CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Corbin standard seat. About 6 foot 32 pant seam length. Want to hear opinions on which backrest style you have as I need to find one so I can do a full comparison with my current custom seat.

Oval or solid , swivel or not

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
I don't have a Corbin.. but I do have a solid back rest and I like that, though the lower back can get a bit sweaty in my region. The backrest I use also has up and down swivel which I like because then there are almost infinite options for where I place my body.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a Corbin.. but I do have a solid back rest and I like that, though the lower back can get a bit sweaty in my region. The backrest I use also has up and down swivel which I like because then there are almost infinite options for where I place my body.
I think that the sweat thing is why the oval cut out style is Corbin most popular.

·
Registered
CTX 1300D
29 Posts
Just purchased a Corbin standard seat. About 6 foot 32 pant seam length. Want to hear opinions on which backrest style you have as I need to find one so I can do a full comparison with my current custom seat.

Oval or solid , swivel or not

Thanks
I got the Utopia backrest for the stock seat. It takes some upholstery work to install it, but it's nice. It is strange how it leans forward at rest, I'm thinking for the passenger, but it lays back when you sit down. It comes up high enough to be comfortable on the back. Good luck in your search. Post a pic of your new seat.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Corbin with the seat back rest on my CTX that’s the oval that swivels, I like that I can adjust it to a slightly more forward to give me a little extra support, as for getting on/off it’s not been too difficult. It’s taken a while for the seat to get broken in but certainly worth it. It makes rides much more comfortable. As for the passenger the trunk seat back is all that’s available to my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
As for the passenger the trunk seat back is all that’s available to my knowledge.
There are separate color match backrests that would be used without the trunk / top case.

Passenger Backrest w/Pad (Black)08R71-MJN-D00ZA
Passenger Backrest w/Pad (Red)08R71-MJN-D00ZC
Passenger Backrest w/Pad (Blue)08R71-MJN-D00ZD
Passenger Backrest w/Pad (White)08R71-MJN-D00ZB

note: you will need the carrier if you don't have one:
Rear carrier08L70-MJN-A00ZB

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my Corbin seat from a nice guy I met on this forum, and he had an aftermarket back rest to go with it. It's solid, and does not swivel. I have it leaning a bit forward so as to support my lower back. I like it very much. I'm 5'10", also with a 32" inseam, and have no trouble swinging my leg over to get OFF the bike, but usually slip my leg over the seat to get on the bike. It's a sold back rest, not an oval, and I've not had any issues with sweat. My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Corbin with the seat back rest on my CTX that’s the oval that swivels, I like that I can adjust it to a slightly more forward to give me a little extra support, as for getting on/off it’s not been too difficult. It’s taken a while for the seat to get broken in but certainly worth it. It makes rides much more comfortable. As for the passenger the trunk seat back is all that’s available to my knowledge.
Looking for lower back support. Where would you say the support hits your back?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a chance to put a test ride on the seat today. Definitely need to adjust the bars up as seat is back and taller than custom rebuild seat. The leg position is perfect for me, however I am now head fully in the wind. Good for short warm rides, and maybe the bar lift will get me sitting more upright and head further from wind shield.

I think its going to be one of those, " 1 good thing deserves 2 or more other options"

If anyone riding a corbin standard with around 6 foot tall body that wants to offer me a few suggestions I am all ears.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I have the Corbin and backrest. Bought used here in the classifieds. I love the seat. Just finished 3500 mi ride with the Corbin and a bead rider. I had a pack on the passenger seat, so no room for the backrest. I did several hundred miles with the Corbin and it’s backrest before the trip. I still haven’t found the right angle for the backrest. I had it where the previous owner had it, but it was way too far forward. I adjusted it once, but it’s still too far forward. I have fought lower back pain for many years. Had back surgery 20+ yrs ago. On an adventure bike I have no problem, as I sit more upright. The CTX was getting to me, as it’s just a little more reclined. Hopefully I’ll get the backrest dialed in. FYI, I‘m 6’5” 35“ inseam.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your opinions.
My corbin lifted and shifted me rear from the custom it came with.
Curious how high you have your handle bars now if you could do a center stand measurement some day, I raised mine 3 inches. I think they were to low originally, and really needed to lift them with corbin to get my lower back straightened.
You probably know how the backrest works with two adjustment points and the different screw sizes. I just watched their video for my enlightenment as my last one was a little different from around 2000.
I definitely feel the corbin is a better seat, but even with poor fit for my size the other seat with backrest supported my lower back correctly so my lower back issue didn't come into play with about 25-30 hours in the saddle over a 48 hour period. Of course my knee and sliding forward made it uncomfortable sitting.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Patrick, I’ll have to find that video. There just appears to be one screw that controls the angle of the post. Another to raise and lower the pad on the post. I might be doing it incorrectly.
Thanks

I did raise my bars, but I did not add an actual bar riser. I just changed the angle. I’ve got them where I want them now, but my mirrors are a little blocked. So I added extra mirrors up top. The backrest is a great place to set your helmet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
That would be the MRA X-Creen. It is available at many vendors as well as Amazon. Comes with a clamp mount or bolt on, and also can have it with both. Perfect solution to bump the air stream up without raising the shield so you can still look over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be the MSR X-Creen. It is available at many vendors as well as Amazon. Comes with a clamp mount or bolt on, and also can have it with both. Perfect solution to bump the air stream up without raising the shield so you can still look over.
Anyone try one of the cheap ones on Amazon? I assume the cheap ones are like the thin face shield for helmet vs thicker like windshield.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts