CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I am CHEAP so I didn't want to $pend nice bucks on a Sena setup just because I wanted to listen to some tunes while riding. No, I really don't want to talk on my phone, but I can see how that might be useful if needed. No, I don't ride in a group where I need to talk to other riders. Plus if I got a Sena setup I would be stuck using just one of my helmets and couldn't switch helmets on a whim. Did I mention that I am CHEAP?

So I researched different ideas like just plugging in a set of earphones to my iPhone and being done with it but I realized since I usually keep my phone in my pants pocket how would I adjust volume or jump tracks? Oh, maybe there is a volume control on the headset cord, but they're usually tiny and not designed for a gloved hand. What about routing that headset cord between the earphones and the phone?

OK, so maybe Bluetooth is the way to go. Yeah, there are some Bluetooth earplugs but they usually require some sort of control unit with battery.

Anyway, long story short since I always ride with noise reducing earplus anyway I ended up getting a set of Plugfones (noise reducing earplugs with speakers) plus a Jumbl (Bluetooth receiver, with battery, control buttons and noise cancelling mic).

Figured I could clip the Jumbl on my jacket somewhere that a gloved hand could tap the controls, especially to control the volume. Cheap enough from Amazon.

How does it work? Sorry no time for a road test yet but I did put it together, charged it up, paired to my phone, stuck them in my ears and walked around the house quite far from the phone and they work just fine. This made me realize you could use them for shop or yard work without carrying around your phone, or iPad, etc, for your music source.

Hey, the speakers aren't the high end stuff but I've got a set of Etymotic ER6i's that are much better for real music listening and since they don't make that model anymore I don't want to wreck them since the cords are pretty delicate.

Also looked at the Fuze products which included a Bluetooth setup, but I chose the Jumbl since it didn't cost much and had decent reviews online.

Did I mention I am CHEAP and at least I can ride with different helmets and still have my sound system stuck in my ears.

Aloha,
Huladog

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Looked those up. About $60 total? That makes the setup about half what I just bought from Amazon. I did go for the Sena smh5fm02 (smh5 with fm receiver and mic set for full face helmet) for just under $120. There are additional base mounts for multiple helmets if I want for about $36. Only I have no need for more than one helmet so just need the one unit attached to it. There are lots of options out there. You gotta find what works best for you, and sounds like you did. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it works just fine.

Finally got the chance to ride with this setup and it works just fine. Had to be sure to get the earplugs seated correctly otherwise the usual wind noise drowns things out.

Wasn't sure I would like having tunes in my head while riding, but after three hours I realized this was a good thing.

Yep, Sena has some fine units available and they've got some new ones that are slim and tiny. All kinds of options out there for everyone to try.

The thing is that besides wearing several different helmets I was thinking that since I wear decent earplugs to block out the wind noise it would also muffle any music from helmet mounted speakers although I know you can use aftermarket helmet speakers to boost the volume.

Aloha,
Huladog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts