CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have just traded my 2005 Victory TC 1500 for a 2014 CTX 1300 Deluxe. Immediately added the tall windshield after the first ride in the rain and have a center stand, luggage rack and trunk being installed later this week. I am retired Navy and retiring again this week from a few years in a shipbuilding related Defense Industry job. The CTX is my retirement gift to me! I live in prime pleasure riding country in Fauquier County VA - just a short ride to Sperryville and the Thorntons Gap entrance to Shenandoah National Park... Have been riding only a few years ...so, although a "senior citizen" rider I am far from a veteran rider. Looking forward to networking and learning from the forum members.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Congrats on the CTX1300 purchase and welcome to the forum! I live in NC, just east of Greensboro. I like to ride up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, in fact, I make frequent trips. I was up your way two weeks ago. Maybe we can meet up sometime. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @John Hagan.
Would be nice to live so close to such great riding roads!
I was also in the Navy in aviation... but only a few short years (4 + 10 months). The rest of my time was Air Nat. Guard starting out with one of the same jets I supported in the Navy. Now retired military also and waiting for the right time to retire from my "other" government job.
Enjoy the riding! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rejoining the forum after a long absence when my connectivity was bad - Entering the third year of riding my "new" CTX-1300 (christened Red Rider). Recently returned from my second annual reunion / rally with friends and shipmates in and around Robbinsville, NC, a 500 mile ride. We rode the famed "Tail of the Dragon" (TOTD) a few times where professional photographers take your picture and then sell them to you on line (Photo attached of last years ride). The CTX 1300 performed well, although I am not fond of the TOTD. I ride it carefully and as a relative beginner it is too much work, leaving me little cognitive margin to actually enjoy the ride, although this year I got a little better at techniques. BUT the other rides in the area are great, especially the Cherohala Skyway, the Moonshiner Run, the road through the Joyce Kilmer National Forest and virtually every other byway in the Western North Carolina / Eastern Tennessee area. Planning to ride to a rally starting in Albuquerque, NM in the fall. Enjoying following the thread of one of our group taking the cross country trip now. Any and all recommendations on preparing for the cross country ride solicited

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Heya John!
I just finished my 8th day, and it looks like I have two more to go until I reach the Pacific Ocean. I have a bit of advice that I'm sure others will add to. First, take all of the stuff you plan on packing on your trip, look carefully at that pile, and reduce it down to one-third the size. I think I read that here somewhere, sorry but I can't remember who came up with it, but I failed to follow this advice. :( I actually spent about $50 to send two boxes of un-needed supplies back home to make room on my bike. You want to count on needing extra room for souvenirs or just to give you more wiggle room for stuff if you find yourself pressed for time (like packing and unpacking your rain gear). Second, I find that I have the most fun when I can totally avoid interstates. I had to pound down I-70 today where the speed limit is 80 and traffic was going 90. I was on that road for at least four hours. The view of the desert was great, and there were a couple of scenic overlooks to stop at, but it's just not as much fun as taking smaller roads. Sometimes it can't be helped, but seek out the roads that will give you the most enjoyment. I use my phone as a GPS, and I am following US 50. I plot in my destination and tell the phone to avoid highways and for the most part (aside from it putting me on a goat path or two), it's working out great. Third: Drink lots of water. Seriously. LOTS. You will dehydrate much faster with wind whipping past you all day. Dehydration makes your reflexes slower and fuzzes your thought process too. Fourth: Talk to the people you meet. I'm making a point to strike up a conversation where ever I go, and I have not yet met someone who didn't want to chat. People are wonderful! Fifth: Don't overthink your bike preparations. As long as you are getting it serviced when it's supposed to get it, you should be good with fresh tires and an oil change. This bike eats the miles up, no joke.

That's all I have for now... Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
John,

You are riding in my favorite area! The TOTD is a bit overcrowded for my taste...too many hot-shots looking to make the best time. I enjoy a good cruise! Keep on riding, having fun, and being safe! Great TOTD picture by the way.

Best,
Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that great advice. I learned the packing lesson when I took my 8 day trip to NC / TN and only wore about 1/3 of the clothes I packed. (I discovered that blue jeans are good for a long time before they become unwearable) and I was too tired in the evening to read any of the books I packed - but i think I will follow the rule you quote.. Looking forward to your future posts and to some photos.. J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts