CTX 1300 Forum banner

Coming from a "sporting" background

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  J.Klepac 
#1 ·
I've ridden about 2800 miles on the CTX in the last 2 months on the CTX and I'm having a hard time "bonding" with the bike.

Out of the 20+ bikes I've owned this is my first cruiser/tourer. Every one of my past bikes have been either sport or sport touring types. While you'd think the CTX would be a welcome break from the sporty ergos I find I'm not as comfy in the relaxed position.

I won't even mention how ridiculous I look running it through mountain twisties.

So, anyone else experience this? What's your solution? Should I just relax, smell the roses and enjoy the CTX for what it is? Trade up for an FJR or Concourse? I feel bad because, the CTX is a great ride, maybe just not a great ride for me?

#2 ·
@SailorJack ,
Seems like you've ridden enough to know what you like/don't like. Sounds like it doesn't fit your own expectations. The CTX is a different design.
It is a redesign of the ST1300, but still not a replacement. If you look at my long photo thread, you can see I've been around on mine also.
I still love the CTX, but I'm the opposite of you. I prefer maxi scooters. I keep it, ride it, and enjoy it. But my passion and smiles per mile isn't maxed out (tongue in cheek there).
It isn't really a trade UP. It is a move over to fit your preferred style.
A runner doesn't use $600 Italian dress shoes and a businessman doesn't use $200 Reeboks in their professions.
I see you are involved with the MSF also, so I'm sure you've done the same on advising riders to get a bike that fits them.
Maybe you'll get some feedback on others that have straddled the same fence and how they adapted.
Once you've decided and taken action, please come back and post your experience, decision, reasoning, and results. While it may not help one, it may help two others.....

#3 ·
Coming from the sport-touring and now riding the CTX1300 exclusively on mountain roads, I think this machine is adequate but not comparable with any sport-touring.
I found the CTX comfortable on medium-short trip but now I own also a 2018 Goldwing for the long trip.
The lack of comfort can be improved and time will help your body to adjust but my suggestion is go back to your favorite style (FJR and Concours are both excellent machine).
Life is too short.

#4 ·
@SailorJack I've been riding Honda ST's since 1994 and and still own a ST1300. To be honest I prefer the ST over the CTX as its such a fun bike to ride. IMO I think it may be one of the best bikes ever made. However, I am also in love with my CTX. This is mainly due to the fact that my body doesn't like me riding the ST any more. My shoulders and knees just cant take it. The CTX has made me slow down a bit and is much easier on the body. Not quite as much fun in the twisties as the ST but more fun in other ways.

Each person has their own preference. At the end of the day I say go with what puts a smile on your face.

#5 ·
I would mirror what @JRob says in a way... I never owned an ST but that was about the only one and type interested in for the 20+ years I Didn’t ride. So when I finally did buy at the broken down old age of 58 I tried to consider what riding position my ailments would allow over time and sport touring style wasn’t what came to mind. Hence the CTX. And for me, I’m sure I look goofy riding twisties on my CTX but that just isn’t a thought that has crossed my mind. I’m having a blast!
It seems like you’ve already decided and I know if I were in the same boat I would not be happy till I had what I wanted. You may take a bit of a bath on price but if you can - I say get what you WANT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I've ridden about 2800 miles on the CTX in the last 2 months on the CTX and I'm having a hard time "bonding" with the bike.

I won't even mention how ridiculous I look running it through mountain twisties.

@SailorJack Why do you feel that way? I come from a ST background also and it is taking me a bit to find the "footpegs", so to speak, but if it is my choice to ride the CTX so what? I chose the CTX also because while I would prefer the ST style, it is no longer suitable for my age, so I ride my own ride, as best as I can. If you can still do ST bikes and that is what you want that is what you should do. My 2 cents.

#8 ·
....I won't even mention how ridiculous I look running it through mountain twisties.
Seems like it is not the bike for you. Get something you can bond with, by all means! I came from a raucous sport bike (with saddlebags) but I bonded with the CTX right away and I surprised myself doing it. I still love the twisties, but I have dialed back and just have fun. And I eventually found the foot pegs! As far as looking ridiculous carving it up, I just think of my friend's story (he was there) of a really good rider on a Burgman making a couple of guys in full leathers riding Ducati's look ridiculous on Angeles Crest (a motorcycle favorite in LA area). And then there was a Gold Wing I saw carving it up once (2 up even) and I think that helped me even look at the CTX.

Hope you find your bond...

#9 ·
I came from the 1985 V65 Sabre, it is a sport touring bike from the 80s. There is a distinct difference between the sabre and the ctx 1300. The ctx does not try to rip your shoulders off when u hit the accelerator, but she is more maneuverable than my Sabre. The CTX has a wicked low center of gravity and a 4 cylinder power plant, the tranny is the difference here. My wife has a Valkrie, It will give u that omfg feeling if i am feeling the need. It is a choice, im a tad to slow and my reflexes cant hang with a 90+ hp motorcycle.
Am i slower in my old age, lol. **** yes, Im also meaner and I cheat. Do yall remember the story about the young bull and the old bull?

I like the CTX and it is my choice. Find yours as time waits for no man

#10 ·
I'd like to add a P.S. here. @SailorJack ,
Hope these responses didn't come out too negative. We are a good forum here. We are more interested in a happy rider than a rider that has to like our bike.
Of course we'd like to see you stay on the CTX, but not if it doesn't put the smiles there. We also would like you to remain a member and visit us if you move on.
(if you do, come back and show off a couple photos and pass out the virtual cigars)

While some say you have to own brand XX to be a real biker, we say you are a biker even if you don't own one but have the dream in your heart/soul.
Having said that, some of us (like me) like to yank chains on occasion just for fun and giggles and intend no harm/foul.

#11 ·
Thank you all for the advice and shared experiences which is exactly what I came here for.
@willajabir you are correct. As an MSF instructor my first day of class consists of a lot of familiarizing the new riders with the different types of bikes out there and to find a bike that will fit their use, riding style, and physical size first, then go for the other stuff. Guess I should listen to my own advice. Also, @willajabir, your ride report on ADVrider helped bring me to the CTX in the first place! Great pics but that thread needs an update! :)

Saying that, I have a 5th gen VFR that gives me my fix for sporty stuff.

I want to keep the CTX but I forsee suspension, seat, and tire mods/changes in the future (will a 190/55 work giving me a higher profile, more eager tip-in and a lil more clearance?) but this will just send me digging a hole to make the CTX something it isn't.
@Willmarth Like you I have a VFR also (I've had about 5 different Honda VF/VFR's). Maybe what I need to do is make a trailer for the CTX so I can tow the VFR behind the CTX!!! When I get to the mountains, unload the VFR and ride like a fool! Best of both worlds?
@bljdb you are correct, I would definitely be taking a wash in price, trade in/resale of the CTX is not very good but getting what I want is important, but not everything.

Anyway, I have thinking to do, lots of variables to weigh. The smart decision is to keep the CTX, ride and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not always the smartest. Thanks again all!

#18 ·
I've also come from a sport/sport touring world, and have never owned a cruiser before. Our previous touring bike was a 2005 Concours 1000, but 21+ years of military PT and nearly 30 years of working all day on concrete has taken its toll on my knees. My wife was never really comfortable on the Concours, and as she gets older our rides have gotten shorter as well, so we began looking for something with more comfort and less sport.
My legs are too short for anything from BMW, big twin cruisers have too much bar vibration for my previously broken right hand, and the new Goldwing doesn't fit our budget right now.
When we found a low miles CTX at an incredible price, I knew we had to check it out. I've only put about 400 miles on it in the 5 days we've had it, but I'm absolutely sold on it. It is definitely different than what I'm used to; it's heavy, it doesn't turn in as easily, and it definitely doesn't accelerate like my Concours, especially since the Connie has been fitted with ZX10R cams and carbs. But what it does is lets us ride for hours at a time without knee pain for me and without hip and lower back pain for her. The CTX also has a lower center of gravity than the Connie and behaves much better at parking lot speeds than the Connie.
It is an entirely different style of riding; it's more relaxed, more comfortable and seems less rushed, even though we're generally traveling at the same speeds. Instead of remaining focused on the curves, ensuring I've picked the best line, the optimal gear, etc, now I find I'm appreciating the scenery a bit more. I'm still thoroughly enjoying the ride, just in a different way.
And if I feel the need to have my shoulders pulled on a bit when I twist the grip, I've still got my little Yamaha FZ07, which does 0-60 in the same time as an R6, and will lift the front tire shifting from 2nd to 3rd. :giggle:

#19 ·
I've always ridden touring style bikes. But having worked doing Honda Demo rides (actually a paid vacation) and ridden all they offered for 9 yrs straight the only darn bike I was ever pulled over on for speeding was that darn ST1300 down at Daytona. Although we did have some close calls on the VTX 1800s. Too much fun. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.