CTX 1300 Forum banner

Center Stand Lift techniques ??

15K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  kirkkw 
#1 ·
I had the center stand installed by the dealer a few days ago. I could NOT lift the bike up onto it by my self. Same for the service manager. I had no problem with my ST1300 . What is the secret to doing it solo? It also seemed the rear wheel is relatively high off the ground, hence taller stand and less efficient leverage perhaps. It won't be much good to me if I can't do it by myself.

#4 ·
Search for a post Center Stand Installation. There is a video there that might help you. It is tough to do unless you know the trick. I had same problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Don't think he was talking about installing the center stand but rather getting the bike up onto the center stand after it was already installed.

Sounds like the wrong stand was installed or the rear tire is deflated or suspension sitting too low.

I find the best way to get any bike on the center stand is the same way I learned with my GW.
-Left hand on left grip.
-Right hand on passenger grip (on the both ST bikes there was a special lever for this hold).
-Right foot pushing the center stand just so both feet of the stand are on the ground. At this point you should be able to simply stand on the center stand and the bike will hold itself upright due to both feet of the stand touching down. IOW, you shouldn't have to worry about holding the bike upright and your left hand is on the grip for YOU to keep YOUR balance.
-Now I don't ever try to lift the bike onto the stand but rather as I straighten my right LEG and with my right arm kept straight separate the distance between my right foot and right hand. Just like when lifting a heavy load... lift with the legs, or in this case the right leg. If you're especially short you may have to keep your arm bent a little and it will be harder to do.
The bike, regardless how heavy, usually pops right up onto the stand. has worked for me every time. Even worked for me on my friends bike with defective rear shocks that had totally lowered, though that did take much effort. But normally it doesn't take a lot of effort.

Reactions: Michael Hurst
#3 ·
Thanks for the connection to the posts. I watched & will see if I can.

#6 ·
Yes, there is a video there. I also noticed on mine that when on the stand the rear tire is about 1 1/2 inch above the floor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have the deluxe CTX (only model brought into Aust) which has center stand as standard and just did an oil change today and the rear wheel is only 12mm (1/2") off the floor. I'm about 5'7" and 170 lbs and have no problem getting it up, it's easier than my NT650 Deauville which is 200 lbs lighter. This is what I do which is as Bob said, left hand holding left handlebar gripe, right hand holding left pillion foot rest and right foot on centre stand. It sound like the stand is to tall to me
Good luck sorting it,
Ron

#7 ·
The technique from the video was all I needed. No problem , works fine. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: HansenCTX
#8 ·
Getting the heavy bike OFF the centerstand?

Managed to get the bike onto the center stand OK. The slight slope in the garage helped it roll backward onto the stand.

After cleaning the wheels (gee, I forgot they were gloss black I began to think they were matte black), etc. I tried my usual technique of standing on the left side of the bike and rocking it off the stand (I'm short so sitting on the bike and pushing with my legs doesn't work). Nope, bike too heavy. Not enough leverage with such a long bike.

While pondering my situation I did test that I could put my weight into the rear carrier and get the bike to rock forward off the stand, but how to keep my hands on the bars just in case?

Ended up using some tie down straps from the footpeg mounts up to each handlebar grip to keep the bars centered. Made sure the bike was in 1st gear so it wouldn't roll away from me. Made sure the side stand was down and locked into position.

Then gently pushed from the back onto the rear carrier and carefully balanced the bike (since there's not much leverage when you're holding it by the rear carrier), then slow tip to the left to prop it onto the side stand.

I wouldn't suggest using this technique all the time, but if you ever find yourself stuck in the same situation this gives you an idea of what you COULD do. Be careful if you try this.

Aloha,
Huladog

#9 ·
Managed to get the bike onto the center stand OK. The slight slope in the garage helped it roll backward onto the stand.

After cleaning the wheels (gee, I forgot they were gloss black I began to think they were matte black), etc. I tried my usual technique of standing on the left side of the bike and rocking it off the stand (I'm short so sitting on the bike and pushing with my legs doesn't work). Nope, bike too heavy. Not enough leverage with such a long bike.

While pondering my situation I did test that I could put my weight into the rear carrier and get the bike to rock forward off the stand, but how to keep my hands on the bars just in case?

Ended up using some tie down straps from the footpeg mounts up to each handlebar grip to keep the bars centered. Made sure the bike was in 1st gear so it wouldn't roll away from me. Made sure the side stand was down and locked into position.

Then gently pushed from the back onto the rear carrier and carefully balanced the bike (since there's not much leverage when you're holding it by the rear carrier), then slow tip to the left to prop it onto the side stand.

I wouldn't suggest using this technique all the time, but if you ever find yourself stuck in the same situation this gives you an idea of what you COULD do. Be careful if you try this.

Aloha,
Huladog
As I figured after reading the first sentence -- that which helped getting it up on the stand impedes getting it back down again. You shouldn't need an incline to rock it back on the stand; just the combination of pushing down on the stand and lifting up on the rear grab rails should be sufficient. And you don't need to be Hulk Hogan. In fact, when I had a bike with a center stand, I usually avoided using it on anything other than level ground.

Getting it down, you should be able to rock it back and then forward, giving it a little extra nudge on the bars on the forward rock to get enough momentum to push it off and forward, keeping your brake hand at the ready for the moment that both wheels are on the ground. I can see how that would be a scary proposition if you're inseam challenged.

If that absolutely will not work for you, the only other thing I'd suggest is to stand next to it and grab both sides of the handlebars, rock it back and then forward, again being ready to grab the brake once it's down on the ground. But I would strongly discourage trying to get it off the stand from behind -- that's just asking for trouble.

#10 ·
@sleepngbear just gave me a good idea which I didn't try because my rolling motorcycle dolly was right in front of the bike when I was trying to get it off the center stand.

What I SHOULD have done is to try pull the bike TOWARD me from the front with my two hands on the bars, that way I would have more leverage to balance the bike.

I used to try rocking the bike while standing on some step stools before when I rode a taller BMW R1200RT but that didn't work well either. Best route for me has been to stand on the left side, but with the CTX I just don't seem to have the right leverage to rock it forward. Need to try different ideas the next time.

Aloha,
Huladog

#11 ·
@sleepngbear just gave me a good idea which I didn't try because my rolling motorcycle dolly was right in front of the bike when I was trying to get it off the center stand.

What I SHOULD have done is to try pull the bike TOWARD me from the front with my two hands on the bars, that way I would have more leverage to balance the bike.

I used to try rocking the bike while standing on some step stools before when I rode a taller BMW R1200RT but that didn't work well either. Best route for me has been to stand on the left side, but with the CTX I just don't seem to have the right leverage to rock it forward. Need to try different ideas the next time.

Aloha,
Huladog
You might have to temporarily swallow your pride to solve this one. Here's a thought -- go to your favorite bike dealer, and see if they have anybody on staff who's about your height -- salespeople or mechanics, they're all usually very familiar with all kinds of bikes just from being around them all day every day. Ask around for ideas on the best way for someone your size to get on and off the center stand. I'm just getting bad vibes seeing how you're attempting to do this with yours, and I hate to see you struggling with this. There's no substitute for experience, and most people who have it are usually more than willing to share it. ;)

#13 ·
All of those ideas in the last few posts are scary. I can just see, with either approach, the bike rolling forward a little too much while on the side stand and rolling right off the side stand onto it's side on the floor. As was stated, standing behind or in front for that matter will not allow much leverage to control where it goes. I think for those having issues with getting the bike off the center stand there needs to be some searching if the Gold Wing rideoff center stand will work on this bike or possibly find a shorter stand that will work the same. GW riders, or former GW riders know what I am referring to. A shortened center stand that holds the bike up but the rear tire is JUST touching the ground while still on the center stand. With these you can start up the bike and just lean back a bit and ride right off. They also have a longer lever to put the bike onto the stand making it so easy that GW riders simply push it down while still sitting on the bike and use the reverse motor to pull the bike onto the center stand. Of course our CTX1300s don't have a reverse but a longer lever would still make it easier. I wonder if someone could find such a stand and take some measurements to see if it would fit?

#14 ·
It seems like the centerstand is too tall for this bike. I wonder if it could be shortened by a welder?

#15 ·
i have to ask, for the life of me, i can not get my bike up on the center stand
i used the normal technique of lifting while pushing down with your leg
no luck
i could barely get the bike to elevate, and it was a lot of work
nothing that i have ever had in the past with any other model
i have read here that you all seem to have no problem getting it up, so tell me the secret
i have read the honda manual, just to see if i was doing anything wrong, and all described as i was doing
not too mention numerous youtube videos with various bikes
however, nothing with the ctx1300
now i really want to know how this is done

thanks
darrell

#16 · (Edited)
It is easy if certain conditions exist:
1) the central stand is properly installed
2) the bike is an a flat surface
3) you lower the stand to touch the ground AND you can feel both feet of the stand are touching to floor (I gentle rock the bike sideways to check)
4) the front and back wheels are aligned (use the left hand on the bar to check)
5) you have the right hand in the proper position
6) The gear is in neutral or you are pulling the clutch

Once the condition are in place , you put the right foot on the stand lever, you adjust the foot so that it can support your weight, you step on the lever like you are climbing a ladder AND use the right arm to help pulling back the bike (do not pull up). Mostly is your weight that does the work. The left hand is just keeping the bike straight. For me the most common mistake is not to lower properly the stand so that both feet are touching the floor: since the lever can't work properly the bike doesn't budge.

I hope this helps.

#17 · (Edited)
Don't you learn that kind of stuf on the driving school?
Here in Europa men has to take lessons in theory, handling a bike and driving a bike in daily traffic.
when your driving instructor finds you are able to drive, you have to make 3 tests by an examinator to get your licence.
handling considers: walking with your bike, parking (put the bike on and of center stand), making u turns, figure 8's, emergency stops, fast and slow slaloms etc.

perhaps this may help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aLO8RpYbI
or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TGuO03wHM
good luck.

Reactions: csdexter
#20 ·
I'll have to ride with someone who has this bike with a center stand sometime. I know the GL1500 is the heaviest bike I've put on a center stand, but that one wasn't all that bad if done right. Don't know how the CTX1300 would do since I don't have the center stand.

#21 ·
in no way take this to be harsh but go find a guy that can put a bike on a stand and watch
if you are trying to pull the bike back it will never go
just stand on the lever and the bike will pop right up
once you master it you will never have a problem
you just cant put the directions in words
put left hand on bar, right foot on lever, right hand on passenger grab handle
then stand up
it really is that easy

#23 ·
Changing oil with the center stand

I have a question for those of you that have the center stand on their CTX and change their own oil... When the bike is on the center stand does it get in the way of trying to put a drain pan under the oil filter when removing it? I'm thinking of getting the center stand and my primary reason is for changing the oil & oil filter, but if it's in the way of having a drain pan under the oil filter when removing well then it's useless to me. I've looked under the bike and it looks like to me that there is a good chance that the center stand would be right in the way of having a drain pan under the filter for the engine oil to drain into when removing??? I used a small piece of 2x4 under the kick stand when I done the break-in oil change. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

#28 ·
When the bike is on the center stand does it get in the way of trying to put a drain pan under the oil filter when removing it?
I had no "drainage" problem changing oil filter and oil with the bike on the center stand. I used a plastic box as a pan 16"x11.5"x5.5"

#24 ·
I don't have the center stand so cannot answer to that part with the CTX. On my ST with center stand I did note a bit of issue with the drain pan on that bike. I do as you stated with the 2x4 under the side stand and feel that allows oil to drain better since the drain plug is on the left side. I think it even makes it easier to reach under and work on remove/replace of the filter from the right side with the bike tilted over a bit. I think I would still do that even if I did have a center stand. But others who have the center stand need to post in here and provide their insight.

Reactions: Hoosierman
#25 ·
Interesting. So given that it requires a new skill to get the bike onto a stand, and it doesn't present any maintenance benefits, what's the real driver for having a center stand on this bike?

Jeff

#26 ·
This would be my take on it. Years ago I had a CL360T left it on the side stand on a hot day parked on asphalt, came back after awhile and the bike was laying on its side, side stand sank into hot asphalt. The center stand having 2 feet instead of 1 would be more stable on soft surfaces, the stand may sink but only til the rear wheel makes contact with the ground and since the bike isn't leaning should stay upright, the 2 feet of center stand acts like out riggers to keep it from tipping.

#30 ·
I've pretty much given up on using the centerstand on mine. I've been able to get it up onto the stand ONCE, with help from another biker. We both used to own GL1200 Gold Wings and never really had any problem doing this, but the CTX seems nearly impossible. The last time we tried, we almost dumped the bike. And this was on a flat, concrete floor in the garage. I'll try looking at those videos you guys mentioned. Maybe I'm not grabbing things at the right angle or something. But at this point I have zero confidence that I'll be able to use it on my own and consider it a waste of money.
:mad:

#32 ·
Unfortunately the garage (which is the only place I normally need the center stand) is fairly flat, and so are the streets around us. So I will need to learn to do this on level ground.

Maybe I can get Bob and/or some of the other guys to demonstrate the technique when I meet them in Spring Green in a few weeks! :smileygarden_de_ban

Reactions: bob
#33 ·
Okay... Thanks for the info guys. :ty: I think I'm just gonna pass on the center stand for now. I can get by with using the side stand for what I need to do like changing the engine oil & filter. I've already done it once like that and it wasn't that bad. So I think I will just save my money for a different farkle for the CTX. :)

#34 ·
Yesterday, while I was at the dealership getting new sneakers for my motorcycle, I had them install my center stand. It had been sitting in a corner of my shed for months while I went back and forth over doing the installation myself. I had a very good reason for wanting it on the bike now. When I ran over some random piece of metal, it put a small puncture in my tire. It took me way too long to find it, with having to check a section, mark it with tape, roll the bike forward a few inches, check the next section, mark it, repeat, repeat, repeat... Turns out the hole was just an inch or so before the first section that I checked. Also, I was tired of doing that same dance when it came time to clean the back wheel, nevermind the fact that it's a real pain to even reach the left side properly. On the way home from the shop, I stopped for gas and decided to test out the center stand. Grabbed the left handlebar, put my foot on the center stand lever, stood the bike up so that both feet were touching, put my right hand under the passenger grab handle, pushed down with my right foot, and POP, it went right up, easy and fast. When it came time to ride off, I sat on the bike, rocked it forward, and the center stand snapped back into place. I did have to push a little harder than I expected, but it was certainly not a huge effort. I'm sure it helps that I'm freaking huge and me riding any smaller bike would look like a bear riding a tricycle. The only thing I have to be careful of is hitting the passenger backrest with my foot as I board the vessel while it's in the elevated position. I don't want to skuff the upholstery. :)

Reactions: psullam
#35 ·
I too had trouble getting my bike up on the centre stand. I'm short 5'7 - the first few goes I sweated swore and cursed. Then I followed the guidelines from this post and now have no trouble - it goes up first time. Really makes cleaning the rims easy and also putting air in the tyres. Great advice and my only suggestion is persevere and practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.