CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My center stand arrived yesterday and I am going to attempt to install it myself. My local shop wanted a crazy amount to instal it (may seem cheap by the time I'm done) so I am going to give it a try. I have read many of the posts on it and seen a few videos. It looks simple, except for the spring install. I ordered a couple tools to help me with that part and we will see if they help.

Can anyone tell me why the Canadian models came with the center stand the rear suspension spanner wrench and the US models did not? Did the bike cost more there? I don't get it.

Wish me luck and I will post my results as soon as I am done, or my girlfriend will post the pics of my body under the bike if it kills me (I give it 50/50? haha).

Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I think ALL CTX1300 bikes in every other country came from the factory with center stand, heated grips, 12v socket, and all else that is included with the USA Deluxe model. Don't know if there was any up-charge for all that. Something to do with requirements to sell in those countries. I guess the USA is easy pickings for outside companies to send some products without all the features.

I don't know if you saw all the threads/posts about the install. There are some here who attached the spring before bolting the center stand to the bike and used a ratchet strap from the center stand cross bar to one wheel to pull the stand mounting bolt holes into alignment to slip in the bolts. Though I never installed the center stand on mine I always felt that was the better way to get it done. The penney method should also work... slipping a stack of coins into the coils of the spring, one coin between each coil until the entire spring is held long enough to install. Of course keeping in mind there are 2 springs with the smaller one inside the larger one so there is that. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All done. This is the biggest mechanical thing I have done since my heat attack last year so I knew it would not be too easy. I figured the exhaust trim would be very easy, and I was wrong. It's not hard, just take a bit to get all the tabs lined up. Getting it up and the bolts in was not hard at all. So the whole thing took me only 45 minutes. Now add the 2 hours I spent of the springs! They are just a big a pain as everyone says. The two tools I got were zero help. Good thing I can return them. I ended up doing the coin method, and that's what took the time, no bench vise to hold the springs so some leverage with vise grips and I managed.

First time I went to put it on the center stand I was leery of it and it felt really tippy to me. I watched a couple videos and got my confidence up and it became easy after 2 tries.

So far I have added the new mirrors, a phone holder (not fixed on the one I got yet) and the center stand. I have the suspension spanner wrench on order but I am not sure what else to do next. Maybe a backrest for me, not sure after that.

Thanks,

James

3-16-2021 Before.jpg 3-16-2021 After.jpg 3-16-2021 DONE.jpg

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I used the coins in the spring method. Actually worked pretty well. I couldn’t get the ratchet straps to work.
Love the center stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used the coins in the spring method. Actually worked pretty well. I couldn’t get the ratchet straps to work.
Love the center stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, the coin method works great. Just need to make sure that you have enough penny's. The first time I tried it I put all of the coins on one side and learned real quick that would not work and then tried it with coins on both sides as you come down the spring. Make sure that you used the rubber tube as that stops harmonic vibrations which can cause the spring to fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After trying several ways, I ended up stretching the springs by a different method.
  • hooked the spring to the center stand
  • attached vice grip pliers to the body between the coiled area and the hook end that attaches to the motorcycle frame
* pliers must be clamped TIGHT
  • looped a chain around the pliers and then laid the chain ends on either side of the back tire
  • one person gets behind the bike and pulls the chain ends (that was me, lying on the ground with my feet against the back tire) while a second person pulls/guide the pliers
Having the chain on wither side of the rear tire allows the springs to be pulled straight back and in line with the point where they hook to the frame.
Kudos to my brother for coming up with this method and it worked great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All done. This is the biggest mechanical thing I have done since my heat attack last year so I knew it would not be too easy. I figured the exhaust trim would be very easy, and I was wrong. It's not hard, just take a bit to get all the tabs lined up. Getting it up and the bolts in was not hard at all. So the whole thing took me only 45 minutes. Now add the 2 hours I spent of the springs! They are just a big a pain as everyone says. The two tools I got were zero help. Good thing I can return them. I ended up doing the coin method, and that's what took the time, no bench vise to hold the springs so some leverage with vise grips and I managed.

First time I went to put it on the center stand I was leery of it and it felt really tippy to me. I watched a couple videos and got my confidence up and it became easy after 2 tries.

So far I have added the new mirrors, a phone holder (not fixed on the one I got yet) and the center stand. I have the suspension spanner wrench on order but I am not sure what else to do next. Maybe a backrest for me, not sure after that.

Thanks,

James

View attachment 46579
View attachment 46580
View attachment 46581 View attachment 46579 View attachment 46580 View attachment 46581
One other item that comes highly recommended are the saddle bag guards that are made by one of our members Charlie Rogina. They are easy to install, are well made, look good and have saved me twice now in gravel parking lots. Check out his YouTube video -

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
When getting the bike up on the center stand the bike will actually stand/balance on its own as long as you keep foot pressure/weight on the the pad with both centerstand legs are touching the ground. Then lift with that saddlebag guard and it goes up pretty easy, At least for me.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Great post! I will be adding a center stand in the next few weeks. Thanks for the "lessons learned".
Good luck! I had the dealer install mine a couple of years ago. Since then I have NEVER been able to get it up onto the center stand, despite watching various videos about how to do it. I just cannot get the hang of it, and I feel like I wasted the money. I just uncovered the bike from winter storage in my garage, where it unfortunately had to live on the side stand the entire time. I hope you have better luck.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
You might check that rear tire too. If you go with or have the larger Michelin tire it's a bit harder to set it up I've found.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it is easier to put on the center stand with the 55 aspect ratio tire. That's one of the reasons I chose the Michelin Commander III for my rear tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wish I checked in here before installing mine...
Took all of 10 minutes to mount the center stand and about 5 hours to get the springs attached! Not joking about that either - it was a fight.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Installed mine the easy way - the previous owner did it!!! Mine does seem to go up easier with the 55-series. However, gonna change back to a 50-series Shinko next couple weeks.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might check that rear tire too. If you go with or have the larger Michelin tire it's a bit harder to set it up I've found.
I have the larger Michelin rear tire and have had no issue getting the bike up onto the stand but just a little more difficult getting it off of the stand. But once you get the hang of it, it is no problem. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts