CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, while cleaning and protecting the finished part of the bike with wax is pretty standard, what about the black plastic parts, such as the saddlebags, tail case, and other bodywork panels that are not really painted?

I've got a little bit of this on my nighthawk, but the CTX1300 has far more, and I want my bike (when I get it) to last as long as possible, and look good doing it.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I use Plexus on just about everything. I probably should throw a coat of wax on the 'body' parts, but I usually just hit everything (except seats and controls) with Plexus, wipe clean with a soft cloth, then wipe again with microfiber.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to say I clean a little a lot. I generally take 10 -15 minutes every time I get home to get the bugs off unless I've been caught in the rain. I used to use Plexus but a local bike shop pointed me to another product. A much larger can and about half the price and works just as well.

Ipone Clean R Polish which I use on the paint and other plastic. Keeps the black plastic looking good, safe on the paint and windshield.

IPONE - CLEAN R POLISH

:smiley-happy0034:

Reactions: HansenCTX

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I just use the Honda spray cleaner... after cleaning off any bugs and other tough grime. For that I use Amway LOC or another auto body cleaner that's good for Fiberglas and plastic (prefer the LOC since it does a better job). For the shield, only water to soak off bugs and Honda spray to polish. Works well for all painted and non-painted plastic. Since this is first bike in a while that I've had with chrome I added one more step. Honda spray for the chrome exhaust pipe header covers at the engine and also the muffler and cover parts. Then I clean/polish the chrome pipes themselves with a small bit of aluminum foil dipped in water. Works wonders there.

Ed- the pipes are now much cleaner than they were in a previous photo :D

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I used to use Honda Clean too, but I haven't been able to find it at two different Honda dealers this year. The two cans I had froze in the garage over the winter and wouldn't spray any more, so it's back to Plexus. I think it's almost the same stuff anyway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
For the CTX1300, I'm using a Muc-Off kit that contains a shampoo-like pink thing in a trigger-squirter bottle and a spray, along with an assortment of brushes, a sponge and a microfibre cloth.

Throw (well, not literally) a bucket of water over the bike; spray it with the shampoo thing covering all dirty areas; work the shampoo in with the sponge in stubborn places (e.g. squashed bugs); throw another bucket of water to rinse it; dry it with the sponge; spray it with the spray and finally buff it with the microfibre cloth. Takes me about 1h if I slack it and looks like new after.

For the Venture, I used Citrus Fresh Degreaser (the kind you wipe the floor with). I know it's not supposed to be used on vehicles but (1) it said on the label it doesn't eat plastic or aluminium, (2) I used about half a cup in 5L of water and (3) the bike came out squeaky clean every time with no damage to any surface so win-win :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I have been using 'Original Bike Spirits' spray cleaner and polish for years. This spray cleaner/polish seems to do a great job. Since I purchased the CTX (4 days ago) I have only used this product on the front fairing to remove bugs from the day's ride. Have any of you used this product? What are your thoughts? I might switch back to using Honda's spray cleaner however, they are more expensive and not as easy to find around town. I guess I could but a case off the internet and keep them in the garage.

Here is a link to the Original Bike Spirits website: Motorcycle Cleaning and Performance Products - Original Bike Spirits

They have many products and they are all around my area.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I used to use Honda Clean too, but I haven't been able to find it at two different Honda dealers this year. The two cans I had froze in the garage over the winter and wouldn't spray any more, so it's back to Plexus. I think it's almost the same stuff anyway.
I had a can of the stuff freeze over the winter, too, and thought I'd have to throw it away. But it occurred to me that the Honda Spray Cleaner has wax in it. So I put the can in a bowl of medium-hot water for a few hours, and it brought it back to life. I think the wax had just solidified and needed to get re-liquified.

I love the Honda Spray Cleaner--it's pretty much all I use except for a deep cleaning with water, etc. (which I may be doing this evening). A couple of times a year my dealer will have a sale with a substantial discount on parts and accessories, so last time I picked up six cans and kept them in the basement.

One tip: the ONLY thing you want to use on the bike is microfiber towels!! Paper towels will scratch the finish immediately and it will be a mess. It seems especially noticeable on black bikes. I keep plastic polish and swirl removers around for when I get scuffed areas, though they don't seem to work as well on the plastic parts as they did on the painted surfaces of the Shadow. I'm very particular about the looks of the bike and scratches make me kinda crazy. :D

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts

Here you go Ed. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I had a can of the stuff freeze over the winter, too, and thought I'd have to throw it away. But it occurred to me that the Honda Spray Cleaner has wax in it. So I put the can in a bowl of medium-hot water for a few hours, and it brought it back to life. I think the wax had just solidified and needed to get re-liquified.
Damm, I wish I had known that. Threw out two almost full cans. :(

One tip: the ONLY thing you want to use on the bike is microfiber towels!! Paper towels will scratch the finish immediately and it will be a mess. It seems especially noticeable on black bikes. I keep plastic polish and swirl removers around for when I get scuffed areas, though they don't seem to work as well on the plastic parts as they did on the painted surfaces of the Shadow. I'm very particular about the looks of the bike and scratches make me kinda crazy. :D
Oh yeah, I never use paper. I have a bunch of soft, lint-free towels from somewhere that I use for the initial cleaning, and then I 'buff' it out with microfiber.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I generally don't wash my bikes unless I've been riding on salted roads.

I had to clean the windshield on the blue bike when I added the Laminar Lip so I went ahead and washed the whole bike. I just used Joy dish washing soap in a bucket of water.

I have hard water that tends to spot badly, so I touch-dried the bike with a chamois.

I generally take the windshields in the house once per year and wash them up in the sink with dish washing soap and lots of water. I just use my bare hands and no cloth.

I currently own three vehicles and only one of them has ever been washed. If I had a heated and drained garage I might wash the bikes on a rainy day. But generally I tend to go riding on the days when the weather is good enough to wash the bikes outside.

I haven't waxed a bike since the early seventies. That just seems like a lot of work for a minimal benefit. My Dad washed and waxed his Harleys just about every weekend. He enjoyed that as much as I enjoy riding. His bikes always looked like you could reach your hand into the paint.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I try not to wash my bike either... I use and really like the LUCAS Slick Mist w/microfiber cloth. I use that on everything except for the tires and the seat. It does a real nice job. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use a wax product called, Green Magic (a little pricey) but it does an awesome job. On the non painted parts I use, Mothers Back to Black. Mothers is good also but doesn't last long.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've actually never seen the honda spray cleaner, though I don't think I've lookd very hard.

My nighthawk has paint on plastic and metal, so I've always just used the same stuff I use on cars. For the chrome, chrome polish. I'm more about making sure the finish/plastic lasts as long as possible, especially the rubber parts. I've got an older car, and a lot of the exterior rubber/plastic is starting to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just used Plexus (ordered it from Revzilla) to clean the black plastic body panels and windshield. Holy cow, that was easy and looks great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another thing to consider is UV protection. There are some products out there, like 303 aerospace protectant, turtle wax super protectant, yamahas "vinyl dressing" and some stuff from other companies specifically designed to stop UV, which is one of the big things that ages plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts