CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noted a 16" is now available -- Honda tall that I have now is 14" and being 6'4", I need a little more to limit buffeting at speed.

Anyone got one yet?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
764 Posts
CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

It's a bit better for me than the Honda Tall. The width makes a big difference.

I'm only 5'10, but I'm long in the torso. My windshield experiences seem to line up with other guys who are about 6 foot even.

I get a very slight hit at the top of my helmet. It's not enough to be a problem. I am thinking about adding a laminar lip to lift the air a couple more inches.

I have the Honda Tall with a Laminar Lip on my other CTX1300. The Lip makes a big difference on that bike. CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I buy a new bike I always budget a chunk of money to try various windshields until I get the right setup. I never could get the CTX700D right. That's what motivated me to trade it for my first CTX1300.

I've tried these setups on the two bikes:
-Honda Shorty
-Honda Tall
-Honda Tall with Laminar Lip
-MadStad
-Cee Bailey 16 inch

At this point I put the Honda Tall with Laminar Lip slightly ahead of the Cee Bailey 16 by itself.

I had a WindBender on my last Gold Wing. That was a really nice shield. The airflow was very smooth and it was adjustable. It was very wide. I had a Clearview on my first ST1100 and a Cee Bailey on my second ST1100. Those were both good shields.

The best windshield I ever owned was the stock shield on the 2013 Triumph Trophy. It was adjustable on the fly by the push of a button. That bike also provided awesome wind protection for my legs. I traded it for my second CTX1300 because the Trophy was very unreliable. All that wind protection was worthless when the bike wouldn't run.

I'll probably get a Lip for the red bike in the Spring. That will be the last change for a few years. I am done buying bikes for a while.

Also, what's behind you will make a difference. Riding with a passenger will affect the buffeting on your head. Even the Honda top box will negatively affect the way the bike feels in the wind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mr. Smith,how would you compare the wind protection of the tall Cee Bailey to that of the Madstad? I remember reading that you were not
happy with the mounting bracket of the Madstad.That aside,the Madstad appears to be a bit wider than the Cee Bailey.I was able to test ride a CTX with the Madstad and it was very effective,but I still noticed some wind on the arms.Do you recall the height of your Madstad shield? The one I tried was 14'' and I could have used a bit more height.I wasn't able to play with the angle adjustments too much,but it seemed like it would be a big plus once it was dailed in.
I agree with you about the Trophy (I've rented one several times).
Awesome wind protection,awesome bike.I sure don't blame you for dumping yours,after what you went through (I read that forum too).
Thanks in advance for your insight!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I really liked the MadStad. It was better than the Honda Tall, but not as nice as the Honda Tall plus Laminar Lip. It was a nice wide screen, but I could have used a couple more inches in height. I believe my MadStad was 15 inches. RK3-CTX1300-15-MG

I really liked the adjustability of the MadStad. On those 90 degree days it's good to be able to lower the screen. That provides way more relief than the vent on the Cee Bailey.

Both the MadStad and the Cee Bailey benefit from being wider than the Honda shield. The Cee Bailey seems to be a bit taller and that makes it a slightly better fit for me. It's not really enough better to justify the cost if you've already paid for the MadStad.

For me, it was the mounting issue that made it worth the money. I think Honda did a crappy job with the windshield mounts for the CTX1300. We really need something more substantial to mount the windshield to. The simpler design of the Cee Bailey mitigates some of the mounting concerns.

The Laminar Lip moves the air stream a couple of inches higher. It seems to smooth out the flow of the air a good bit too. I think it's a good option on any of the single-piece windshields.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ctxm1300

CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

It's a bit better for me than the Honda Tall. The width makes a big difference.

I'm only 5'10, but I'm long in the torso. My windshield experiences seem to line up with other guys who are about 6 foot even.

I get a very slight hit at the top of my helmet. It's not enough to be a problem. I am thinking about adding a laminar lip to lift the air a couple more inches.

I have the Honda Tall with a Laminar Lip on my other CTX1300. The Lip makes a big difference on that bike. CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith
Hi Tennesseesmith,
I think the bike looks a bit better with the Laminar Lip,I have been trying to find out who sells them but hit brick walls,also I noticed you have a beaded seat cover does that help on a distance ride and is as good as the Airhawk,cheers melv

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys -- I got the Cee Bailey's x-tall today.

I now have a Honda tall (14") with 800 miles on it for sale if anyone wants it. $75 + shipping.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I got the lip from:
http://www.laminarlip.com/

The unit I got is:
U1114C LIP for Universal Motorcycles 14 Inch Clear

I think I might need a slightly wider unit for the Cee Bailey windshield. The Laminar Lip site has instructions for measuring.

The seat beads are from:
BeadRider ? Beaded Motorcycle Seats

I don't remember if I ordered the 14X14 or the 15X15. I went out to the garage and measured them at 14X15. These are the beads I originally used on my CTX700D. I got the ceramic beads instead of the wooden beads.

The beads keep some air moving under the butt. This is really nice on warmer days, but not so good in the Winter. The beads seem to give me an extra quarter inch in height.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Also consider the X-Creen as an alternative to the Laminar Lip. Both drill- and clamp-mount options are available and it's almost infinitely adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts