscreen (14" or 16") but haven't seen any comments as to its affect on the passenger, positive or negative. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've mounted the Cee Bailey 16" and both I and my passenger are enjoying the change from the Honda tall screen. I also like the Gold Wing type adjustable vent that the Cee Bailey offers. I swear that most bugs I encountered made their way through the open port on the Honda tall and nailed me somewhere the helmet didn't cover. I'm 5'10" and average as can be.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts